Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New TCU play hurts Tiger defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Sep 28, 2009, 11:20 AM

TCU quarterback Andy Dalton found almost all of his success on the ground on Saturday by employing a new play that the Clemson coaching staff had not seen on film, and Dalton seemed to run almost at will through the line of scrimmage and beyond. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

K Steele is a winner.

Sep 28, 2009, 11:28 AM

You can just tell through his words and on-field tenaciousness that he just absolutely hates to lose.

I wish K. Steele had a twin brother as OC***

Sep 28, 2009, 11:30 AM

I don't buy it

Sep 28, 2009, 11:30 AM [ in reply to K Steele is a winner. ]

MTSU lit us up with same play. You might want to incorporate qb spies because the word was out after the MTSU game.

you don't know what you are talking about...

Sep 28, 2009, 11:35 AM

this isn't back yard ball where can just do what looks good. If you devote a linebacker to QB only, they would score 30.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I wonder if the QB is reading the DE in space,,,maybe thats

Sep 28, 2009, 11:44 AM

a tell in Steele's package

the zone read is designed to read the DE

Sep 28, 2009, 11:47 AM

Thats why he's left unblocked.

Bowers was RIGHTLY instructed to take the BACK, but no LB could be found at times because the Guards usually get to the 2nd level on a zone read and they get themselves blocked out. TCU ran a basic zone read and killed us with it, then we adjusted and they changed to a called lead-blocker keeper play with the Guard pulling, but this particular play only burned us once.

And at least twice we had McDaniel and Hall in a position to attack and make a tackle and they did not on that very play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's not reading anything on that play... it's a called QB

Sep 28, 2009, 11:48 AM [ in reply to I wonder if the QB is reading the DE in space,,,maybe thats ]

run...

On the zone read, the QB has the option of giving it, or pulling it, based on his read of the end.

On this, it's a called run that looks like the zone read. They were pulling a gaurd, so he couldn't hand it off. On the regular zone, no one pulls.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

We play alot of Robber already

Sep 28, 2009, 11:48 AM [ in reply to I don't buy it ]

A robber is essentially a spy, but he still has coverage responsibilities over the middle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope he hates to lose but I agree

Sep 28, 2009, 11:57 AM [ in reply to K Steele is a winner. ]

He is a good coach. I know Napier is getting a lot of flack and maybe there were some questionable calls but I do not see a predictable offense out there like RS commanded.

I want to see these guys without the rain!

He BETTER hate losing!

Sep 28, 2009, 1:46 PM [ in reply to K Steele is a winner. ]

All coaches at the D1 level better hate losing! If not, they should lose their job!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

i think we only stopped it once

Sep 28, 2009, 11:29 AM

every other time it seemed to go for 10 or more. It really hurt us and we seemed powerless to figure it out

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every team so far has run the QB zone-read, haven't they?

Sep 28, 2009, 11:42 AM

I remember MTSU & BC running it effectively. And GT ran something similar in their system with Nesbitt, it was a hitch in their QB dive.

I think we're going to get a heavy dose of it until we stop it consistently.

Re: Every team so far has run the QB zone-read, haven't they?

Sep 28, 2009, 11:56 AM

The d-line is doing just fine with the zone-read. If we give them the RB and play the QB with d-line, the running backs have a better chance of hitting the edge for BIG gains. With that, our LB's have to be able to close faster and take QB. We are getting spread out and the "box" is left wide open.

You guys ever heard of a guy.....Micheal Hamlin maybe?

That is why the zone-read didn't work too well against us. He was put into that half safety/half LB position and was able to stop opposing QB runs.

Don't look for it in the near future...

Sep 28, 2009, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Every team so far has run the QB zone-read, haven't they? ]

Maryland doesn't have the OLine to try.

Wake has that as part of their arsenal, but Riley's not the most elusive guy around.

And Miami doesn't want to put their meal ticket in the sights of Bowers and Sapp.

Coastal? Nah....

FSU, Ponder isn't that mobile.

If we get to the NC State game and Wilson is still in one piece, then he might be a challenge.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You obviously haven't been watching FSU's Ponder run.

Sep 28, 2009, 1:28 PM

Ponder has been incredible running the ball this season on design-QB-runs and FSU has been running a very similar play (and QB draws & bootlegs) very, very effectively. Ponder has already rushed for 2 TDs (which is more than CJ has rushed for). Ponder will hurt us badly with his legs unless Steele gets this resolved.

I'll defer to your observation...

Sep 28, 2009, 1:37 PM

What I've seen of Ponder as a runner was when plays hadn't developed properly.

But if FSU has already shown he as a running threat, I'm guessing Steele will be ready.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New TCU play hurts Tiger defense

Sep 28, 2009, 12:08 PM

This is the only disparaging remark I have for Clemson and the game. Your D Coordinator must be short-sighted or completely retarded. That wasn't a new play, that's been a staple of TCU's offense for at least the last 5 years. To say that your team hadn't seen it on tape speaks volumes, in a negative manner, of either the scouting department or the coaching staff.

Dalton is great with the play. His ballhandling and reads on that play are always excellent.

For the guy that said it was a straight QB run because of the guard pulling. That's incorrect. TCU runs the read option with a pulling guard, just about every time.

hmmm.... interesting***

Sep 28, 2009, 1:06 PM

Sep 28, 2009, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: New TCU play hurts Tiger defense ]

The reason it was a new play, however, was b/c it was NOT the read option.

"The play is a take-off on the zone read option, but instead of actually doing [sic] through with the read, the quarterback would fake the zone read then pull backside and chase the pulling guard."

Sep 28, 2009, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Re: New TCU play hurts Tiger defense ]

Hey Horned Eagle. The "retarded" DC you are referring to was the DC at Alabama last year. Remember them? 12-0 in the regular season...in the SEC?
Who's the "######" one here?

Sep 28, 2009, 12:09 PM

why is that we didn't also come up with a new offensive play for TCU's defense? We have the same amount of time as them, so we had equal opportunity to do the same to them. Is it just a one way street and the other team can do it to us but we can't do it to them?

Sep 28, 2009, 5:26 PM

Yeah, we just run the same plays every week and hope they can't stop it. Bubble Screen!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a Kevin Steele supporter but come on

Sep 28, 2009, 1:16 PM

they were talking about the quarterback draw on the radio 2 days before the game. We certainly saw the same thing at GT out of the option. Their guys were getting open down the field as well. However, overall the defense played well. The offensive brain truss went dead. Is the TE over the middle an illegal play?????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So basically, the QB Sneak has cost us two games...

Sep 28, 2009, 5:31 PM

Suite.

Looked like the same play from that talentless hack Nesbitt although this guy was White and Slow.

That's all coaching if you ask me.

I think we've gotten out coached twice, but I feel like they will get it together. I also feel like those other coaches are going to get out recruited big time and later on it won't even matter.

Mack Brown couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag and look what he's done...

Also, I will probably be bald by the end of the season from Pulling my Hair out every time Spiller 'needs a breather' when he just took it straight down the field in three plays.... Oh, Spiller left, Spiller Right, Spiller Middle... Spiller Sideline Redzone Stall Out, AGAIN.

outcoached again ?***

Sep 28, 2009, 2:17 PM

WHY DOES SPILLER COME OUT IN THE REDZONE? EVER?***

Sep 28, 2009, 5:32 PM

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic