Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have read that there is controversy about voting rights
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 488

I have read that there is controversy about voting rights

Apr 24, 2019, 2:38 PM

For felons. I've never really thought about it before.

Do you think the disallowance for felons to vote is punitive, or is designed to eliminate "bad people" voting?

If the latter, I'm not sure that is a good thing to do. If it's the former, that's more understandable, I think.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is voting supposed to be a Constitutional, inalienable

Apr 24, 2019, 2:44 PM

right? I don't remember any verbiage in the Constitution about how or why a citizen might lose that right. I think Bernie's point is that a convicted felon, or an incarcerated individual, has paid or is paying for their crime. Why are they losing this right, especially AFTER they've paid for their crime? Of course, it becomes a derp issue on social media with all the "MURDERERS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO VOTE, THE PEOPLE THEY KILLED CAN'T VOTE". But there's such a broad range of felonious crimes, that we really should be asking why we're taking that right away. Why not other rights, too? Why don't we take away freedom of speech for convicted felons?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's an interesting thing to debate.

Apr 24, 2019, 2:46 PM

If it is punitive, then it's no different from depriving them of their inalienable right to, well, liberty. Which is what we do by putting them in prison.

But is the imprisonment enough of a punishment? Does denying the right to vote need to be part of it?

I think it's an interesting question. Certainly nothing to get all bothered about, as if the suggestion is horrifying. I've read that the reactions of some people to the Senator's comments are like that.

Always ends up this way. Declaration of Independence once

Apr 24, 2019, 2:56 PM

again confused with/mingled with the Constitution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nothing more constitutional than owning a gun

Apr 24, 2019, 2:59 PM

yet, they lose those rights.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If nothing is more constitutional than owning a gun...

Apr 24, 2019, 4:22 PM

why did they make it the SECOND amendment?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the record, I'm not trying to make any kind of

Apr 24, 2019, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Always ends up this way. Declaration of Independence once ]

argument about Constitutionality, and I'm not really thinking in those terms.

I assume denying the right to vote this way is deemed Constitutional, as it's apparently passed muster of the courts for a really long time.

the intention doesn't matter

Apr 24, 2019, 2:58 PM [ in reply to I think it's an interesting thing to debate. ]

you either think its good or bad. correct or incorrect.

you'll never know anyones intention. Just take the facts in front of you and decide.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and if you are really stuck on intentions, ask yoursefl

Apr 24, 2019, 3:02 PM

why are dems trying to get this overturned?

more LOLLLOLLLLERSSSSS!

I just think it's an interesting topic.

Apr 24, 2019, 3:05 PM

I don't know what I think about it, at least not yet. I also don't care what party wants what.

Overturned? I thought it was the other

Apr 24, 2019, 4:52 PM [ in reply to and if you are really stuck on intentions, ask yoursefl ]

way around since they can vote in 35 States now after they get out of prison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay saw where Bernie supports

Apr 24, 2019, 4:56 PM [ in reply to and if you are really stuck on intentions, ask yoursefl ]

them being able to vote while in prison. Idiot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

at least they are barraged with the 24 hour

Apr 24, 2019, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Is voting supposed to be a Constitutional, inalienable ]

campaign cycle for 18 months.

maybe they are winning?

I think you're mixing voting while being a prisoner and...

Apr 24, 2019, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Is voting supposed to be a Constitutional, inalienable ]

voting post prison. It seems to me that the freedom to move about at will is denied. Is that a constitutional violation?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so why do they lose the right to own a gun?

Apr 24, 2019, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Is voting supposed to be a Constitutional, inalienable ]

lolollololollllllerers

Now we have a valid point.

Apr 24, 2019, 2:59 PM

Finally... something IN the Constitution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bingo! blind dog finds a bone every once in blue moon***

Apr 24, 2019, 3:01 PM

This one should be pretty obvious for violent felons.

Apr 24, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to so why do they lose the right to own a gun? ]

What about an embezzler?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or pot smoker***

Apr 24, 2019, 3:03 PM

So, do you think losing the right to own a gun is

Apr 24, 2019, 3:10 PM [ in reply to This one should be pretty obvious for violent felons. ]

punitive, or to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them?

I think the logic is in the latter,

Apr 24, 2019, 3:39 PM

but the person losing the right would also view it as punitive.

The Constitution doesn't guarantee a right to vote...

Apr 24, 2019, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Is voting supposed to be a Constitutional, inalienable ]

for HOR and Senate seats, it's up to the State to set the rules for voting...the same thing for Presidential electors.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Constitution doesn't guarantee a right to vote...

Apr 24, 2019, 8:29 PM

It's frightening that seemingly intelligent people think that we don't have a right if it's not in the Constitution.

We almost didn't have a Bill of Rights at all because the country's leaders at the time were worried that people would one day say just what you said.

Re: The Constitution doesn't guarantee a right to vote...

Apr 24, 2019, 8:36 PM

My apologies. I reread what you said and if read it wrong. However, the 14th amendment's equal rights protections have basically eliminated the chance a state could prevent any class of voters from being excluded from voting in House and Senate elections.

State can have state house(s) appoint Senators....

Apr 24, 2019, 10:39 PM

As an example, The states don't have to have direct elections.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2nd ammendment says

Apr 24, 2019, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Is voting supposed to be a Constitutional, inalienable ]

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed
but we have made a choice to do some infringing
same with voting

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Inalienable? No

Apr 24, 2019, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Is voting supposed to be a Constitutional, inalienable ]

Not sure where that idea came from. It used to be that people thought of the franchise as a privilege only for those who had the most involvement in public affairs, and who thus had the most skin in the game. We now have universal voting rights, but that doesn't mean those rights can't be taken away.

Is it a good idea to take away voting rights for felons? As you said, you could easily question whether it's a good idea based on having too many things classified as felonies. But if we bracket how legitimate that classification is, I think it makes sense.

Felonies are supposed to be crimes serious enough to, in the past, take away somebody's property, and presently, to be punishable by death or imprisonment for a year. Somebody who commits a felony, then, already forfeits a significant amount of life and freedom; very few people think felons shouldn't have some rights at least temporarily taken away. But should they also be shunned by being removed from the community of people who can choose who governs them? I think they should be, in part because their crime is evidence of their disrespect for the laws made by the government they'd potentially elect. Their actions make them unfit to choose a government for the polity.

I think we should probably consider some kind of eventual amnesty for (some) felons with regard to voting, though. If they've got a spotless record after 15 years or something, maybe then they can vote again. Having people in prison vote seems kind of insane to me, especially for people who've committed heinous crimes.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imo, it's a slippery slope to allow prisoners to vote.

Apr 24, 2019, 2:51 PM

I think their punishment should end when they've been released. They've 'paid their debt to society,' as order by our judicial system and their punishment should end when their time is up.

The complications arising from prisoners voting is that justice is legally denying their right to 'vote with their feet,' which is described as moving to another state if you don't like the laws and governance of the state you're in. They forfeit their freedom to move state to state why would anyone extend the right to a ballot vote to them.

Maybe that's not the right way to look at it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The content of your post doesn't seem to jive with

Apr 24, 2019, 3:24 PM

the topic of your post. I didn't really get from your post how it is that it's a "slippery slope". What do you think allowing felons to vote would lead to, on that "slippery slope"?

If incarcerated felons can vote with a ballot...

Apr 24, 2019, 4:04 PM

why can't they have the right to move to another states' prison, one which particularly has different laws? I understand it's a stretch but millions throughout our history have chosen to vote with their feet and move to a state which has laws and methods of governance which more suits their ideology. It's an unquestioned constitutional right to move to another state.

OK, gotcha***

Apr 24, 2019, 5:33 PM

incarcerated persons give the warden many many votes

Apr 24, 2019, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Imo, it's a slippery slope to allow prisoners to vote. ]

one person in power can and will influence the voting habits of those under their thumb.

its the Democrat way.

Is that like churches and pastors influencing votes?

Apr 24, 2019, 4:20 PM

Which team do you reckon those congregations are voting for?

to a degree yes, but wouldnt you agree that wardens have a

Apr 24, 2019, 4:30 PM

bit more power over inmates? offering or withholding basic living essentials, rewarding certain behaviors (voting trends) and punishing others.

As another poster stated, inmates cannot vote with their feet. Parishoners can find another church that better aligns with their beliefs.

And to be clear, BOTH sides use churches. The black vote is whipped into line in church.

Um, no***

Apr 24, 2019, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Is that like churches and pastors influencing votes? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't they also basically vote themselves out of jail?***

Apr 24, 2019, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Imo, it's a slippery slope to allow prisoners to vote. ]

They don't lose it for life....

Apr 24, 2019, 4:06 PM

They committed a felony. Part of your punishment is losing the right to vote. Once you're out and/or completed your parole, you can vote. Your debt is paid and your rights are restored.

Don't like it? Don't commit a ####### felony. It's not like you didn't have a choice.

Re: They don't lose it for life....

Apr 24, 2019, 4:58 PM

That isn't the case in all states. Florida is a great example (although the voters pushed through a resolution to change this last election). People were not allowed to vote once their prison term was over unless they asked a board that got together a couple times a year that routinely said no.

I agree though, once someone is done their time there is no reason all their rights shouldn’t be restored.

The right to vote is forfeited when you go to jail.

Apr 25, 2019, 5:52 PM

So is the right to own and posses a gun. It's also a constitutional right which can't be revoked or is that a different constitution? Should we issue pistols or long guns to prisoners, Bernie?

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Replies: 38
| visibility 488
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic