Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have changed my mind. Give Brad another year for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,104

I have changed my mind. Give Brad another year for

Feb 18, 2020, 11:28 AM

several reasons. Perhaps the most obvious reason is I don’t know of a suitable replacement. Plus he has a pretty good recruiting class coming in and he’s not getting worse he’s just barely getting better.
A lot of strategy he uses makes me no sense to me and I don’t understand his clock management or lack thereof but he’s probably not going to get worse and if we indeed finish fifth or sixth in the conference I’m not satisfied or happy about it but surely sooner or later he’s bound to put the right chemistry on the court and manage a great season when we actually make the 64 team NCAA tournament!!
So stick around Brad but for heavens sake get better and work your tail off and show us you can make real postseason ( not including the NIT)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't worry.

Feb 18, 2020, 11:31 AM

He'll have another year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have changed my mind. Give Brad another year for

Feb 18, 2020, 11:39 AM

The best reason to keep Brownell around is that we actually have underclassmen on the court this season who are not completely over-matched and lost.

Typically Brownell's players take until their junior or senior season to contribute and then they are gone and he is starting over.

This year we have some freshman and sophomores contributing to wins to help the upperclassmen.

Re: I have changed my mind. Give Brad another year for

Feb 18, 2020, 11:45 AM

Let's see how he does in the NCAA tournament.

I would love to hear the thoughts of a big CBB

Feb 18, 2020, 11:48 AM

supporter on Brad's strategy. Maybe some Xs and Os insight on the man sets Brad runs against different types of defenses. If Judge Keller® could provide his analysis on this I think it would make people a lot more sympathetic and understanding to what Brad is doing. Judge is obviously very passionate about the job Brad is doing and follows the program closely. Some specific things I'd love for him to provide his thoughts and analysis on:

-Various types of man sets that Brad uses
-How those sets have changed over the course of this season due to injuries and development of younger players
-Specifically, what he thinks Brad has changed and implemented now that Hemenway has come on strong lately (I loved Brad's screens for Hemenway against Louisville and I thought it was probably the most creative I have ever seen him get)
-In Judge's opinion, what was different about Wake's matchup zone from game 1 to game 2, and why does that lend itself to Brad sticking with a 4 out 1 in approach with Simms rotating to that "in" spot in the low post
-What kind of defense can we expect from BC and how does Judge think we will attack it

Come on Judge, educate us!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I would love to hear the thoughts of a big CBB

Feb 18, 2020, 12:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSJQ4LOwwA4

Here is one of his "sets" against a man-to-man defense.

In general, though, our man-to-man offense utilizes a lot of motion concepts (typical of someone who grew up learning basketball in Indiana). Vital for our offensive success is player movement, floor spacing, passing and cutting, and screening. You'll hear Brad quite-frequently yell "move it" from the sidelines...this is to prompt ball movement, which is necessary in the motion offense to produce player movement (i.e. more opportunities for screens, cuts, etc.). Unlike set plays, shots aren't designated to come from any particular primary spot. Instead, it becomes the players' responsibilities to read the defense to determine the best option on that particular trip down the floor. Very rarely in a motion offense does a pass not prompt at least one screen, if the team is active within the offense.

When Brad has players with specific skill sets, he will more frequently run specific sets designed to get them a shot on that trip down the floor. We've run a couple of sets for Hemenway lately, but I would be willing to say it hasn't been nearly as frequently as you'd think. The motion offense just has a tendency to beckon screens away from the ball, and good shooting guards know how to use those screens to get themselves open.

Boston College will likely run man-to-man defenses nearly the entire game. Jim Christian is historically a man-to-man coach. Brownell and Christian are good friends who share a lot of the same coaching philosophies. A lot of their stuff is similar in concept, with both having mid-west backgrounds.

Excellent response!

Feb 18, 2020, 12:34 PM

And yes, when I say "sets" I'm referring to the man sets/motion offense as opposed to set plays. I noticed against Louisville Brad used a down screen away from the pass to free Hemenway once, and then on a different possession he set up a double screen with Hemenway near the right elbow and the double screen was closer to the left elbow with Hemenway dropping down into the lane, popping up around the double screen and curling to the mid range jumper above the free throw line. He ultimately missed the shot but I was excited with the creativity.

I'll be curious to see if this evolves and possibly use Hemenway as a screener and then screen the screener to open him up more.

Interesting in the clip you linked how the 2 set a lazy screen for the 4 or else it would have been an easy bucket. Even then the 3 probably could have passed to the 4 but quickly went back to the 2. It set up a nice drive, bucket and foul.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,104
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic