Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why we are in if we win out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Why we are in if we win out

Nov 7, 2017, 10:35 PM

Even in a worst case scenario where OU jumps us by beating TCU and the three teams currently ahead of us (UGA, Bama, ND) all win out up to the SECCG, tarnishing our record by leaving Auburn with 4 losses and giving Miami a loss as well... we still get in as a 1-loss defending national champion coming off an ACCCG win, because in that scenario they will drop the SECCG loser out of the playoff rather than leave us out.

Not saying they would drop the SECCG loser in any case, but if it's us, with 1 loss, and ACC champs, they will take us rather than giving the SEC loser a do over.

Any other scenario involving any other loss by UGA, Bama, ND and we are in easily if we win out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One would hope.

Nov 7, 2017, 10:39 PM

But many of the "it just means more" religion believe the SECCG loser is still one of the best 4 teams in the country. Plus, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to give Alabama as many chances as it takes for them to win, because Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope so, but...

Nov 7, 2017, 10:59 PM

The logic stands that ND would be ranked above us. Since UGA beat ND in the head-to-head, you'd have to put UGA over ND.

So the final would be:
1) Bama
2) Oklahoma
3) UGA
4) ND

I HOPE that if we win out, the one loss conf champions elevate above ND to send them a message to join the conference.

This is why we want/need Auburn to win one and Miami to beat ND this weekend.

Re: I hope so, but...

Nov 7, 2017, 11:03 PM

How do you have OU jumping us? Also why are you assuming Bama beats UGA? What if it is a one L Bama? SEC only gets one team IMO but if they were to get 2 and us and OU win out they would have to put ND out for not being a conference champion and having one less W.

Because I'm talking worst case

Nov 7, 2017, 11:10 PM

Not saying OU would jump us, but it's possible after beating OKST if they go on to beat TCU convincingly. Especially coupled with an Auburn loss and/or NCST losing to BC.

It's also possible we jump them back and maybe jump ND as well after beating Miami in ACCCG since neither of them have a championship game.

Nov 7, 2017, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope so, but... ]

Because the committee picks and chooses when it wants to apply the conference championship criteria...such as last season with OSU...why doesn’t anyone understand this?

It’s quite simple...ND and OU won out, we aren’t in.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Nov 7, 2017, 11:23 PM

It is not simple at all. If we win though we are in. The committee looks as us as one of the best 4 teams for sure. If OU and ND win out it would be best for Bama to lose to UGA just to be sure. A one L UGA could stay ahead of ND but I think we jump ND having one more W than they would.

Nov 7, 2017, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope so, but... ]

I'm not so sure it's that simple. If Georgia loses to Alabama it doesn't matter if OKL and ND win out. Clemson will jump over GA in that scenario. If Clemson wins out they are in the Playoff, period.

In my opinion if Clemson would have beat Syracuse they still could have a loss in the ACC championship game and still made the Playoff as a one loss team late in the season.

Nov 8, 2017, 7:41 AM

I agree we would be in but would they have ND or UGA if both win out but UGA loses a close one to an undefeated Bama?

Nov 7, 2017, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope so, but... ]

OSU only got in last year because Penn St had 2 losses. That is why they got in. And they smoked OU.

I think they look for team strength on each side of the ball as well and the fact that we lost a game where the starting QB was hurt.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why we are in if we win out

Nov 7, 2017, 11:00 PM

If ND us and OU win out the SEC only gets one team for sure.

Agreed***

Nov 7, 2017, 11:12 PM

Re: Agreed***

Nov 7, 2017, 11:25 PM

But if UGAs only L is to Bama in the SEC champ game there is a chance they stay ahead of ND. They would have one more W and the head to head. They would have a dang good argument.

Yes.

Nov 8, 2017, 1:56 AM

Period.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:08 AM

Scenario: UGA loses to bama in the SECCG. Miami loses to us in the ACCCG.

What's the difference?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2017, 7:33 AM

The difference with UGA and Miami both losing their CCG games will be whatever the difference is right now that has UGA #1 and Miami #7 even though both are currently unbeaten. By then Miami could have added a win over ND to its resume while UGA added a win over Auburn.

Nov 8, 2017, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Why we are in if we win out ]

If ND wins out UGA would have one more win than them and won at there place. If Miami beats ND I would say not a difference.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic