Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Charleston announcing now removing Calhoun stature will come
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Charleston announcing now removing Calhoun stature will come

Jun 17, 2020, 3:19 PM

down. Mayor on tv live now in Marion square.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charleston announcing now removing Calhoun stature will come

Jun 17, 2020, 3:22 PM

Actually he is sending a request to city counsel to vote on its removal and send Calhoun to a local museum.

A museum?

Jun 17, 2020, 3:37 PM

There they go - deleting history.

Moving historical things to places where historical items are stored is simply unacceptable.

Re: A museum?

Jun 17, 2020, 3:50 PM

yep I remember seeing that done w the arc of the covenant. by now they probably lost it in that big warehouse

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's probably right next to the missing Faberge eggs, and

Jun 17, 2020, 5:35 PM

the scrolls from the Library of Alexandria.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The real question is...

Jun 17, 2020, 4:10 PM [ in reply to A museum? ]

will some of Aunt Jemima syrup bottle and pancake boxes be sent to a museum (possibly Smithsonian) or just left to rot in a landfill?

What museum will the UVA logo be displayed in?***

Jun 17, 2020, 4:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

One with a pergola***

Jun 17, 2020, 4:32 PM

Re: The real question is...

Jun 17, 2020, 6:36 PM [ in reply to The real question is... ]

Why does no one talk about black slave owners? In 1860 there were 171 black slave owners in South Carolina alone! The largest was William Ellison who lived near Sumter and owned 63 slaves. He also sent his sons to fight for the Confederacy.
You never get taught that bit of history in school do you!

LOL. "Marion Square"

Jun 17, 2020, 3:32 PM

When is that gonna get renamed? Francis Marion had a plantation with slaves.

It's not

Jun 17, 2020, 3:36 PM

Marion didn't singlehandedly try and start a Civil War decades before it started. He also wasn't the Southern figurehead of slavery as an institution (Calhoun).

He also wasn't a domestic terrorist who lynched black people and took up arms against black people who dared exercise the few rights they did have at the time (Tillman).

Your straw man doesn't work.

Re: It's not

Jun 17, 2020, 3:41 PM

What ? Straw Man ?????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very insensitive towards straws which aren’t good for turtles

Jun 17, 2020, 4:31 PM

Just bad all around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So basically...

Jun 17, 2020, 3:57 PM [ in reply to It's not ]

it's just the slave owners with extremist views who are problematic?

Statues, buildings and/or monuments named after men like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Francis Marion (among others), who simply purchased slaves for their plantations are safe (at least for now)?

Just trying to follow the logic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Check your privilege!***

Jun 17, 2020, 4:20 PM

Re: So basically...logic

Jun 17, 2020, 4:27 PM [ in reply to So basically... ]

I'm still trying to figure the hatred of Christopher Columbus

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was a slave owner

Jun 17, 2020, 4:30 PM

BUT one of the bad slave owners? Still trying to figure that one out. He also opened the gate for the conquering of the new world.

If that's the case...

Jun 17, 2020, 4:33 PM

it's the Native Americans who should be pi$$ed-off at Columbus?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If that's the case...

Jun 17, 2020, 4:47 PM

and the US Govt generally. US govt took land, made treated, ignored treaty to take more land, made another treaty....etc. Dont forget periodic killing and wars in the quest of above.

are you just talking U.S. wars, or do you include

Jun 17, 2020, 5:59 PM

the Indian wars where Indians slaughtered and/or enslaved other Indians and took their land?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Quiet, you!***

Jun 18, 2020, 6:06 PM

Re: So basically...

Jun 17, 2020, 6:03 PM [ in reply to So basically... ]

Washington inherited his slaves from his wife's father and was prohibited by Virginia law to free them until his death which he did in his will.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For now, yes.

Jun 17, 2020, 6:10 PM [ in reply to So basically... ]

It would seem that you are actually COMPLAINING that the worst case scenario in your head that isn't actually happening is problematic for you. Why would you want statues of all slave owners to be removed? Or are you just putting words in the mouth of the opposition?

I don't agree with removing statues of all slave owners. I'll go on record here and say that. I think that violent people who were traitorous to the country shouldn't be honored. Can you discern the shade of meaning there?

Keep on yelping loud enough, and you might embolden folks who have a more extreme stance. That population seems to be growing faster than the other.

It just seems to me that you're hollering before you actually get hit with the belt.

Be sure to stay in the lines...

Jun 18, 2020, 8:23 AM

when you paint with such a broad brush.

To suggest that I'm complaining or that something is problematic for me couldn't be any further from the truth. In fact, I've not espoused my position on the issue in any way whatsoever so ultimately, you have absolutely no idea what I think.

I simply asked a question so a position could be clarified. Nothing more and nothing less.

Remind me again who is hollering before actually getting hit?

Re: For now, yes.

Jun 19, 2020, 1:09 AM [ in reply to For now, yes. ]

This boy thinks he has all the answers.

Ah. Some slave holders are acceptable.***

Jun 17, 2020, 4:18 PM [ in reply to It's not ]

The reasoning for renaming the Honors College and

Jun 17, 2020, 6:01 PM

Tillman never had anything to do with the concept of slave ownership. It was all about those two figures' particularly distasteful approach to setting back race relations in this county by 80 years between the two.

If you want to work yourself in a tizzy and assume that the argument is "all slave owners statues should be removed" then, hey, that's your prerogative. The first question is why you would care enough to be disingenuous and the second question is have you thought about fueling the fire of the opposition while the coals are burning hot rather than just taking the L and moving along?

Sounds like you're asking all these BLM weirdos to move onto the other thing that wasn't originally the point. Your purposeful obfuscation of the argument could actually work against you.

"It was all about those two figures' particularly

Jun 17, 2020, 7:15 PM

distasteful approach to setting back race relations in this county by 80 years between the two."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

That piece of real estate is prime

Jun 17, 2020, 5:54 PM [ in reply to LOL. "Marion Square" ]

for more upscale hotels so the world can visit to enjoy the heritage of the city. Oh ..... wait

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't seen Democrats this mad since

Jun 17, 2020, 4:43 PM

we took away their slaves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 5:48 PM

It is of great importance that most of the Confederate Statues went up in the early 20th century, not after the Civil War, but during Jim Crow when lynchings were commonplace.

Robert E. Lee himself was against erecting confederate statues so as not to "keep open the wound".

I take no offense to them taking them all down. We lost that war, and thank God we did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2020, 8:26 AM

That statue looked cool. Hopefully they replace it with something else that looks great.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic