Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Film Study on Clemson defensive front - from Ohio State site
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 3,650

Film Study on Clemson defensive front - from Ohio State site

Dec 19, 2016, 3:29 PM

Seems like pretty good analysis. Anything to add from a Clemson perspective?

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2016-fiesta-bowl/2016/12/78208/film-study-clemsons-ferocious-defensive-front-may-be-the-best-ohio-state-has-seen-in-years#comments

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Film Study on Clemson defensive front - from Ohio State site

Dec 19, 2016, 3:41 PM

this very well may be the most talented front that Clemson has assembled, but I do not think they have the experience and depth of last year's unit which saw ridiculous production off the edge with similar production inside. If we play again next year, than I think that title of the article will be more accurate.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2016, 4:00 PM

Kinda hard to tell. A lot of times these guys look like the best, most-talented DL Clemson's ever assembled...which is saying quite a lot, considering guys like William Perry and Chester McGlockton have worn orange.

Other times they switch off and don't dominate like you'd expect. It really could be the age; this bunch, except for Carlos Watkins, is collectively very young - true sophomores and younger at 3 of the 4 spots and younger than that at the backup spots. They pretty much move everybody they play backwards the first quarter and you see opponents literally start wondering if they're going to make it off the field alive, and they tend to switch off in the second and third quarters before waking back up in the fourth. Baffling, but they've done it all year. Basically JT Barrett and the OSU O need to just batten the hatches and try to survive the first fifteen minutes...and hope the game isn't over by then, because Clemson's O, when it's hot, can score four touchdowns in the first quarter on you. Again, we've done that a bunch too.

Clemson, at some point in this game, is going to be up on you, and by double digits. I say this with confidence because Clemson has been up on everybody we have played the last two years headed into the fourth quarter...and that includes Alabama in the national title game last year. What Clemson hasn't done quite so well is finish people off...and it did bite us against Bama, and earlier this year against Pitt. But can OSU stop the Tigers from putting their foot down on their throat?

Dec 19, 2016, 4:24 PM

Good scouting report. Don't forget about #91...........on second thought, go ahead and forget about #91, he'll remind you later, it's part of his public service mission. ??????

Dec 19, 2016, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Film Study on Clemson defensive front - from Ohio State site ]

Throw the Gatorade out...RED BULL in every cooler. Flavor doesn't matter

Dec 20, 2016, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Film Study on Clemson defensive front - from Ohio State site ]

Good analysis. Thank you for the response.

I just read all of the comments to that article and

Dec 19, 2016, 4:58 PM

they actually have pretty logical posters on there for the most part. I see a little common sense being used. I guess I'm so brain-wrecked from reading Chicken's posts most of the time I don't know how to digest actual opponent's comments that make sense. Collectively they seem a little concerned about us. I'd be too....

Dec 20, 2016, 4:13 PM

Here's some comparison tidbits basing on stats off Football Outsiders on the O and D lines:

Defensive Lines vs Offenses:

Offensive Lines vs Defenses:

From this, you can gather that:

As far as Offensive lines, Clemson has only faced 1 defensive line better overall average ranked than OH State, Boston College. OH State has only faced 1 defensive line overall average ranked better than Clemson, Michigan.

Neither team's defensive lines have faced an offensive line better than what they are about to play as far as average ranks across stats....however, Clemson has faced a close one average ranked to OH State in Louisville (OH State averages 31.4 ranking across the O line, where Louisville averages a 39.8)...OH State on the other hand has not faced an offensive line anywhere near Clemson's (Clemson averages a 30.8 ranking where as the highest average ranked Offensive line OH State has faced is Tulsa at a 52.3 average stat ranking).

Across-the-board equal comparison, Clemson's O and D lines have a slightly better average ranking than OH State's...but the gaps are quite marginal.

Replies: 7
| visibility 3,650
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic