Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For you UDP's who won't buy a new car battery
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 346

For you UDP's who won't buy a new car battery

May 26, 2020, 1:42 PM

or just anyone who needs one of these for emergencies...

I never used to think these things would work..but I've seen them in action and they are pretty cool. That, and they are 30% off this week. I bought a 66 just to throw in my truck. Beats dealing with jumper cables if I ever need them; it actually takes up less space.

https://myweego.com/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but it also dies in 2 or 3 yrs

May 26, 2020, 1:45 PM

whereas jumper cables never die.

Do they stubborn_tiger?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe? I dunno.

May 26, 2020, 1:53 PM

I haven't seen one that old yet.

Jumper cables never die. These are facts.***

May 26, 2020, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Yeah, but it also dies in 2 or 3 yrs ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just want to know when batteries started dying like all at

May 26, 2020, 1:46 PM

once. I remember growing up, you'd start noticing the slow cranks and you knew the battery was starting to go. You could go several months before it finally got too bad to crank the car.

Nowadays, you crank the car fine and drive somewhere. Come back and try and crank it and you get zilch. Nada. Dead as a dornail. And it's not the alternator. Just odd. I listen for the slightest hesitation when cranking now and go grab a new battery asap, as it's always bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Today’s cars have a few more electronics in them than

May 26, 2020, 1:49 PM

The 89 Chevy Beretta you grew up with, and many of them are still drawing power when the car is “off”.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was riding around the hood the other day

May 26, 2020, 1:51 PM

and actually saw a Beretta that still was running.

I NEVER ride around the hood without a Beretta.

May 26, 2020, 1:59 PM

Or Glock, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger....

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those were pretty dang sweet when they first came out.

May 26, 2020, 2:32 PM [ in reply to I was riding around the hood the other day ]

Obviously, it's all relative, and being better than most other cars in 1987 wasn't a masterful feat, but still.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

87 Toyota 4Runner. Same one with the removable top like

May 26, 2020, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Today’s cars have a few more electronics in them than ]

in the Sylvester Stalone arm wrestling movie.

Here she is, well, her twin.

Parents traded it in with a brand new quarter bag left in the hidden back compartment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was my wife’s first car too. FIL was a marketing VP

May 26, 2020, 2:02 PM

(Former engineer) at Toyota in the early 80’s and played a big part in that truck coming to market. Point stands though....massive difference in battery draw on that one vs almost anything new.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True statement.

May 26, 2020, 1:49 PM [ in reply to I just want to know when batteries started dying like all at ]

Used to you'd get 2-3 warning cranks. Now? It either works...or it doesn't. I think its got something to do with the recycled lead, or smaller lead plates or something similar thats meant to save the environment.

Well, I've worked on enough lead exposure insurance claims

May 26, 2020, 1:55 PM

to know they're definitely doing things differently now with lead in batteries.

Member when you used to have to add water to them every

May 26, 2020, 4:44 PM [ in reply to I just want to know when batteries started dying like all at ]

now and then, get a little sulfuric acid splashing around?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Replies: 13
| visibility 346
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic