Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have spoken to a Judge my family knows well
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

I have spoken to a Judge my family knows well

Apr 20, 2014, 9:42 AM

And he said that the only basis of FFRF for suing or having any lawful complaint would be if Dabo ONLY recruits Christian Athletes which would be discrimination considering it isn't a Christian University.

It's public. He said it would be Fraternization. Are fraternities illegal? I think not. I was an ATO at Lander university for 3 years and the chaplain. However, if we had a Mormon or Jehovas Witness I wouldn't have known how to approach them with help. Dabo could clear all this up and hire an intern for each religion to accommodate the needs of specific students with differences in belief. IMO

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have spoken to a Judge my family knows well

Apr 20, 2014, 9:47 AM

Excuse my ignorance ...but what is an ATO ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Alpha Tau Omega

Apr 20, 2014, 9:51 AM

Based on Christian principles. I was the Chaplain for the organization for 3 years at Lander University in Greenwood. Guys would come to me with personal issues and I would help the best I could with my experience and knowledge of God's Word.

All Terrain Orface?

Apr 20, 2014, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: I have spoken to a Judge my family knows well ]

It what you get after being introduced to the jounge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll need...

Apr 20, 2014, 9:50 AM

one of the bored atheist volunteer to help the kids believe in nothing or are we going to neglect the empty minds?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We'll need...

Apr 20, 2014, 9:51 AM

Not empty minds ...empty souls.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 20, 2014, 9:54 AM

I see. I googled it and the list was long. There are about 50 things on Dictionary.com that fall under ATO . Glad to have that cleared up.

DB23

Apr 20, 2014, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Re: We'll need... ]

The presence of God is evident to all they just refuse to acknowledge Him.

Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 AM

My favorite ATO - All Things Organic .
I am gonna stencil those letters onto my composting bin .

Go ahead curious compost bin observer...ask .

DB23

yes alot

Apr 20, 2014, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Re: We'll need... ]

of atheists, if not all, actually despise the thought of a God letting them or this world suffer. Well, suffering can be used to set you up to be better prepared to handle a situation in the future and to feel closer to God/Jesus/Holy Spirit because he can relate to our suffering.

the "empty minds" will

Apr 20, 2014, 9:53 AM [ in reply to We'll need... ]

see by example and have to choose for themselves. This is what the pilgrims came here to escape people like the FFRF. and now look where we are. it's sad. but theres always hope

Apr 20, 2014, 10:01 AM [ in reply to We'll need... ]

we have an atheist hof baseball coach to do that and level the field in that regard.

is Jack Legget

Apr 20, 2014, 10:03 AM

a self-proclaimed atheist? I have never heard of this

Re: is Jack Legget

Apr 20, 2014, 10:06 AM

have heard he was or at least not a believer.

Re: It appears that we #### our coaches no matter which

Apr 20, 2014, 11:00 AM

way that go.

Apr 20, 2014, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: We'll need... ]

I wasn't aware that Leggett is atheist. That does not change my opinion of him , just was not aware of that is all.

DB23

Yes he is***

Apr 20, 2014, 10:50 AM

Apr 20, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to We'll need... ]

Empty minds??? Little prejudice in that statement. An Atheist has the same rights as anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FFRF is clear in their request. Not sure they'd settle.

Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 AM

They want the chaplain removed and coaches to cease any religious activity except on their own time. How generous....

Regardless of whether Christianity dominates the program, for this to become active legally I would think they would have to produce someone who will say they didn't take a Clemson offer because they were some other religion, or the like. Or that once in the program they felt intimidated to participate, etc. Because they started this effort without a single person on board, but make claims they could produce such if needed doesn't seem credible to me.

It will be interesting to see if the school's counsel suggests providing non-Christian spiritual and moral guidance as a remedy. It seems like common sense. You would think it is already available on campus for the general population, wouldn't you?

I hope they hold their breath...

Apr 20, 2014, 10:55 AM

until one of our kids (Clemson student/athlete) complains about our program.

I have a hard time believing a judge would talk

Apr 20, 2014, 10:21 AM

in such absolutes. More likely he probably stated most likely that would be the outcomes.

There are never any absolutes when it comes to the law.

The Supreme Court once created a precedent of separate but equal. It took nearly 80 years but eventually the courts reversed that wrong decision.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

And one day Roe vs Wade and separation of church and state

Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 AM

Will be reversed as well

Re: And one day Roe vs Wade and separation of church and state

Apr 20, 2014, 10:57 AM

Abortion isn't as popular with the youth as it was with my generation but I'm doubting RvsW will be overturned in my life time.

Separation of church and state reversed? I think that would

Apr 20, 2014, 11:53 AM [ in reply to And one day Roe vs Wade and separation of church and state ]

require scrapping the entire constitution, or at least an amendment, neither of which will happen. I am a Christian, so don't jump on me, but separation of church and state is kind of a "main idea" in the constitution. Roe vs Wade may someday be overturned (highly doubtful), but the broad concept of separation of church and state, not going to happen.

you keep forgetting what state

Apr 20, 2014, 10:57 AM [ in reply to I have a hard time believing a judge would talk ]

we inhabit. SOUTH CAROLINA. they picked the wrong state to attack. we've always been the most stubborn state and will continue to be. when it comes to religion the Freedom From Religion Foundation or the Federal Government might as well go up to NC to try that. they've become more liberal as the years go by.

Re: you keep forgetting what state

Apr 20, 2014, 10:59 AM

If this goes to court the state courts will be the first step but I'd imagine their case will be prepared for the Supreme Court at the same time it's delivered to the state.

You assume that courts are infallible.

Apr 20, 2014, 11:04 AM [ in reply to I have a hard time believing a judge would talk ]

That's not true.

Separate? The body of believers is the church. "Of the people, by the people and for the people," is interesting. Do these sets not intersect?

Does common sense elude you?

It is hard to believe so many coots lurk here.

Apr 20, 2014, 6:49 PM [ in reply to I have a hard time believing a judge would talk ]

And yet so many support Dabo in his pursuit of religious freedom.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 AM

I thought ATO was a frat (Alpha Tau Omega).

Anyway - it's Jehovah - not Jehova - for the OP.

I volunteer to be the Rastafari chaplain***

Apr 20, 2014, 12:10 PM

Question are Mormon or Jehovas Witness not Christians?***

Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM

Re: Question are Mormon or Jehovas Witness not Christians?***

Apr 20, 2014, 1:54 PM

NO

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what do they believe in? Are Catholics Christians***

Apr 20, 2014, 4:35 PM

They both believe Jesus is the savior

Apr 20, 2014, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Question are Mormon or Jehovas Witness not Christians?*** ]

Sounds Christian to me

Apr 20, 2014, 1:53 PM

The FFRF can kiss my ###. I am offended by them so I think I will sue them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2014, 2:15 PM

Re: "Dabo could clear all this up and hire an intern for each religion to accommodate the needs of specific students with differences in belief."

One of the points that FFRF makes is that majority religions will always get more attn than the less popular ones. So removing religion all together would be more efficient than risking hiring interns for 10+ other religions.

All activities related to religion/chaplaincy are supposed to be voluntary so I don't see the big deal. If they want to investigate to make sure that it is truly voluntary, great. I get that. But I just imagine they're a bunch of bored crapstarters without a complainant from the team.

If the HC was another religion, Islamic for example, I'd feel the same way: as long as athletes/coaches had the choice of attending/participating, no rights are being violated.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic