Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone please tell me when this became the thing to do?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 612

Can someone please tell me when this became the thing to do?

Oct 25, 2018, 8:34 AM

Is there a hurricane expected? Tornadoes? Blizzard? I never recall a high school football game changed as a kid unless it was Hugo or something.

http://www.wistv.com/2018/10/24/several-midlands-high-school-football-teams-move-their-games-thursday/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Preach...

Oct 25, 2018, 8:37 AM

I heard a game was moved up due to weather and immediately checked to see if there was some kind of tornado threat coming. Nope, just a cold rain.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So this is just more pussification then?

Oct 25, 2018, 8:39 AM

That's sad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In fairness, playing in a cold rain is pretty

Oct 25, 2018, 8:46 AM

effing miserable. But it will teach you to overcome pain.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe they are trying to preserve field conditions?

Oct 25, 2018, 8:59 AM

Chew up a grass field in the rain this time of year and it won't recover until summer. Same field may be being used for soccer, LAX, etc. in the spring. Possible, but who knows.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Possible all were grass fields except Irmo, Dutch Fork

Oct 25, 2018, 9:02 AM

and Brookland-Cayce

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, look, we're calling it "pussification" in direct

Oct 25, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to So this is just more pussification then? ]

reference to the players, who are obviously softer than the kids from OUR generation. But, the kids aren't making that decision. It's likely being made because probably 75% of the people who would have gone to the game on Friday would probably stay home if it's cold and rainy, because who wants to sit in that? The gate from $3 tickets (or whatever it costs to go to a HS football game these days) and concessions is pretty close to the only source of revenue those programs have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SIX FREAKING DOLLARS A TICKET INCLUDING KIDS

Oct 25, 2018, 9:38 AM

COST ME $18 A COUPLE WEEKS AGO

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but that's York.

Oct 25, 2018, 9:40 AM

Where the Friday night entertainment options are high school football, or wandering around Walmart for three hours, I mean.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. I did go wander around Walmart after the game and

Oct 25, 2018, 9:42 AM

then nothing cause York

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lotta time to kill before all the good parties get started

Oct 25, 2018, 9:45 AM

down in The Valley.

I always rolled with the Calis. The Valley aint sh

Oct 25, 2018, 10:01 AM

it.

I always pegged you as more of a Straight Out of Sharon type***

Oct 25, 2018, 10:45 AM

My truck was an S-10, not a full sized Chevy with Mickey

Oct 25, 2018, 11:12 AM

Thompsons and a glass pack

Why did you only take your two favorites?

Oct 25, 2018, 10:46 AM [ in reply to SIX FREAKING DOLLARS A TICKET INCLUDING KIDS ]

What did the other 98 do?

Then maybe it's the "pussification" of the younger adults...

Oct 25, 2018, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Well, look, we're calling it "pussification" in direct ]

I remember playing games in horrendous conditions in HS and the crowd was still there. Maybe not quite as big as usual, but still pretty big. Band still played, etc...

No game was ever moved or cancelled for rain or snow.

As a player, playing in the rain and snow were the most fun.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never played in the snow. Plenty of 50-degree rain storms

Oct 25, 2018, 10:21 AM

though. ONLY football games cancelled in HS was due to Hugo. And that had everything to do with driving to Charlotte in 100mph winds and rain, and nothing to do with the field, or the crowd that might show or not.

I don't remember any rainy games and certainly not snowy

Oct 25, 2018, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Then maybe it's the "pussification" of the younger adults... ]

games because SC, but JFC, I remember the HEAT. Two-A-Days in the summer in South Carolina sucks bawls.

We had 4 a days during camp.

Oct 25, 2018, 10:42 AM

up at 5 am, practice.

Come in at 7. Eat breakfast go to sleep.

Up at 11, practice till 12. Eat lunch, go to sleep.

Up at 3, weights, light practice till 4. Eat a snack, go to sleep.

Up at 6, eat supper, go practice till 9. Come back eat a snack, go to bed.

####### sucked.

If you did that these days you would have 3 kids left.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I can see Greenr playing a solid role

Oct 25, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to I don't remember any rainy games and certainly not snowy ]

as the third string safety, or on special teams

He's a kicker.

Oct 25, 2018, 10:43 AM

definitely a kicker

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, Just LOL.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:10 AM [ in reply to I can see Greenr playing a solid role ]

Defensive End & Tight End as well as longsnapper. Played Varsity in Sophomore year as well*
I was second string behind a guy who was 4 inches taller, faster, and played college football at Wingate. He was my backup in Centerfield in baseball though, at least for a while, until he learned to smash it out of the park.

*Didn't play Junior year, thought I hated it, ended up regretting that decision.

They cancel or change practice times now due to heat***

Oct 25, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to I don't remember any rainy games and certainly not snowy ]

As a player, it was fun to play in the rain. As

Oct 25, 2018, 11:16 AM [ in reply to So this is just more pussification then? ]

a spectator, not so much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its the remnants of the hurricane that hit Mexico this week.

Oct 25, 2018, 8:39 AM

But yes, just a cold rain.

We must protect our snowflake children!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

50 degrees and showers

Oct 25, 2018, 8:44 AM

here is Friday night forecast for Clemson area:

6:00 pm
Showers Showers
50 °F

7:00 pm
Showers Showers
49 °F

8:00 pm
Few Showers Few Showers
49 °F

9:00 pm
Cloudy Cloudy
50 °F

10:00 pm
Cloudy Cloudy
50 °F

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/sc/clemson/29634/date/2018-10-26

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which generation do we blame for the snowflaking?***

Oct 25, 2018, 8:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Brynes and Boiling Springs moved their game to tonight

Oct 25, 2018, 9:15 AM

as well.

What are the Maine Black Bears going to do?***

Oct 25, 2018, 9:31 AM

I know nothing of football, but if I was playing a facebook

Oct 25, 2018, 9:15 AM

game, there would be several variables I would have to look at.

1. What TRDJ said: current and future field conditions. At this point most fields are tore up from a season's worth of varsity, JV, middle school, and rec games being played on it. That makes the slightest bit of rain puddle on the field instead of running off. This can pose hazardous field conditions to players. You don't want your star running back slipping in the mud and rolling an ankle this close to playoffs. Also, with LAX or soccer, if the field gets too chewed up, it may still be chewed up for those games. Nobody wants those soccer moms mad.

2. If it's a home game, the gate. Nobody is going to show up to a 50 degree down pour. You have a better chance of at least breaking even on a dry, cold Thursday night than a wet cold Friday night.

3. Football isn't the football of yore. Not in this day and age with mandatory trainers, and all of the concussion stuff. A kid can't just break a wrist, get it taped, and get sent back in. If so, you're asking for a lawsuit. Also, going back to #1, if a kid gets hurt in sloppy conditions, the first thing the lawyer is going to ask is "could this have been prevented?" If the answer is "well we could have played on Thursday like everybody else but I shot that down," Guess who's getting a settlement?

4. AD's go off of what all other AD's do. They call each other and see what each other is doing in certain situations. Once the first couple of games moved, go ahead and expect almost all to move. The old saying goes "They can't fire all of us"

Once again, I know nothing of football, just applying it to if I was playing a facebook game in the rain.

Edit to expand on #2: If it is the away team, it's not your call to start with. You have to do what the home team says.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

LOL look at this pansy

Oct 25, 2018, 9:20 AM

can't even play facebook in a little rain.

Re: I know nothing of football, but if I was playing a facebook

Oct 25, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I know nothing of football, but if I was playing a facebook ]

one thing I got from this post.....Fbcooch made an intelligent and well thought out post and he might just get a trophy post today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

30 years ago none of this was a problem

Oct 25, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to I know nothing of football, but if I was playing a facebook ]

In fact, the total universe of "problems" was far smaller 30 years ago....across the board.

30 years ago we weren't in the age of suing

Oct 25, 2018, 10:20 AM

because somebody put out sand before a game that scratched a kid's arm.

Yes that happened.

At a facebook game.

There's a reason I've been pulled three times for jury duty

Oct 25, 2018, 10:24 AM

For a week each time. And I NEVER made even the FIRST cut to get placed on a jury.

I'm also never contacted by pollsters, fwiw. Never been a peer on a jury, and never been asked to participate in a poll.

Go figure.

^^^^dude knows his facebook

Oct 25, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to I know nothing of football, but if I was playing a facebook ]

i am so proud of you coach, that was quite an impressive post.

go get you a Bell's 2 Hearted and send me the bill.

Gas bill would break you***

Oct 25, 2018, 9:36 AM

Against my better judgement, I gave you the 5th TU and you

Oct 25, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to I know nothing of football, but if I was playing a facebook ]

got a trophy. This leads to more pussification of america, when cucks like FBCoachSC® are getting trophies for not playing Facebook in the rain.

luh u bby***

Oct 25, 2018, 9:42 AM

Re: I know nothing of football, but if I was playing a facebook

Oct 25, 2018, 10:27 AM [ in reply to I know nothing of football, but if I was playing a facebook ]

I will say, coaching a non-revenue sport that plays

Oct 25, 2018, 10:19 AM

outdoors, the only time our games are cancelled is lightning or a monsoon. It's a spring sport, so mostly my AD would say, it will grow out over the summer. We have played in some crazy conditions (wind chill at 33 degrees, almost a monsoon in 40 degree weather, etc.) but the district I used to coach at, passed rules about limits on activities below 45 degrees and the new wet bulb thing for it too hot.

FBCoachSC® should know more than I on that, Facebooking is mainly in the hotter months

Sheeet, Facebook games will soon be moved indoors

Oct 25, 2018, 10:21 AM

with flags and bubble wrap

edit to add: non revenue and especially mauldawng's sport, AD's don't care if people show. What they won't do is let that piece of sheet season be extended.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

Most dangerous thing I ever saw during spring soccer

Oct 25, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to I will say, coaching a non-revenue sport that plays ]

was when the freaking field sprinklers came on in the middle of a game. Several kids were "taken out" by the massive sprinkler heads that shoot like a fire hose.

You can file a lawsuit with or without justification.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:08 AM

All you need is someone with deep pockets and a Aventti's phone number.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 612
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic