Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where I've landed on the COVID-19 crisis.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 898

Where I've landed on the COVID-19 crisis.

Apr 20, 2020, 10:23 AM

No, I am not a medical doctor, a pathologist, or immunologist, but guess what? They don't have the answers either. Everyone is trying to find the balance between killing the economy and staying safe. From all I have studied, and I have followed this from well before the lockdown, here's where I have landed:

1) It is a VIRUS. It behaves like a virus. We may or may not be able to get accurate testing for antibodies, a vaccine, etc. Therefore, we must allow natural immunity to build up by allowing some people to be exposed (the young and healthy). The Spanish Flu died out when a) people built up immunity and b) it mutated into H1N1, a less virulent strain. This thing has to run its course.

2) Protect the most vulnerable - nursing homes, long-term care institutions, prisoners, and the immuno-compromised. Look at where the most deaths are - it's in these settings.

3) Continue taking personal precautions such as handwashing, social distancing, etc.

4) Testing or not, vaccine or not, OPEN UP THE ECONOMY. This cannot go on. Back to normal asap.

5) Hold China accountable. I have seen enough smoke to firmly believe a) China is not being truthful b) this was not a benign, natural outbreak. I have posted videos of the early reaction in China, links to the fishy professor at Harvard, and other evidence. I won't post again. We don not know exactly what happened, but something did and China must be held accountable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was with you until 4 and 5

Apr 20, 2020, 10:47 AM

4. I think the step plan designed by Trump's team is a good plan and should be followed. In no way shape or form should we go back to normal ASAP.

5. I don't think China weaponized a virus then unleashed it on their own people to attack the US. That's the GOP propaganda providing a boogeyman to their base. I think China severely mismanaged and tried to cover up just how bad this thing was. But as an attack, makes 0 sense.

I go back to Hanlon's razor on this: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I didn't say that about 5. I am saying China has not been

Apr 20, 2020, 11:35 AM

truthful. ####, just their numbers alone (infections, deaths, etc.) are clearly lies. Then if you look at the smoke around this thing - the quarantining by force, the Wuhan lab connections, etc. it is fishy. There is no way this is just a benign, natural outbreak. They knew it was very bad. They minimized the numbers. They didn't do these things for no reason.

I don't believe it is a weaponized virus. They don't want to kill our economy because it kills theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_7h8_CZp0

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was with you until 4 and 5

Apr 20, 2020, 1:18 PM [ in reply to I was with you until 4 and 5 ]

Hope you have learned how to stretch that stimulus check.

I think all state employees that are not essential should be furloughed until we open back up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't really heard many people saying that about China

Apr 20, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to I was with you until 4 and 5 ]

What I have heard is a lot of people talking about how irresponsible and not truthful that China has been.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where I've landed on the COVID-19 crisis.

Apr 20, 2020, 10:52 AM

I agree with the top 4. I don't think there is anything we can do to China though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need to make everyone out in public wear a mask

Apr 20, 2020, 11:37 AM

or something in front of their face to prevent spreading their spores. Like asymptomatic guy we will call "Big Joe" who has terrible allergies on the plane, and is sneezing his covid infection all over you from ten rows back.

Big Joe could also be in the store, the church, the local coffee shop, the godforsaken waiting room at the dentist. Without the shield of his own mask, he will sneeze and spew his viral load right into your mouth and down into your throat. Good luck to you and yours if that happens.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.***

Apr 20, 2020, 11:52 AM

As we open things back up (retail, etc), I think that the

Apr 20, 2020, 3:53 PM [ in reply to We need to make everyone out in public wear a mask ]

stores need to require them...better to bite the bullet now instead of slowly rolling out stuff like this out.

I wish I saw more folks working in stores and restaurant wearing them, to be honest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Economic recovery will be dependent on 80%. + ....

Apr 20, 2020, 12:19 PM

of the public buying in. Regardless of what the Federal, State and local governments do there will be leading sectors and lagging sectors. Travel, tourism, lodging, airlines, cruise industry, theaters, theme parks, spectator sports, live entertainment, conventions, conferences and restaurants will be highly dependent on consumer confidence. And that confidence comes with perceived safety.

Yes, I agree.***

Apr 20, 2020, 12:23 PM

Re: Where I've landed on the COVID-19 crisis.

Apr 20, 2020, 12:29 PM

Agree with 1-3. Number 4 is an attitude we cannot have right now. That's reckless, and honestly, goes against what you're arguing in 1-3.

We can't start packing people in bars, restaurants, and concert venues.

As for 5, I mean, I dunno how we do that (also, that Harvard guy isn't connected to this). I agree that at best, China was negligent and tried to cover it up. I just don't know the good answer to make them accountable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

"We can't start packing people in bars, restaurants, and con

Apr 20, 2020, 12:49 PM

cert venues".

Sure we can. IF the most vulnerable stay home (over 60, immuno-compromised in any way, etc.) AND we keep long-term care facilities off limits to all but essential workers.

Will some die? Yes. Will immunity build up? Yup.

Re: "We can't start packing people in bars, restaurants, and con

Apr 20, 2020, 1:20 PM

I'm going to err on the side of medical experts and historical records that say this approach is the wrong one.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I'll go with Sweden and say it is. Both of us just made the

Apr 20, 2020, 2:59 PM

appeal to authority fallacy, a case where philosophy and real life intersect. A doctor will, 100% of the time, tell you to stay home. Deciding what to do and when is bigger than that one factor. Economic and Constitutional factors are important at the both the individual and societal levels. If my doctor can, by threat of legal action, force me, a healthy person, to go home, at either the individual or societal level, we are in deep ####. As I have said before, if a governor and the cops arrest the wrong person, one with some sense and resources, a challenge could be made, and if our Supreme Court hears it, they will come down on the side of the individual, maybe the only branch of our govt that does right now.

The protesters have a point. Sure, some of them are idiots, and the photographer knows how to get the biggest one. But the case that goes to the Court will not be an overweight gal with a confederate do-rag. It will be a soccer mom or an employee in dockers and a golf shirt, claiming the right to meet for tea or to show up for work when all parties display informed consent. The left needs to careful in painting the issue as rednecks vs the intelligents. It wont work out that way.

Sweden is showing that people can be trusted to understand that restaurants don't spread viruses, people do. Given information and tools, individuals can be trusted to make the right decisions for more people, more often, than an autocrat. We have let fear cause us to give that up in favor of entitlement and blaming.

"Will immunity build up? Yup."

Apr 20, 2020, 3:07 PM [ in reply to "We can't start packing people in bars, restaurants, and con ]

I think I'd answer that with "maybe, and if so, we don't know for how long"

Meet in the middle: Yes, but we don't know for how long.***

Apr 20, 2020, 3:18 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 898
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic