Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Your kids not going to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 93
| visibility 1,071

Your kids not going to Clemson

Sep 10, 2020, 2:00 PM

Obed® got me thinking, my kid loves Clemson but he picked the close by university that has a really good nursing program. I was glad, because he's home and it's a nice savings in tuition.

I have sort of come to grips that Clemson will not be in the plans for perhaps any of my kids.

Do you still hope yours will go there ? Why or why not ?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of my non-existent child

Sep 10, 2020, 2:03 PM

I would want them to go to a good school they want for their field.

If kiddo wants to be an engineer, then I will be disappointed if they don't go to Clemson - unless if it's aerospace or nuclear, or they go to MIT/GT.

I'm sure krzywife will want USAFA, grandpa will want USNA, so I would be happy if the kiddo found an academy as well.

All in all, whatever they want, but I think deep down I will always hope it's Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I'm trying to move out of SC and wife keeps reminding me

Sep 10, 2020, 2:04 PM

that out-of-state tuition to Clemson is High AF.

I'm of the mindset that they can choose their own path, as long as it is not to the University of South Carolina. I think Clemson is getting really difficult from an in-state position as well though, from talking to the resident guidance counselor in my house. One of us would not get into Clemson today so why do I think the kids we made would automatically get accepted?

Bottom line, I want them to go to Clemson, she wants them to go to Clemson, but realistically, I imagine one of them will go to Clemson. The third one will be lucky to get out of 1st grade. He might have to go to USC, but I would push for another easy school like CofC.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF you can't go to college, go to Coastal

Sep 10, 2020, 2:05 PM

was the sayin' back in my day

Oldest thinks she wants Stanford though, or Clemson. I

Sep 10, 2020, 2:05 PM [ in reply to I'm trying to move out of SC and wife keeps reminding me ]

would support Stanford if there was enough money to make it feasible. Also, she aint going to Stanford, but she can dream.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just down to my youngest.

Sep 10, 2020, 2:05 PM

So I've still got a chance to get one in Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your kids not going to Clemson

Sep 10, 2020, 2:07 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

I suspect college will be way different by the time mine

Sep 10, 2020, 2:10 PM

gets there. Not only that, he's displaying a lot of his dads personality traits, so I don't think an overcrowded apartment town is going to do much for him.

I AM ANGRY ABOUT WHAT CLEMSON HAS BECOME IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a little frustrating...

Sep 10, 2020, 2:11 PM

the school has lost sight of it's mission to become elite. I guess that's good to some extent. But way too expensive and difficult to get in. It even seems harder for legacies.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did it lose sight of its mission?

Sep 10, 2020, 2:13 PM

I guess I haven't seen a lot of push like there used to be for the whole Top 20 initiative. So I believe you, just didn't know if there was more changes that happened.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm talking about the reason it was established....

Sep 10, 2020, 2:14 PM

way back when - a school for the common people of SC...but that's why I said it is good to some extent because it is more prestigious than the state school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ooh, gotcha, I misread that.

Sep 10, 2020, 2:16 PM

I personally enjoy watching my degree become worth more and more as Clemson keeps pushing to become elite...but I'm not a South Carolinian at heart.

I would say that Clemson has deviated from the chartered mission.

I think legacies used to have a leg up on others

Sep 10, 2020, 2:15 PM [ in reply to a little frustrating... ]

now, it really means nothing except maybe the Bridge program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and I did not go...

Sep 10, 2020, 2:17 PM

I applied and was accepted in the 80s with good grades and SAT scores, I decided to stay close to home in Florida. As competitive as it is to get in now, I wish I had gone now.

No doubt, the only reason I would get in these days

Sep 10, 2020, 2:34 PM

is I was from a small town and little competition for being highly ranked in my class.

As much as Clemson has been focused on scores - SATS, ACTS, GPA's and Class Rankings, it will be interesting to see what they do without the test scores due to Covid.

My degree is definitely seen as a much more valuable degree that it was over 40 years ago - kids with a 3.5 in Finance are highly sought after - I had to fight for interviews.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same as you, Padre. I am almost positive I would not be

Sep 10, 2020, 2:56 PM

accepted today.

This will date me, but I took the SAT in the days when we were reminded on Friday to not forget it, we went out on a date that night until after midnight, then the next morning we came skidding into the parking lot, ran into the cafeteria just as they were shutting the doors, knocked it out as fast as we could to get to the lake by early afternoon. Unless somebody was trying to get into Yale, we didn't even think about it. Taking it a second time was sacrilege.

Here is how much it has changed:
My daughter is not like me at all. Is like her mom. Lots of people make 4.0 or higher in HS these days, but she did do that, 3rd or 4th in her class. But she also made 1450-something on the SAT. So, as said below, she had some local offers. We get to Clemson, they were like, "Well if you are a trainer, maybe we could waive the out of state portion of the tuition." Got it.

To be fair, they probably looked at my transcript and stamped her application "Suspect".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol***

Sep 10, 2020, 3:00 PM

I pretty much farted around my senior year of high school..

Sep 10, 2020, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Same as you, Padre. I am almost positive I would not be ]

still had a good GPA and high SATs, but I'm sure me being a legacy was helpful as well.

There was no such thing as studying or prepping for the SAT

Sep 10, 2020, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Same as you, Padre. I am almost positive I would not be ]

in my day, took it once and done.

800 math...550 verbal.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:06 PM

Stupid test. #engineer

lol...

Sep 10, 2020, 3:10 PM

pretty close to mine. Dominate math ho-hum verbal

^^^two lol subjects in the same thread ^^^

Sep 10, 2020, 3:12 PM

see

That was pretty much what I made

Sep 10, 2020, 3:50 PM [ in reply to 800 math...550 verbal. ]

#engineerdropout

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Studying for SAT was for remedials. I am not saying all

Sep 10, 2020, 3:28 PM [ in reply to There was no such thing as studying or prepping for the SAT ]

this in the "walked to school in the snow" vein, but I do wonder if the current way of going about it yields anything accurate. Stop a guy on the street, ask him who McDuff was, you know whether he has read any classic literature. Tell him that he's going to be tested on literature next week, and he takes a prep course, that same question tells you nothing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The crime dog.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:31 PM

Who doesn't know that?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i wouldn't get in today cause

Sep 11, 2020, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Same as you, Padre. I am almost positive I would not be ]

related to jc calhoun

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I graduated HS in 2002.

Sep 11, 2020, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Same as you, Padre. I am almost positive I would not be ]

It's almost funny thinking how slack I was about college.

I guess it was a foregone conclusion that I was going to Carolina or Clemson (dad was USuC alumn, mom a Clemson alumn).

I took the SAT in 10th grade and made a 1370. Said, "meh, that should be good enough and never took it again."

I finished all of my core classes midway through my junior year, so my whole senior year was PE and classes at the vocational tech center.

I don't think my parents realized how competitive college admissions were, and neither did I. I could have taken the SAT a few more times and probably had an absolutely killer score. Could have packed on a bunch of AP and honors classes my senior year as well. Oh well. Guess it all worked out.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

770 Math + 600 Verbal?

Sep 11, 2020, 9:53 AM

Are you me?

Re: 770 Math + 600 Verbal?

Sep 11, 2020, 10:00 AM

720 math and 650 verbal, IIRC.

I was always proud of this:

I took the actual SAT (not PSAT) in 7th grade. It was some sort of "bright student" thing... not sure how common it was for other school districts. I think they were just gauging how we would fair on it.
I rushed through it so that I could play in a rec. league basketball game.
I made a 1020, including 570 on math and I hadn't even had algebra or geometry yet. I think that score was higher than both of parents their senior year of HS. It was very close to what SarahAdidas made her jr. year in HS too.

It's different experience now for sure

Sep 10, 2020, 2:23 PM [ in reply to a little frustrating... ]

the tuition when I went was ridiculously low. It was still a small sleepy town. So in essence the experience I had doesn't exist there anymore

Probably between 2002 & 2010 the biggest changes

Sep 10, 2020, 2:24 PM

were happening.

2000-2006 were my years there. It changed dramatically then

Sep 10, 2020, 4:04 PM

and is still changing.

my only kid

Sep 10, 2020, 2:17 PM

was not real high on going to Clemson, I was ready to change my primary residence and try to get some of that instate tuition, but since he was meh, he went instate to UGA and it did not cost me an extra dime over what was already saved via 529 and other not tuition account

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

prayers extended during next clemson-uga game***

Sep 10, 2020, 2:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate to admit it, but

Sep 10, 2020, 2:57 PM [ in reply to my only kid ]

we are looking at UGA in October as well. ugh....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My wife went to UGA...

Sep 10, 2020, 2:58 PM

Downtown scene is awesome.

Plus, women outnumber men there, so it's a target rich environment. And it's not like it's a bad school.

If you think what Tom Winkopp has done to Clemson is

Sep 10, 2020, 3:00 PM [ in reply to I hate to admit it, but ]

Bad, wait until you have to pour your beer in a solo cup at Georgia tailgates. Straight up unAmerican.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great place to visit***

Sep 10, 2020, 3:34 PM [ in reply to I hate to admit it, but ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I've come to grips with it.

Sep 10, 2020, 2:21 PM

I mean, since I have no kids.

My son moves in on Saturday

Sep 10, 2020, 2:23 PM

He has NO IDEA what he wants to do, and he better hurry the hell up and figure it out or it will be a short stay.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on his major

Sep 10, 2020, 2:36 PM

if he is in business, he can probably take three semesters to declare a major. If he is in engineering, he probably will end up in business if he does not like engineering. :)

He is starting in, get this

Sep 10, 2020, 2:41 PM

Anthropology. However, he is going to get the B.S. instead of the B.A. which I think is a smart move. Also, he is going to minor in business which is also a smart move. He is really good in German (made 7th highest score in SC his junior year on the national german exam), so he is going to mix in some german classes as well. I "think" he will end up being ok if he accomplishes all of that.

Anthropology? Seems like he really would have wanted to go

Sep 10, 2020, 2:57 PM

to Emily Dickinson College. I wouldn't recommend the Pottery elective though.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Do you mind if we dance wiff your dates?" - "Sure"***

Sep 10, 2020, 3:01 PM

Business minor is smart, lots of kids are doing

Sep 10, 2020, 3:05 PM [ in reply to He is starting in, get this ]

double majors now since they are getting college credits in High School.

Make sure he takes advantage of the free tutoring

Sep 10, 2020, 3:09 PM [ in reply to He is starting in, get this ]

Clemson offers - it is awesome what they do now - one program is called "PALS" - they pay students to attend the classes and then tutor the other students - of course the tutors have already taken the class and did well to become a PAL.

They have this for the hardest classes - the ones most students struggle with.

They will also tutor for other classes if requested.

Strange thing is most students will not take advantage of these programs, which is sad.

Congrats, btw! Hope he loves it there.***

Sep 10, 2020, 2:39 PM [ in reply to My son moves in on Saturday ]

Kids these days.....

Sep 10, 2020, 3:00 PM [ in reply to My son moves in on Saturday ]

unlike us who knew exactly what we wanted to do with our lives as incoming freshmen! :)

I thought he wanted to be an archaeologist?

Clemson does not offer archaeology degree

Sep 10, 2020, 3:48 PM

Anthropology is as close as he could get. It is my VERY STRONG desire that he changes majors.

He should absolutely change majors.***

Sep 11, 2020, 10:09 AM

I like your funny words magic man

Maybe sooner in his college career than his old man did!***

Sep 10, 2020, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Kids these days..... ]

Which dorm?***

Sep 10, 2020, 3:33 PM [ in reply to My son moves in on Saturday ]

Calhoun Courts II (I think)***

Sep 10, 2020, 3:49 PM

being out of state, the chances are probably 1%***

Sep 10, 2020, 2:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I go back and forth. We were in NC, and she had some

Sep 10, 2020, 2:36 PM

good scholarship offers in state, while at Clemson it was the full out of state tuition deal, and you know what that is like. She was willing to be a trainer in the athletic dept, which is its own good deal because she would have had full access to most of what the athletes had, but there was no actual scholarship money there until the senior year. We made a visit, talked to the staff, etc.

That is relevant because what got her to want to be a trainer was seeing Dabo's speech when he was introduced as head coach. She saw it and said, "I want to go work for him", so we set out on that path.

Knowing what we know now, and what she would have been exposed to and learned, maybe we should have bitten the bullet and done what was necessary. But of course you don't know all that. Not only were the local offers good for us, but she liked the idea, too, and in the end it was her decision. So, yeah, I go back and forth with it. If I knew then what I know now, yes, would make it happen. But not knowing, it's fine. I try to not think about it.

As Franc said above, the mission has changed, so I have to look at it as two different schools, the one I went to and the one she decided to not go to. Each is fabulous, but she didn't actually choose to not go to the one I went to.

APM has had this discussion w/several old school bros.

Sep 10, 2020, 2:41 PM

Here's the interesting thing - while each of us for selfish reasons would have loved to have had a kid pick Clemson, all of us are either OK with OR (majority) are actually glad their kid didn't pick Clemson. For a variety of reasons. I have heard "Clemson isn't what it was when we were there", "My kid chose best for her and it was a better for her than Clemson", "Clemson has gotten too big", "For the money these days we had to go with the school that gave him the most money", etc.

But main point is, not one of my friends was crying about their kid not gong to Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine are gung-ho about going to Clemson.

Sep 10, 2020, 2:43 PM

Time will tell.

Hopefully they get some scholly money and can follow the money.

how old are they? lil'APM loved him some Clemson until

Sep 10, 2020, 2:46 PM

he turned about 15 and decided he knew better.

He was right though. And I guess that is part of the growing up process.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how old are they? lil'APM loved him some Clemson until

Sep 10, 2020, 2:47 PM

boy 9
girl 8

Not much scholly money out there, unless it is need based

Sep 10, 2020, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Mine are gung-ho about going to Clemson. ]

Friends daughter was valedictorian in her class, great test scores, lots of extracurricular stuff, etc. Great resume, easily accepted into Clemson, got NADA as far as scholarship money. She is going elsewhere.

Our friends daughter was same - full ride at CofC

Sep 10, 2020, 3:16 PM

with a personal call from the President when she was offered the scholly.

Clemson, zero, zitch.

Yep.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Not much scholly money out there, unless it is need based ]

Maybe the boy will show out and be a football stud..... best case scenario, he gets money to go somewhere like Newberry College... barf. I think I'd tell him to go to Clemson and I'll just foot the bill.

For the daughter... do they offer scholarships for being a smartazzzz? Because that's my best chance.

Either that or enlisting in the Navy.

Even with out of state tuition, my Clemson degree has been

Sep 10, 2020, 2:44 PM

a solid education and has probably opened some doors for me, especially in recent years. I was moved to the top of the applicant pile for my current job because I had Clemson on my resume and my bosses' daughter wanted to go and did not get accepted. He's also a huge sports fan soooo there's that too.

I think it will be harder to justify the cost/return for my own kids, even with the family legacy.

I hope my kids go to Clemson.

Sep 10, 2020, 2:50 PM

I have a degree and so does their grandfather so maybe that will matter of it comes down to Another student and grades/sat are almost the same.

I can’t afford to put 4 kids through school out of state, so unless they get a big scholarship to OOS then they will need to do an instate school. Don’t really want any one of them to have crippling student loans.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My oldest doesn't have much interest

Sep 10, 2020, 2:55 PM

I think part of it is "do the opposite of what my parents did", but to the point you raised, I'm ok with it. Still love the place but it's not the same place that my grandfather, father, or I went to. They've paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

What's more frustrating is that Clemson seems equally indifferent. I don't expect azzkissing and special treatment, but he's an honors college candidate and would be a 4th generation alum, and we haven't gotten so much as a mailer from them. Meanwhile, he gets constant marketing bombardment from everything from really small schools to Ivy league schools, with Alabama and Auburn having local recruiters calling him twice a month. I really don't get what makes Clemson tick anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least you'll still have good football.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:00 PM

But hanging out in the mountaineernet Jounge is nowhere near as fun.

I think you have to reach out to them. Maybe you should

Sep 10, 2020, 3:11 PM [ in reply to My oldest doesn't have much interest ]

catch a Big Yellow Taxi and head down to Clemson and visit the admissions office.

Not really, but you have three generations and that should count for something especially with a well-qualified kid. I believe Clemson reaches out to few especially out of State, because they can be so selective.

What goes on inside that place is pretty amazing.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:18 PM [ in reply to My oldest doesn't have much interest ]

Its amazing that it turns out the education that it does. I mean I love the place, but the administration is a complete mess. What you are saying isn't surprising at all; they probably have no idea about any of your legacy in regards to alumni status.

Clemson does a terrible job, IMO with alumni engagement

Sep 10, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to My oldest doesn't have much interest ]

and with recruitment. lil'APM was a stud in high school. All he may have lacked was a varsity sport (although technically he lettered 4 years in academic team). Places like the University of Chicago, the lesser Ivies, and all of the Virginia schools came after him hard. Clemson? Not a peep. We toured before a football game but they made no effort to engage and follow up.

Very disappointing.

And they hit me up occasionally for money, but it seems to all center on the football.

All my other alma maters do a much better job in this regard.

They do great with reaching out to get money

Sep 10, 2020, 3:33 PM

But I see they are looking for a new director of Alumni relations, so maybe they figured something out.

They know it is bad, but they have known that for a long

Sep 10, 2020, 3:37 PM

time.

That’s the other problem...we want to be a big time school

Sep 10, 2020, 7:48 PM [ in reply to They do great with reaching out to get money ]

But it’s the same old good old boy gomer frat boys in the alumni office who would suck anybody off to get in stuff like Tiger Brotherhood back in the day, and based on the cush jobs it got them, I now see why. . There are a couple from my era in the alumni office that I knew back in school and they were toolboxes then, with one of them being a poster child for the me too movement.

They don’t know things like networking and engagement because their lives have consisted of cliques.

Ol' Mauldawg is surprised you didn't make him play a sport

Sep 10, 2020, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Clemson does a terrible job, IMO with alumni engagement ]

Not even XC ? Come on ATL PAW MAN®. Alll five of mine played a varsity sport. The youngest is on the XC team in seventh grade.

He went out for soccer in 9th grade.

Sep 10, 2020, 5:04 PM

Didn't make it. Then between academic team (4-year letterman, state champions in 10th & 11th grade), academics, getting IT certified at the tech school, then working at a computer store in 11th and 12th grade, AND all AP classes, AND earning his Eagle Scout, my lil' homie had enough on his plate.

He did always say he wished he'd played soccer and tried out again, but realistically, if you ain't on a travel team by the time you hit 9th grade, you ain't got a chance. Also, our high school is big into hoops and by his senior year he liked basketball better than soccer, but again, there was no way he was making the team, which was co-state champs (championship game cancelled due to COVID) his senior year.

Anyhoo, lil'APM is plenty athletic and will play some intramurals at Elon once they allow it.

Didn't you live in Europe ?

Sep 10, 2020, 11:40 PM

And you didn't have him in club soccer ?

There's another Lunger who doesn't think you need club soccer to play in high school.

I have lived for extended times in BG, but lil'APM did not.

Sep 11, 2020, 9:33 AM

That said, the best players in our area are either Bosnian (good at soccer and basketball) or African. Our neighborhood Bosnian kid was a star on both shooty hoops and futbol. Pretty cool kid too.

Anyhoo, lil'APM made his choices, turned out fine.

Both of mines went to CoC. First one started out in Bridge

Sep 10, 2020, 3:14 PM

program at Clemson then transferred after one semester. Pizzed me off and broke my heart. I got over it and she did great in Chucktown. Little sister followed. Wife and I got to enjoy a lot of visits to that fine city over those years. Oldest is still a crazy tiger football fan, so I guess I did something right.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

My older daughter graduated from Clemson, Summa ### Laude.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:42 PM

(I graduated Thank da Laude). She is now an engineer for the city of Mt. Pleasant.

I think the younger one, now a jr. at Daniel would like to go to Clemson, but also has CoC and App in her sights. Just hope she plans to stay in-state.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

BTW - Sad the mods block a helllluv an achievement with a

Sep 10, 2020, 3:43 PM

filter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Neither one of mine.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:57 PM

16yr old getting 'cruited by smaht schools and music conservatories, wants to be a doc, musician, or both. He's looking for a place to dual degree.

13yr old, who knows? His current likes are anything on a beach or water, lacrosse, trail ridin', and flirting with the 15 yr old girl up the street. Good lookin' kid, makes all A's, but doesn't test well, so.......maybe he'll grow up to be, oh I don't know, Mathew McConnaughy if we're lucky?

I think South Alabama...

Sep 10, 2020, 4:01 PM

is a pretty good music school, regionally.

But then LSU, FSU, and Auburn are very skrong of course.

I think he's gonna end up flying far away,

Sep 10, 2020, 4:23 PM

he's an orchestra guy. Lot of options in Boston for him, Johns Hopkins/Peabody in Baltimore, Curtis in Philly, or Oberlin which is kinda bumfugg OH but a cool place. He likes Vandy cuz Mrs Old Slac went there and it would fit the bill if he's leaning more heavily doc than musician.

Belmont has one of the best music majors in the country.

Sep 10, 2020, 7:56 PM

Then he could walk a half mile post grad and go to med school at Vandy.

I think you and I both know the way to further his music

Sep 10, 2020, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Neither one of mine. ]

education is to drop out of school, and pile into a van with 3 or 4 musician pals and criss-cross the US on a tour of dive bars. It's the ONLY way, really. As long as they can knock Free Bird out of the park, they should be OK.

And I would think that saving his bandmates

Sep 10, 2020, 4:35 PM

from OD'ing could work towards his medical degree. Win Win!

No, they are probably not, and that’s ok

Sep 10, 2020, 4:20 PM

But if that’s where they want their GI Bill money to go, I’m fine with that too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate to correct you, but...

Sep 10, 2020, 4:28 PM

it's GI Joe, not Bill. And those probably aren't anywhere near as valuable as Barbie and Ken dolls on the open market, so you've already handicapped them.

I have to admit - I has the sad. My oldest son was raised on

Sep 10, 2020, 4:35 PM

Clemson. I had no doubt that's where he would go. He got accepted, but decided to go where his friends were going.

He saved me a bunch of money (out-of-state tuition), but I had saved for 18 years so he could go to Clemson.

Mine will go to an in-state school wherever we live at that time.

Sep 10, 2020, 10:14 PM

Unless there are scholarships or something or a rich person dies. We’ll start applying for scholarships early junior year.

If it were today, they’d go to aTm or UTSA.

just know that as of today, the old in-state/out-of-state,

Sep 11, 2020, 10:41 AM

state school/private school distinction doesn't mean much. ALL schools are way overpriced and if your kid is what a school wants, they will show him/her the money. Less so with public schools than private, but still, don't let location be too much of a factor. Elon in North Carolina turned out to be as cheap or cheaper than UVA and W&M here in VA.

This will likely change due to COVID and the students and parents revolting against paying so much for online classes.

If the Dems win in November it will almost definitely change.

The two schools I mentioned are very reasonable.

Sep 12, 2020, 5:58 AM

And I should have said in-state public school unless scholarships. I don’t buy that it doesn’t hold much bearing anymore. In your specific case it didn’t, but in general it does.

The problem with cost is government student loans. They cost so much because they can. Neither party is able to pull their heads out of their ##### long enough to figure that out. They think they’re helping. And the dems wanting to forgive student loans is ridiculous. I’m sure they have a way to make up for it plus some. More government “help” is not going to fix it. Them getting out of it and not distorting the market would be a great start. People need to be smarter about it, as well. Nothing wrong with community college for two years to start.

must be that Texas oil money...***

Sep 12, 2020, 8:07 AM

My kid is 7

Sep 10, 2020, 10:39 PM

He’s not going to Clemson, because we live out of state.

Eleven years before graduation, and because Clemson tuition is on par with Cambridge and Oxford, my alma mater will be out out of reach.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I batted .333 on the kids picking Clemson

Sep 12, 2020, 8:25 AM

MLB would take that average all day. Part of her scholarship was they waived the out of state tuition. So, we got a break there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 93
| visibility 1,071
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic