Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell and recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Brownell and recruiting

Jan 18, 2016, 12:42 PM

Next season, Clemson will have 3 top 100 players on the roster.

Grantham (75 overall)
Mitchell (76 overall)
Thomas (29 overall)

Also, Hudson was a 4* player according to ESPN. Add in our ability to develop big men and wings and next years time may be one of the more talented teams Clemson has ever put on the floor.

Brad wan't having much success in the pond he was fishing in, so he found a different pond. I don't mind bringing in transfers at all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Avery has really turned into a difference maker***

Jan 18, 2016, 12:44 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup

Jan 18, 2016, 12:47 PM

He went out and found a point guard that better fits his system. Avery's ability to hit the 3 has really opened up the floor for Nnoko, Grantham, and Blossomgame. I think Marcquise Reed is going to be really good as well.

Re: Brownell and recruiting

Jan 18, 2016, 12:47 PM

Reed is also a very talented player...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/marcquise-reed-1.html

15 ppg 41% from 3.

Scored:
24 on UNC
21 on Clemson
22 on Duke in the NCAAT

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 18, 2016, 1:12 PM

Not so fast on Brad's ability to develop big men. That has yet to be proven over any given season he has coached. To think that way when all Knoko and Djitte have done is the last 3 game spurt is simply jumping the gun on this! He has no such track record yet with big men!

I would disagree... and point to

Jan 18, 2016, 1:13 PM

Grant his first year...

I think he made Grant much, much better

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I would disagree... and point to

Jan 19, 2016, 1:33 AM

Don't forget about Baicu.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2016, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell and recruiting ]

Umm...

Grant developed a ton under him and so did Baciu that OPs staff did nothing with.

Look at Nnokos stats over his career. You cant honestly look at that and tell me he hasnt improved.

null

Nnoko and Djitte

Jan 18, 2016, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell and recruiting ]

Have both improved significantly. Nnoko has improved each season, even after starting at Clemson with very little competitive basketball experience before college. Djitte had even less experience than Nnoko coming into college and now he has some nice post moves and is a rebounding demon. Clemson's ability to improve post players was the reason Thomas (per Thomas) chose Clemson.

also makes one wonder if perhaps the departure of

Jan 18, 2016, 1:53 PM

Earl Grant contributed to the recent slump in Clemson's basketball fortunes...good to see a recovery is i full swing

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: also makes one wonder if perhaps the departure of

Jan 18, 2016, 8:19 PM

I met Grant a few times at football games. He was very upbeat and personable. I can believe he got a lot of recruits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 19, 2016, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell and recruiting ]

Puh-leez. You're either kidding or you haven't watched the Clemson Tigers from Clemson University. This staff develops players and Nnoko is a perfect example. ...over more than the last 3 games.

Taking transfers to improve talent level is much preferable

Jan 18, 2016, 1:37 PM

to going the AAU route.....the sleaze factor is nearly inescapable when you have to deal with a player, parents AND an "advisor" who's usually job-shopping.

The problems are pretty evident with transfers:
...are players not good enough to break rotation at their old school worthwhile bringing in considering the time they have to sit and the time necessary to develop game-level chemistry.
...academic compliance
...making sure transferring player isn't a problem child

Coach Brownell seems to have a pretty good handle on the issues and the Tigers' talent level is rising with more improvement in the near future

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taking transfers to improve talent level is much preferable

Jan 18, 2016, 1:39 PM

The only one we have brought in that hasnt played a bunch at his previous school was Thomas.

null

hope eventually increased success will also

Jan 18, 2016, 1:45 PM

begin to show itself with better recruiting (non-transfers)....course, nowadays, if a player coming out of HS or an academy is really good, he won't be there more than a year or two anyhow

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

Jan 18, 2016, 2:22 PM

Pretty sure Blossomgame was a Top 100 player too, so that would be 4 right?

114 on rivals

Jan 18, 2016, 2:26 PM

Still, not much difference between 114 and 100.

Devoe was 121

Jan 18, 2016, 2:27 PM

Again, close enough to 100 for it not to matter.

I imagine most on here don't recall that Brownell had only 9

Jan 18, 2016, 5:59 PM

players on scholarship his first season here after Purnell. Thankfully Nuk pitched in after football so they could at least practice five on five when needed. He definitely had to pick up some "warm bodies" those first few years just to fill out a full roster as things picked up. Most of our transfers out have been from that pool. Overall we've definitely been the net beneficiary in that category with Harrison and now Holmes. Out of all the outgoing only Devin Coleman has made much of an impact, and that's this year as a senior at Temple.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Underrated post!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jan 18, 2016, 7:55 PM

OP left the cupboard bare. Not unlike what spurlock did to SC. Maybe he is turning the corner.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic