Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know people want a 4 team playoff, but the reason why...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

I know people want a 4 team playoff, but the reason why...

Oct 22, 2017, 10:54 AM

I want more teams is due to scenarios like this, which could easily happen.

I think Bama is in, or at worst UGA. If ND beats Miami, NCSU, and Stanford they are in. That could easily happen. TCU beats the Sooners and they are likely in. Big 10 will have a team this year. We win out and we are left out. You lose a QB and a kicker and you have 1 bad game and it can easily knock you out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know people want a 4 tem playoff, but the reason why...

Oct 22, 2017, 11:00 AM

A lot of football to be played. It will work itself out, just let it play out. Strange things happen as the season goes on. 8 teams water it down.
If we win out we will be ok.

The way this year is shaping up, there will be ...

Oct 22, 2017, 11:06 AM

quality 1 loss teams left out.

We haven't looked like a playoff team for at least half of

Oct 22, 2017, 11:01 AM

our games, I would just as soon not get in if we don't have the horses to win...There are a lot of similarities between us and last year's OSU team, if we played a good team the way we played last Friday, we get B1Gged

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We looked just about exactly like we did this time last year

Oct 22, 2017, 11:33 AM

We did pretty fair then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry, is Watson still here? Or do we have QB issues?***

Oct 22, 2017, 1:03 PM

Watson was special for sure.

Oct 22, 2017, 1:16 PM

We should have lost to NCS and then lost to Pitt. I'm just pointing out that we didn't look like the national champions about this time of the season. I remember our team playing like their hair was on fire after those two games.

We'll see if we can repeat that type season when GT shows up Saturday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our offense is not good enough to beat a playoff team***

Oct 22, 2017, 2:19 PM

sorry the truth hurts your feelings***

Oct 22, 2017, 1:04 PM [ in reply to We haven't looked like a playoff team for at least half of ]

Re: sorry the truth hurts your feelings***

Oct 22, 2017, 4:34 PM

Your truth might not be someone else's truth. Alot of football left to be played. ??

Oct 22, 2017, 11:01 AM

I think you're overestimating ND's chances. If it comes down to splitting hairs sitting on the couch the last week while other teams play in big games is going to hurt them. I think there's more politicking in the committee than some want to admit. ND has brand appeal for networks but the the committee members represent contingencies that don't include the golden domers and the odds of them spurning a conference for an independent who wants to play by their own rules seems low.

I could be wrong on ND, but...

Oct 22, 2017, 11:05 AM

I see their schedule as weak. I have watched all of their remaining opponents and I see them as the better team in all of their remaining games. That said, they could easily lose 1 more. I think they run the table though, due to the weakness of their remaining opponents, other than Miami who I am still figuring out. Although, I watch Miami weekly living down here in South Fla. I am on the fence with them.

ND does not have a weak schedule

Oct 22, 2017, 1:01 PM

That's just not true. UGA is very good. NC St is good. USC has some talent. Miami is good. BC looks pretty good now. Michigan St is good. Wake is not a pushover. Stanford is decent.

Their schedule is very difficult. If they win out, they will be deserving of being in the conversation.

Snowflake Basher........Out

4 teams is perfect. If ND wins out they deserve to be there.

Oct 22, 2017, 11:09 AM

It will suck for the 2 conferences left out, but so it goes. I think a 1 loss conference champ gets in over ND though.
No way both UGA and Bama go like some have suggested.
Big 12 will beat itself out of the CFP.
BIG10 will get 1 in.
It all works out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

If ND goes undefeated they will get in over a 1 loss conf ..

Oct 22, 2017, 11:10 AM

champ team I would think. ND always gets the nod. If it weren't ND I would agree with you.

I'm torn on this. BIG12 was out the 1st year for no conf champ game

Oct 22, 2017, 11:23 AM

ND will have a sweet resume if they win out, but so will team #5 right? Hard to say, but if ot comes down to 12-1 ACC Champ and defending national chmp who lost 1 game, on the road, by 3 pts, with an injured Qb... well in that case I like our chances.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: If ND goes undefeated they will get in over a 1 loss conf ..

Oct 22, 2017, 4:35 PM [ in reply to If ND goes undefeated they will get in over a 1 loss conf .. ]

Nope. ND needs to join a conference and getting left out might push them to. No way they get in over a 1 loss conference champion.

TD here? Really?***

Oct 22, 2017, 12:23 PM [ in reply to 4 teams is perfect. If ND wins out they deserve to be there. ]

null

If ND wins out they deserve to be there - DOUBTFUL.

Oct 22, 2017, 12:39 PM [ in reply to 4 teams is perfect. If ND wins out they deserve to be there. ]

So basically you are saying that ND can be the number 4 team in the country and get a first round bye to get in the playoff when everyone else is playing in a championship game against a highly rated foe to get in.

Lets see what happens after conference championship games.

For ND to make it at 11-1 two of 5 conferences will be left out. If that happens, the conference champions will need to have 2 losses for an 11-1 ND to make it.

As I remember OSU slaughtered Wiscy and jumped several teams to get in the championship game a few years ago and win.

ND jumped other teams that won conference championship games to play in the national championship against Alabama and was slaughtered.

The committee had egg on its face after putting OSU in the playoff last year when they didn't play in the championship game.

There are several history lessons for an 11-1 ND to not make it.

My hope is ND is 11-1 and is left out, and they realize they have to play in a conference.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yes, if they are undefeated and a 1 loss team...

Oct 22, 2017, 12:45 PM

wins their conference, ND can still get the nod. Let's say we beat Miami in the ACCCG and we still are a 1 loss team,then ND still may go over us. ND will be undefeated and they would have already beat Miami as well. Moreover, I think an undefeated ND teams always get preferential treatment. I think if they go undefeated they are likely going.

Re: Yes, if they are undefeated and a 1 loss team...

Oct 22, 2017, 1:09 PM

ND has already lost a game.

Carlsbad, how will ND possibly be undefeated? Already lost to UGA!

Oct 22, 2017, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Yes, if they are undefeated and a 1 loss team... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhhh yes. There goes my whole theory.

Oct 22, 2017, 4:11 PM

Hahahahaha...Great point. Although it was a 1pt loss. why did it take so long for someone to catch my blunder. Thank you.

Re: Ahhhh yes. There goes my whole theory.

Oct 23, 2017, 7:33 PM

I did catch it, but it went over your head.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 22, 2017, 11:27 AM

I think our resume will be very strong if we win out. Kent St will likely be the only team on our schedule below .500. Every road game we have this year is vs bowl teams. We will be Champions of our conference. It will be hard to keep us out.

Only way it works best is every power 5 champ gets in.

Oct 22, 2017, 11:30 AM

Then 3 at large bids. One of those goes to the other conferences if said team is ranked in top 15.

Then there really is no controversy except the few at large bids which would still create drama and conversation

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only way it works best is every power 5 champ gets in.

Oct 22, 2017, 4:38 PM

Nope. 6 max. 1&2 get a bye. 5 conference champions plus 1.

Today's phrase is "PLAYOFF CRED," boys and girls.

Oct 22, 2017, 11:30 AM

Has ESPiN conned you into believing that the SEC will have two teams in the playoff? Shame, shame.

I'm not trying to be contentious, my friend. I strongly disagree with your assessment of that scenario. Clemson has played in the championship game in the last two years and we have the last trophy in our case.

We will have a conference championship and a super SOS. According to Athlon the only team on the list of 'In's,' with a better SoS is Bama.

I have 1 SEC team in.**

Oct 22, 2017, 11:53 AM

I see you did.

Oct 22, 2017, 1:20 PM

I misread the post. Apologizes extended.

I maintain that we're a proven post season team and would get the nod over another one loss team, especially one which doesn't have a conference championship on its resume.

Re: I know people want a 4 team playoff, but the reason why...

Oct 22, 2017, 12:01 PM

Well, that's why we can't take off a week and not pay a price for it.

If we get our offense going we should...

Oct 22, 2017, 12:22 PM

make sure to turn it on all game. In the end they will likely be leaving some 1 loss team or 1 loss teams out that may also be deserving. We should make some statements.

The reason we have a loss is because we weren't good enough.

Oct 22, 2017, 12:45 PM

Not because we "lost" our starting qb... we "lost" our starting qb because we weren't good enough - 1) to protect him. 2) to call better plays based on the game time situation 3) to make better decisions at the qb position. UGA lost their starting qb and have been without him for most of the season. They had a backup that has come in and been pretty good. If our backup had been ANY good we wouldnt be talking about this.

Sometimes there is a stud at backup who is ready.

Oct 22, 2017, 12:52 PM

As far as Bryant and his injury, your reasoning is debatable. Tough to say.

But we were told that we have

Oct 22, 2017, 1:05 PM

3 "studs" at the qb position. Where are they??

Maybe the other 2 need to develop?****

Oct 22, 2017, 1:22 PM

Re: Maybe the other 2 need to develop?****

Oct 22, 2017, 1:37 PM

If we we're averaging 282 yards on the ground, any of our 4 qb's would look great.

I believe the ground game is coming, tho.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The reason we have a loss is because we weren't good enough.

Oct 22, 2017, 1:36 PM [ in reply to The reason we have a loss is because we weren't good enough. ]

Georgia is only attempting an average of 19 passes per game.

The GA running game is making the QB look better than he is.

Yep, that’s football...

Oct 22, 2017, 1:13 PM

and that’s why it’s so great.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

A lot of people are probably not going to agree, but if you are looking to determine a national champion, then the most important part is making sure the top 2 teams are part of the play-off. With four teams, I think that can be done. I'm not worried about the #9 team or the #5 team bellyaching because they were left out if the best two have been selected.

I think the last two years that we have been involved brought to light the logistics (and $$$) involved with fans having to go to a conference championship game, a semi-final game, and then a championship game. At some point, you are going to start to lose fan interest and support.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2017, 6:30 PM

I agree completely with your point about teams who just missed the playoff bellyaching. You also make a good point about loss of fan interest with an expanded playoff.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Disagree

4 is perfect.

You can still get in with a loss and maybe even two. With the bcs, you more or less had to bank on being undefeated without there being some sort of controversy over which 2 made the championship

Keep it at 4 and keep them all from different conferences (unless there is a scenario similar to Bama/LSU a few years ago)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, I forgot ND lost to UGA by 1.

Oct 22, 2017, 4:12 PM

haha...sorry folks. Still it may come down to 1 loss teams.

Oct 22, 2017, 4:30 PM

We will never be left out with 1 loss and an Acc championship. No way.

Oct 22, 2017, 6:47 PM

Every season since the BCS started in 1998, around this time of the season these hypothetical scenarios and debates start. And in those 20 season there’s really been 2 years that the BCS had a major debate...2004 when there were 3 undefeateds and 2011 when Oklahoma St was left out. And had there been 4 teams those wouldn’t have been issues.

Since the playoff started it’s worked itself out pretty nicely each year. 2014 there was some debate, but the Big 12 was left out bc they had no championship game. ND may suffer the same fate this year.

And to the notion of “ND always gets the nod”...when has that actually happened? 2013 they were the only undefeated team, that wasn’t debatable even if most knew they wouldn’t hang up Alabama. There may have been years they got a BS Fiesta Bowl invite but after the national championship game those games were about making money. And that’s why ND got bids. That won’t be a reason they get into the playoffs.

This is a lot of fun to debate and at this point of the season it’s the most fun bc there are seemingly 100 scenarios still in play. But inevitably it works itself out. There’s probably a 95% chance or better that going into the conference championship games there is little debate about who just needs to win their game and get in. Some of them may be de facto quarterfinals...several of them could be this year, which is great. But you can all but be guaranteed there won’t be massive turmoil or chaos in about 6 weeks over who’s getting in.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic