Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we looking at the end of minor league baseball as we have known it for years.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Are we looking at the end of minor league baseball as we have known it for years.

May 17, 2020, 3:56 PM

Cutting the number of rounds in the major league draft from 40 to as few as 5 rounds indicates to me that the MLB is going to use college program’s as their minor league system.
This one decision will have many negative influences on baseball over all.

Many towns that depend on a minor league baseball for economic resources will lose that influx of money. Jobs will be lost and some smaller towns may not survive the negative economic impact. IMO some great talent will slip through the cracks. I know some great players who were picked in the late rounds between then 35th to 40th round who may never get a chance to show case their talent if their is no minor team to play for. Not all of these players will find a spot on a college team. With so many extra players that will now be available for college baseball brings many questions.

Will their be enough spots for those extra players, can those players afford the cost of college if they are not drafted a or given a decent scholarship. There just are not enough scholarships available. Will these college players get the same hands on coaching that they would get in minor league baseball. What about the kids who fail to qualify for college.

This decision may be great for college baseball coaches and MLB, but I see it as an overall negative decision for the sport, many towns and many players and baseball fans. Now MLB teams can put that extra money in their pockets rather than spending it developing talent.

IMO I see this as bad for baseball’s future. I see less kids from the United States getting an opportunity to play at the highest levels. Instead I see more players from other countries taking those spots mainly because it may cost teams less money to develop talent.

Has the money train finally started coming off the tracks. Have the high salaries and perks hit their peak?? Is this true for all other Major League sports??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's for this year only. Did I miss something?***

May 17, 2020, 4:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's for this year only. Did I miss something?***

May 17, 2020, 4:36 PM

I was under the impression that MLB was cutting the number of rounds they draft players was going to be permanent.

I know last years players will not lose that year. But I am talking about the increase in available players if MLB cuts the number of rounds they draft players. If the cut the number of rounds buy 20 to 30 rounds that’s a lot of players who may not be available for minor league baseball teams. If so will MLB continue to help fund minor leave teams. For example the Gwenett Braves and other Braves minor league teams. Will the Charleston River Dogs, The Myrtle Beach Pelican and the Greenville Drive be able to survive??

My question is are the MLB teams putting more of their selection of players from college teams.

Greg Maddux , Tom Glavine, Steve Avery and John Smoltz were all drafted out of HS. Will this practice continue??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's for this year only. Did I miss something?***

May 17, 2020, 9:04 PM

Not the 1st time it's happened . I remember when so many small towns had a class D team

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we looking at the end of minor league baseball as we have known it for years.

May 17, 2020, 4:35 PM

They have been looking at ways to cut back for years. 6 divisions is crazy. Cut backs are needed and they can focus revenue on 3-4 thriving teams instead of keeping others alive.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Are we looking at the end of minor league baseball as we have known it for years.

May 17, 2020, 4:39 PM

I agree but are they going to eliminate any of the major league teams?? It does not sound like it. It seems like that the minor league teams will be more affected than at the MLB level.

May 19, 2020, 1:20 PM

I guess I should have said Leagues not divisions. I was talking about the 6 minor league tiers of baseball that MLB currently supports. Way too many teams, players, and stadiums to support guys that will never contribute at the Major league level.

AAA
AA
A-advanced
A
Short Season
Rookie

null

May 17, 2020, 5:04 PM

No chance. They need minor league baseball.

May 17, 2020, 5:05 PM

It’s only for 2020.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-agrees-to-reduce-2020-draft-to-five-rounds-with-unlimited-undrafted-signings-for-20k-reports-say/amp/

“Due to the coronavirus shutdown and then opening the eventual season -- and likely playing for a while -- in front of no fans, they are set to lose out on a significant stream of revenue here in 2020, so they wanted to find ways to cut costs.”

May 17, 2020, 6:17 PM

College baseball should have 25 scholarships I my opinion. There is no way to compete at the highest level with the lykes of Vandy with all that endowment $.

Five rounds of the draft is ridiculous. Now we will have guys that would have been drafted in the 10th round coming back instead of picking up $100-$125k. Most of these guys will have a ton of student debt as well. These guys families have spent a ton of $ over the years because the sport is very expensive to play too. $20k free agent money is a joke! It will be very interesting to see what happens with next years draft but I can’t imagine that they go 40 rounds. Hopefully this a very short term cost cutting for MLB that lasts 1 year ????

25 scholarships for a college sport that loses money?!?

May 18, 2020, 12:18 AM

No thank you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 17, 2020, 9:12 PM

Hard to believe Anderson S.C. was once home to the Braves and I believe Mets farm teams at different times. That field in Anderson is massive if it's still the same dimensions as it once was. Seemed to be about 420 to center.

May 19, 2020, 10:57 AM

Spartanburg had the Phillies minor league team for years they left in the early 90’s and then Greenville lost a cash cow when the Greenville Braves move to Mississippi then from Mississippi to Gwenett County near Atlanta. Greenville used to have the White Sox minor league A team in the 60’s. Now we have the Greenville Drive a Red Sox A team.

The Greenville Braves stadium my have been torn down . Not quite sure. It was a really nice stadium.

It was great when the Greenville Braves where here. I was able to see Glavine, Smoltz, some of the relivers, Jeff Blauser, Mark Leemke David Justice, Ron Gant, Javey Lopez and Chipper Jones play. And idk if any of you remember Zane Smith from the late 80’s.

Then you were able to see some of the MLB players when they came to Greenville for rehab. The company where my mom worked had 4 box seats right behind the Braves dugout. I got free tickets all of the time.

Those were great times. Will the MLB escalating salaries cause them to cut back so many minor league teams. Especially since Minor players salaries doubled a few years back. Plus a lot of people lost their jobs. Mark Houser the announcer for the the GB’s and Wofford Terriers took a hit when the GB’s left.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

I have no idea, but were the G-Braves really a cash cow? The

May 19, 2020, 12:02 PM

thing I remember was that you could always get free tickets. Emails would go around work with people asking if anybody wanted tickets, or they'd just leave em in the break room for whoever wanted em. I kinda got the impression that "you couldn't give em away". But I guess somebody paid for them originally. Again, I don't know. I didn't go often, maybe a couple times a year, but I don't think I ever actually BOUGHT a ticket.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

May 19, 2020, 12:25 PM

If other schools follow Furman's lead, you have your answer: NO. College teams will not be the new incubator for the major leagues.

A month ago, colleges had been projecting an overall drop in enrollment of 15%, with 4-year colleges taking a large hit and 2-year schools reaping some of the shortage. Now those numbers are projected to be even worse. Fully 16% of American college students are planning a gap year. International students (who pay the highest rates of tuition) are not coming. Endowments have lost tremendous amou nt of value.

After 18 4-year colleges closed last year, even more are expected to do so this year. Many schools aren't worried about playing baseball. They're trying to survive.

Baseball might need a new incubator.

May 19, 2020, 12:25 PM

If other schools follow Furman's lead, you have your answer: NO. College teams will not be the new incubator for the major leagues.

A month ago, colleges had been projecting an overall drop in enrollment of 15%, with 4-year colleges taking a large hit and 2-year schools reaping some of the shortage. Now those numbers are projected to be even worse. Fully 16% of American college students are planning a gap year. International students (who pay the highest rates of tuition) are not coming. Endowments have lost tremendous amou nt of value.

After 18 4-year colleges closed last year, even more are expected to do so this year. Many schools aren't worried about playing baseball. They're trying to survive.

Baseball might need a new incubator.

May 19, 2020, 2:29 PM

I am curious as to where you found this information. Please understand I do not doubt your word. It’s sad the direction baseball as well as other sports are headed. Coaches and players make so much money that it is impossible for fans who attended numerous games in the 80’s and 90’s, to be able to attend maybe 1 or 2 games a year because of the increased financial cost.

With what lies ahead for our future will it be even worse. MLB teams are making millions of TV money. But to give a player a 10 year $300 Million dollar contract is just insane. No player is worth that kind of money.

I am wondering if the bottom is starting to open up taking the $$$$$ with it. It is possible we may be headed for difficult times that will affect all of us???

Maybe MLB’s decisions are just the beginning of the collapse in the ###.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic