Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
YouTube TV has been great for watching games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

YouTube TV has been great for watching games

Nov 14, 2018, 3:06 AM

We are in the 2inston Salem area and our Spectrum bill had become outrageous.

I tested YouTube TV during last year's March Madness and never had any lag.

We cut the cord right before football season and for 40 bucks a month, we get the local channels and around 56 other channels. We have not missed a moment or had any difficulties all season. We have Roku hooked up to the 4 tvs in the house and there has been no lag.

There are a lot of things I hate about Google UT there TV service has saved us about 90 bucks a month. I also have talked to people who have Sling and it is good too but you don't get the local channels.

I did a trial of the Playstation Vue and it was good but expensive and had a lot of tiers like cable.

I think which is best depends on your situation and weather you can live with a local antenna if you go with Swing.

The big plus for YouTube TV is it carries ESPN, ESPN, ESPN U, Fox sports, Fox Sports Carolinas, Sec et work, etc.

Just throwing out my experience after 3 months and o problems.

Anyone else have experience cutting the cord and using non cable options?

Dean

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YouTube TV has been great for watching games

Nov 14, 2018, 3:39 AM

That’s great Bro, I live in Clemmons and I have two Firesticks and one Jetstream google box. I have a total of $85 for 2 firesticks and $69 for the latest Jetstream google box at Walmart for $69.

I haven’t paid another dime for Tv by doing research on what to download. I haven’t missed a football game I wanted to watch for any team. I have thousands of channels around the world, movies & TV shows as easy as searching what I want to watch and 10 -20 Options pop up. I have all the local channels too.

Do a little research and you will have free tv better than ever before unless you just want to pay something. The new Jetstream Box has 1080 and 4K viewing. It’s the latest and the bomb Free completely if you have great internet at home.

I also have even better options for tv on my IPad Pro and all of our phones.

If you get Kodi—-Free .....free local tv apps, Movie apps. Search your you tube on how to program your box (Jetstream) or simple Firestick. There are new videos on YouTube daily on how to do it. Simply follow step by step instructions.

It’s online and free to everyone paying for online access.

Really cut the cord and you’ll wake up with a smile everyday because you never realized it could be so easy FREE.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Nov 14, 2018, 3:48 AM

I have used all those apps and Kodi, Terrarium, etc. I always had problems with lag and channels not always working.

If it were just me, I might go that route by my wife and kids it is jus easier to have the YouTube TV as he 40 bucks is worth what seems just like old type TV and I don't ha e to run a vpn app o my android tv or fire TV.

Ihis is why I did post that different solutions for different people. More power to you!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2018, 10:28 AM

With a boosted home internet you won’t have lag at all. I had some at 1st on my firesticks but the Jetstream $69 at Walmart is clearer than any tv I’ve ever had without even a second of lag since it cam out September. It on a different level by far as compared to firesticks.

One Firestick is my daughters and the other is in our guest room.

I’m glad you tried that but please try the Jetstream, you will be so impressed.

Thanks for letting me know bro.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Nov 14, 2018, 3:58 AM [ in reply to Re: YouTube TV has been great for watching games ]

Another thing you can do with YouTube TV is put in a different zip code as your home and watch that zip codes local channels,

Curious about the ZIP code thing

Nov 14, 2018, 9:23 AM

Are you saying you can go to your account and change the zip code and watch the local stations/programming for that zip code anytime without consequence?

Curious if continually changing the zip has raises a red flag or not. Would like to watch Houston Texans game but it's almost never gonna be on my local YouTubeTV programming.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know you can select your local area, but I don't know if

Nov 14, 2018, 9:58 AM

there would be any repercussions for doing it weekly.

I just went into my account, and it says I can change my local area

Nov 14, 2018, 10:24 AM

one more time this year, and I think I may have changed it twice already.

I looked at my account, it says the following:

Nov 14, 2018, 10:40 AM

"You can change your home area twice per year. Local taxes may apply"

I assume they are talking about a Jan-Dec calendar year...

BTW, I'm currently running my internet through a VPN stream which is in a different part of the state and YTTV account page says:

"Please sign in from your home area or update it by Feb 11. Otherwise, your access to YouTube TV will be limited."

YTTV thinks I'm on the road travelling and watching in the Miami area although I'm in Orlando. It's giving me Orlando programming but thinks I'm in Miami.

Re: Curious about the ZIP code thing

Nov 14, 2018, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Curious about the ZIP code thing ]

I have traveled to Florida and the Coast (Myrtle since I had Youtube TV. The app (at least on Roku devices) has a detect your zip code. I personally leave it to the same zip code and there has not been any problems.

I think the poster is correct that if you go to New York, you can get then get the local channels there but they don't allow you to do this more than once or twice a year. It is not like it detects you are in a different location and then limits you.

Dean

My experience is that no matter where I go I continue...

Nov 14, 2018, 5:34 PM

....to get my local channels. For example, when I go to Atlanta I still get Orlando channel. It would appear they give you so much time before they require you to login from your home zip code.

What I was talking about was changing my zip code to get the Houston Texans gave (not shown in my market) but it now looks like you can only do this twice per year. That is, log into your YTTV account and change the zip code for the area you want their local programming like local sports teams. To me, it seems like I'd only be able to watch them twice per year assuming they aren't shown in my local area.

I have been enjoying YouTube Live also. I still have DirecTV

Nov 14, 2018, 3:53 AM

only because I'm only paying $31 per month for it right now. YouTube does run about 2 or 3 seconds behind DTV, but that isn't a problem. I will often put one game on my TV, on DTV, and then have YouTubeTV running on my laptop.

Their interface allows me to group the sports channels together, and I can scroll through them, from game to game, and can even see a small view of each game without clicking on it's channel. I can see the score, and avoid clicking on a game that is on commercial break. Or, you can log in on 2 or 3 tabs, and just click back and forth from game to game, with no lag like there is with DTV,

After my $31 per month deal with DTV runs out in April, I will probably drop DTV and just go with the YouTube TV,

Re: I have been enjoying YouTube Live also. I still have DirecTV

Nov 14, 2018, 10:58 AM

Are you running it off wireless? Fortunately my house was built with CAT 5e ports in each room. All the Rokus are hardwired to a Gig-E network and have a 1000mbps internet with a low latency. My son sometimes uses the Roku Stick and hooks up his computer monitor since it has speakers built in. The games are lagged around 3 to 5 seconds but it really isn't an issue.

who provides your fiber optics? how much

Nov 14, 2018, 1:31 PM

does it cost for 1gig?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Same here.***

Nov 14, 2018, 4:29 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'd really think the cost of cable/satellite would start

Nov 14, 2018, 4:58 AM

falling by now. Nope.. There has to be something in the works behind the scenes that's keeping that from happening right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have tried Sling, Vue, and Youtube TV

Nov 14, 2018, 6:21 AM

I had no lag or problems with any of them.

Sling was fine but as you said, no local channels. I have an antenna but when folks visited they were always confused about how to watch TV. Lol

I hated Vue's menu. It was the worst. AND...they kept raising the prices and not adding any value.

YouTube TV has local channels, is less expensive than Vue, and in my opinion has the best menu. Really easy to use. It is missing a few channels I would like to have like food network, but it is the best value for me.

Re: I have tried Sling, Vue, and Youtube TV

Nov 14, 2018, 10:52 AM

Is there not a food network strreaming channel. That is the one channel she wanted that Youtube TV does not have.

We also have a family member with Dish and we have been using je3 login for years for the WatchEspn and many of these channels that have streaming.

Nov 14, 2018, 6:32 AM

Youtube TV is the best!

No blackouts either...

Nov 14, 2018, 6:45 AM

How much is your internet and what is the speed?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2018, 6:49 AM

I've had Sling but hate it for watching live games. It's glitchy and laggy and some of the games aren't even broadcast at an acceptable FPS rate, it's like trying to watch Max Headroom for 4 hours. I might try YouTube TV based on this. I have had little to no luck with other "a la carte channel" subscription services.

Who is providing your Internet service?

Nov 14, 2018, 6:50 AM

I'm looking to do the same thing after football season. Spectrum keeps raising my rates every May and I'm sick of paying for all this stuff that I never watch (I have to get one of their expensive packages to get all the sports channels). In my case I will still need to maintain the Spectrum Internet service (assume it will be around $60 a month - highway robbery...) to ensure a reliable high speed connection. Are you still using Spectrum for Internet - if so how much does it cost you?

I have the new Roku Ultra boxes on my TV's and love the ease of use/interface. I was originally looking at a combination of YouTube TV and Philo (around $60 a month for both services) to give me all the channels that we currently watch. But that would require running two different apps on my Roku (not a problem for me but the wife....). I've since looked at Playstation Vue and for $60 I could get almost the same channels as the YouTube TV+Philo combo (minus a couple of channels we currently watch) with the advantage of all the channels being on one app. Both YouTube TV and Playstation Vue seem to have comparable DVR capabilities so was wondering if anyone has tried both services and if there is any real performance differences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is providing your Internet service?

Nov 14, 2018, 9:25 AM

I have Charter Spectrum for an ISP and decided to try their internet-TV package this year. They advertise it as being $21/month, but it really comes out to $25.

I've been happy so far, the number of channels isn't exactly a ton....you get all your locals and then you can hand-pick 10 channels from a list of about 50. I was able to snag ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, NFL, and CBS Sports. The app will run on Roku or a Samsung Smart TV.

The only issue I've had has been the the app used to crash every time I opened it. But after calling charter like 5 times, they refunded my bill for 2 straight months and reset the app and it has been working fine.

I think this has been the cheapest streaming option I've found without using a firestick and Terrarium/Kodi, etc. The number of channels is far fewer than Youtube or Sling offers, but it's also been half the price.

I will likely cancel as soon as football season is over, but it has been a nice fill-in.

Nov 14, 2018, 7:02 AM

Thank you dean! My wife and I want to cut the cord, the only reason we haven’t is live sports mainly Clemson.
Gonna try it out...do you get credit for referrals?

I have tried Hulu, DTVNow, Sling, and currently PS Vue.

Nov 14, 2018, 7:33 AM

Ended with PS Vue prior to football season, and like it's channels and interface better than the others we have tried. Have the package that is costing about $54 a month. I am not super happy with the DVR capabilities, and think I will give the YoutubeTV/Philo combo come first of the year (need both to get the channels we watch). The reading I have done seems to indicate that the DVR capabilities are better with Youtube. With no contract is does not hurt to give everything a try!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you explain what you don’t like about PS Vue’s DVR?

Nov 14, 2018, 9:24 AM

I’ve never used it but I’m interested in all options.

null

All college football has the same name on PS Vue, so when

Nov 14, 2018, 9:59 AM

you record one you record all. The word record is a bit of a misnomer, since I guess it's just allocated to my account to be able to look at later. Given the record all fact, you have to find the game you want. The search seems a bit wiggy, but after a couple of days you can find it. What seems to be easier to do in the short term is to scroll backwards through the guide and find the game if it's less than 3 days old or so, and watch it that way. You do have the same problem with all DVRs in that if ESPN changes channels on your game at the end if it runs long, you lose the part on the new channel. You can also not extent the record time like you can with DirecTV on a dish, so you have to grab the next show as well, and then find it if you can! I guess I got used to the DirecTV DVR where I had a discrete game in a listing to go select to watch. I also think that the stuff only stays on the DVR for 28 days, but I have not been trying to keep stuff yet. This is my first football season after cutting the cord so still learning. Thanks goodness for youtube!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was looking at cutting the cord a few months back and

Nov 14, 2018, 7:31 AM

after reading through the forums for YouTube TV and DirecTV Now (their streaming service) i was turned off by the number of posts about lags and other issues. I still called DirecTV and told them I was looking to change due to the cost and the rep immediately offered to set my bill at $60 per month for 6 months and threw in HBO at no charge. He said call back in 6 months and they would reset me at $60 again. Before the discount my bill had crept up to $128 per month.

I still may cut the cord one day as I like the idea of streaming and having access to your TV anywhere you travel, at least in the US. I’m riding the $60 a month DirecTV train for now while the streaming services just keep getting better.

Thanks for taking time to post your experience with YouTube TV. Good to know it’s working great for you.

I tried the frre week of YouTube TV but

Nov 14, 2018, 7:32 AM

could never get the channels to play on my TV. played fine on my computer. I use ROKU stick and the app is loaded. Just could never fine the channel line up even when i opened the app.

I tried DTV NOw and it was ok. Now using SLING but really hate they split their channel lineup like they do.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: I tried the frre week of YouTube TV but

Nov 14, 2018, 8:05 AM

Long time Sling TV user, but was constantly frustrated with buffering, pixelation, app crashes, and more while watching football. Tried DirecTV Now, PSVue, HuluTV, and YoutubeTV. YoutubeTV is the best streaming service for cable like live sports broadcasts by far. And I love the DVR-ish record feature.

Nov 14, 2018, 8:19 AM

Not available in the Aiken-Augusta area yet. Anyone know when it might be coming?

Nov 14, 2018, 8:58 AM

Does YouTube TV include Fox News?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Nov 14, 2018, 9:16 AM

I love mine as well, except for the lag

Nov 14, 2018, 9:26 AM

and the lag would not be terrible except I get texts about a good or bad play before it happens on the TV. Same thing with score alerts on my phone, they often are quicker than the stream as well. Other than that, I have had no issues with it.

LOL, I disabled my alerts on my phone one time as a result

Nov 14, 2018, 9:42 AM

The lag is probably about 3 seconds on YTTV like a lot of folks have stated. It's really not an issue unless you are connected to the live world somehow like muting the volume then listening to the game via Clemson radio network which I don't have in my local area unless I stream it and maybe it'll have a matching lag...don't know.

If you have a sports app like ESPN or "the Score" and you have Clemson listed as a fav then you'll get score alerts such as FG or TD, etc about 2 to 3 seconds before you see it....

Messing with the g/f by telling her Clemson would score on this play before it happened because I could hear the "ding" alert on my android phone.

With YouTube TV did you find that If you DVR a show it

Nov 14, 2018, 9:27 AM

makes you watch the “OnDemand” version if it is still available, complete with commercials you can’t fast forward through? My wife and I found that to be the case and it was excruciating to us. So we left and grabbed a cheap Spectrum deal, which of course has been the worst customer experience ever.

null

Yes, this is true...

Nov 14, 2018, 9:48 AM

...the vast majority of programs we save on the built-in free DVR capability of YTTV allows you to fast forward through commercials. But like you said, if there's a "go back" or on demand version available it'll force you to watch the commercials. This means that if you record a program then you will be able to fast forward through the commercial but for some programs when 24 hours after the show aired your recorded version will be replace seamlessly with the on demand version that has commercials. You'll be able for fast forward though the show portion but if the commercial starts to play you'll have to watch it.

Maybe the trick is to watch the show before 24 hours passes when they replace it with the on demand version.

I am able to FF through commercials

Nov 14, 2018, 9:53 AM [ in reply to With YouTube TV did you find that If you DVR a show it ]

Just checked several random games, going back to the A&M game.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

That's because there isn't an on demand version of the game

Nov 14, 2018, 9:58 AM

When you think about "go back" or "on demand" think of shows that air on ABC, CBC, NBC weekly. I don't think they do on demand for shows that are not series. For example, two shows we watch are The Good Doctor and Magnum, PI. Good Doctor you can fast forward through commercials, Magnum PI you are forced to watch them when the on demand version becomes available 24 hours after original airing. There isn't a guarantee that you'll get the commercial version of the recording or not.

I thought you were referring to games

Nov 14, 2018, 10:16 AM

I don't watch many episodes of broadcast tv series. Just checked the one series I record (Manifest) and was able to FF using the arrow button.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I'm with you....hardly record series from ABC, CBS, NBC

Nov 14, 2018, 10:33 AM

I haven' paid attention, maybe it's only CBS for example...not sure. The vast majority of series we record are AMC and FX which you can fast forward though anytime. We watch a bunch of Netflix instead regular TV.

Nov 14, 2018, 9:30 AM

Streaming services are great as long as you have good internet. This can be a problem for people like me who live in a rural area. Satellite services don't work because I need VPN connection for work. I found https://4gantennashop.com/

For $80 a month with monthly no long term contract I get 4g internet service. Although the service is all through the antenna shop they allow you to select the provider with the best cell service in your area. You can also buy an external antenna to boost your signal. The cool thing is, once configured, all you do is plug the modem into power and it automatically connects from anywhere as long as you have cell service. I just bring it with me to the tailgate and plug it in and boom I have wifi. I also come to games in my RV so I always have internet wherever I go in the RV for netflix or other steaming.

is that unlimited streaming? for $80***

Nov 14, 2018, 10:49 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

If you are a non-profit or member of one then...

Nov 14, 2018, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: YouTube TV has been great for watching games ]

My neighbor across the street has unlimited 4G ISP for $25 per month. Working off of Sprint's 4G tower which is close by. He has DirectTVNow plus one of these services and he qualified for it because he's a member of a church which is non-profit. I get the impression he's getting 15MB/sec which isn't blazing but he says it's good enough to watch DirectTVNow on two TVs at the same time.

http://pbdd.org/low-cost-access-options/

I have YouTube TV, Spectrum internet, and Roku Ultra

Nov 14, 2018, 9:37 AM

I have had absolutely no problems. It has all of the sports and news channels, local channels, and others. I suggest the free trial.

--Henry David Thoreau

I get your point, but you didn't cut anything

Nov 14, 2018, 10:38 AM

you went from 2 chords to being 100% dependant on on 1.

fyi..there is legislation in process that would give charter the ability to limit your content.

I tried YoutubeTV, Hulu Live TV, and Sling

Nov 14, 2018, 10:44 AM

Ended up going with YouTubeTV and it wasn't close. Hulu had pretty aesthetics but the usability of the user interface was terrible (channels arranged alphabetically is a terrible idea). Sling was OK but I hated that they didn't have local channels. YouTubeTV is pretty simple to use and operate and works pretty consistently but I do still have issues.

Playing back from recordings is terribly inconsistent for me. Half the I try to resume watching a recording, it starts over from the beginning. Other times when I try to skip forward or back, it hangs (loading spinner of death). Very frustrating when it happens compared to cable which worked reliably nearly 100% of the time. Still, I hate the cable model so I'm willing to put up with some shenanigans. I did some Googling and found out the smart Samsung TV app is garbage. They need to update/fix it. I have less issues running the app through my Xbox.

Only thing is the wife is not happy that there is no HGTV. If they added HGTV and fixed the recording issues I'd be overjoyed. I do think the user interface could be a little more intuitive. I remember being initially a bit annoyed just trying to figure out how to record a show, but all in all it seems light years above the competitors and it still beats cable.

YTTV weirdness....

Nov 14, 2018, 10:59 AM

I get the impression that YTTV is still working things out. Since January I've noted fixes or improvements in a number of area.

On occasion, I've noted some issues with the Samsung YTTV app. Not often and not often enough for me to want to go buy another ROKU Streaming Stick+ like I have in the bedroom since that Samsung TV is about one year too old to have the Samsung YTTV app built in.

I'm wondering if your Samsung app is in anyway affected by the internet connection. Maybe it brain farts if it has a WiFi connection problem or router issue? Also, make sure you check to see if you have the latest firmware update on your TV.

I'm saving about $70 per month by getting rid of Spectrum TV. The worst part of cable is the constant incremental increases in costs every few months. BTW, since you have to have an ISP I stayed with Spectrum as it's the only true high speed option we have here. But, I went with Spectrum Business to save money versus Spectrum for household consumers. If any of you have a small business license then see if you can't bet Spectrum Business introductory price for one year then switch back to the consumer business one year later to get their introductory price as a "new" customer.

Yes, the record show feature is odd...you have to select "SHOW MORE DETAILS" then click the + plus sign. Some people would prefer it say REC or RECORD not just a + sign.

I do have it on Wifi. But my Xbox is on Wifi too

Nov 14, 2018, 12:31 PM

Would love to try a wired connection and see if that fixes my issue, but then I gotta punch through the wall...I'm considering it..

Nov 14, 2018, 11:04 AM

Enjoy it while it lasts. Cable companies do not care you are cutting the chord all your wireless streaming flows through their network. With the repeal of net neutrality you will be paying on a streaming basis, which if you are streaming a ton of games will up your bill.

The key will be 5G which should start to come online in 2019

Nov 14, 2018, 11:17 AM

The cell phone operators will be able to provide an alternative to cable when 5G rolls out in full force. Estimated that median 5G bandwidth could be 400Mb to 1.5Gb. In any case, assuming those speeds pan out to be 100GB to 400GB it'll be a viable option.

Also, as much as most of us hate the Google death star let's hope they can quickly expand their fiber network into more areas. At 1Gb and $80/month including all taxes Google fiber seems reasonable.

Re: The key will be 5G which should start to come online in 2019

Nov 14, 2018, 11:32 AM

The cell phone companies use cable lines to offer 5G services so they are paying to use these lines. More people switching to cell phone service= increase fees for cell phone services to use cable lines= increase in phone bill now to offset Increased fees to use cable lines

plus ..common sense. . cable bills are minute

Nov 14, 2018, 11:37 AM

to cell phone bills.

cable+Internet bill $120
cheapo tmobile bill $120 for 4 people...bout to add a 5th.

Nov 14, 2018, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: The key will be 5G which should start to come online in 2019 ]

The cell phone companies use cable lines to offer 5G services so they are paying to use these lines. More people switching to cell phone service= increase fees for cell phone services to use cable lines= increase in phone bill now to offset Increased fees to use cable lines

That's not exactly how it works... Check out who runs the Tier 1 Internet Backbone - it ain't Comcast, Time Warner, or Spectrum. AT&T, Verizon, and Century Link have more miles of fiber optic lines than anyone. The cable companies have been living high off the hog for many years because they were the first to invest in the wired infrastructure to individual homes. The world has changed and the 5G folks are gonna go right past the cable companies and use radio their services to where it links to their own fiber networks. It will take some time but the day of using those cable copper wires is coming to an end...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CenturyLink...

Nov 14, 2018, 12:00 PM

CenturyLink has completely given up on consumer telephone and ISP services. Like you said, they are focused on fiber services for industry and not the homeowner. Their copper lines continue to rot and next to nothing is being upgraded for residential services. It's time for the gubermint to abandon the protections they have provided for "telephone" services. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should only have the choice on one "telephone" company in their community especially given these companies refuse to upgrade their residential infrastructure.

In my community: CenturyLink (DSL over copper) or Spectrum (coaxial cable) and this is typical for 99% of people in the USA...one "telephone" company and one "cable" company.

i have ac ess to spectrum, att dsl, or att fiber

Nov 14, 2018, 12:41 PM

spectrum is by far the best $/MB.

too many limitations on att fiber which is stupid cause it costs more.

Nov 14, 2018, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: The key will be 5G which should start to come online in 2019 ]

Well, that is half correct. Verizon backhauls a ton of there data along cable therefore paying cable companies to use that. So once again the 5g cost will reflect that.

Nov 14, 2018, 11:36 AM [ in reply to The key will be 5G which should start to come online in 2019 ]

I get 1gbps from Spectrum now for 85 bucks a month.

I have not looked into ot for a while but last I heard was Google Fiber was dead because ATT kept filing NSFW lawsuits against them.

I also agree that the repeal of net neutrality sucks because it is basically getting rid of free enterprise and giving the huge monopolies even more power.

All I can say is that right now Youtube TV is saving me a nice chunk of money every month.

As for TV shows, I use Plex and watch shows without commercials. If it was up to me alone, I would o ly pay for Youtube TV for the months when there is football and baseball.

Also keep in mind that regular Youtube has replay of all games so you can watch without commercials if you have Yoitube red.

I didn't keep up with Google Fiber either...was hopefull

Nov 14, 2018, 12:05 PM

https://hbr.org/2018/09/why-google-fiber-is-high-speed-internets-most-successful-failure

Re: I didn't keep up with Google Fiber either...was hopefull

Nov 14, 2018, 5:02 PM

Yes it did force Spectrum in my area to hurry up and build a fiber network in this area as google fiber was scheduled to come through my area. I am hoping the 5G does allow more competition but wired internet is always better.

I personally think Google is a horrible company and they got rid of the "Do no evil" mantra which is scary.

However, it just so happens that having a fast internet backbone is in both Google and the general public interest.

Dean

The cable companies are becoming irrelevant and as 5G

Nov 14, 2018, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: YouTube TV has been great for watching games ]

starts proliferating throughout the USA over the next 5 years, cable will lose a significant portion of it's choke hold on end user high speed Internet.

Verizon started rolling out 5G in Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, and Sacramento last month so 5G is here and will only grow as more TELECOMs build the 5G networks (AT&T is going full bore for 5G as well). It will take some time but 5G is the Internet challenger to cable we have all been waiting for. Because 5G is wireless, it will eventually creep into service areas where Cable companies currently have a monopoly forcing a more competitive market place. There is a reason Spectrum Cable is getting into the mobile phone game - they know the cable gig is going South and they had better start finding new services to offer before they become extinct.

If the cable industry is going to struggle...

Nov 14, 2018, 11:49 AM

...just think about the incompetent phone companies.

When I speak of "cable" I'm literally taking about coaxial cable that runs into quite a few communities and especially the older ones. I think cable is doing a great job utilizing a relatively old physical media to provide 100Mb+ bandwidth. The problem is they are charging too much as they incrementally increase fees.

When I speak of "phone" I'm literally talking about twisted pair copper phone lines. While the phone companies have done a great job of being able to provide 15Mb ISP service on 50+ year old copper wire it's a deadend. Many phone companies aren't even interested in replacing the copper with fiber and 15Mb isn't gonna cut it for much longer.

let's do the maf.

Nov 14, 2018, 12:55 PM

I pay $50 for 100 MB through spectrum..unlimited streaming, unlimited devises pulling fromy router.
I ran cat 5 to every room in my house so I dont have to rely on wifi max of 6mb/s..which gets cut by every wifi device
I can get legit 1 gig through lan to the tv playstations, computers .

verizon charges at least $40 per month , per device...for 4G..I assume that is unlimited, no throttling streaming

what do you think they will charge for 5G?

Re: let's do the maf.

Nov 15, 2018, 1:16 AM

The $50 for 100mbps is how it used to be in my are but that was the fastest speed. They updated it where you could get 300mbps for around $105 a month. The current tiers are 100/300/1000mbps. The 300 and 1000 are only like $10 different a month. However, they want to charge you a $200 dollar a month to hook up the 1000mbps. I just called Spectrum Support and told them I would pay for the 1000mbps as long as they didn't charge for installation. I had to get the reps supervisor on the phone and they did the install for free.

We really have no competition in this area as Windstream (formerly Alltel) provides DSL speeds under 10bps and since they are considered a rural internet provider, Uncle Same actually gives them bailout money each year. They never improve and the speeds go to about half if it rains. I actually feel fortunate now to have a quality internet connection,

Once er have e empty nest, my wife and I are wanting to downsize and get a smaller house. The thing is that you actually have to take into consideration who provides internet and what speeds before buying a house these days. I guess it is better than when there was only Bell South as VoIP and mobile phones killed them.

Dean

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic