Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why getting to the Orange Bowl (again) is a HUGE
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,386

Why getting to the Orange Bowl (again) is a HUGE

Dec 9, 2013, 10:36 AM

accomplishment for the program despite losing to the Coots again:

1) Obviously, $$$$$$$. Clemson pockets $17 million. (BTW, the Chick-Fil-A Bowl which some of the geniuses on here wanted to go to because "We're just gonna lose the OB" and "We don't deserve another bowl" pays out about $4 million.

2) Bowl practices: obviously we'd have bowl practices regardless of where the team went (which is, in and of itself a huge boon for developing young and RS players) but where would you rather spend your last few days practicing? ATL or So FL?

3) ESPN Pub Machine: despite the fact that there are no SEC teams playing, ESPN will be hyping this game for almost a month. That's good for exposure, that's great for recruiting. What game do you think gets advertised more--OB or Chick-Fil-A (or Capital One Bowl)?

4) Get to play one of the "big boys": sure everyone wanted a shot at Bama but we're going up against probably the second best coach in CFB and a team that's gone 24-1 over the last two years. Beating OSU would be huge for our program. I also think we match up better vs. OSU than Bama, especially WR vs. DB.

5) Redemption. Ask Reece Davis what happened last time we were in Miami. Shut everyone up by winning big this year.

Also, anyone saying we're only going because "the ACC is so weak" is a moron. A) Since the SEC bellwether is playing in the MNC, the ACC has checked that off this year. B) We've got TWO teams in a BCS Bowl for only the second time ever. And C) an NCAA-record 11 teams going to bowl games (not even the vaunted SEC has ever done that). Is the ACC the best conference? Probably not, but it's undeniably better than it ever was under TB (and Danny Ford) and is deeper than it's ever been. Winning 10 games (all by 10+ vs. ACC) is a huge deal still unless your head is up your ###.

End the season with a big BCS Bowl win over a top-10 OSU team and this season will have been a success.

GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't pocket $17M on this game

Dec 9, 2013, 10:48 AM

That's the payout for the game. The money goes to the conference with all the other bowl money. It is then distributed to the members schools.

Clemson gets a stipend from the conference. If they spend less than the stipend on the trip, they keep the difference as "profit." That's why the AD is pushing fans to but tickets through IPTAY. He doesn't want to eat the cost of the tickets he can't sell and then see thousands of Clemson fans in the stands who got their tickets directly from the bowl or on a place like Stub Hub.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson doesn't pocket $17M on this game

Dec 9, 2013, 10:54 AM

it seems like I heard on the last trip to OB that the ACC allowed the BCS teams to keep a little more of the money , as opposed to the pro rata split amongst conference members like the other bowls

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know we don't pocket all the money...

Dec 9, 2013, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Clemson doesn't pocket $17M on this game ]

but I thought there were some concessions made on how the money is distributed last summer??? Seems like the participating schools get to keep a little more money now than they did in past. I thought that was part of the deal to get Clemson and FSU to sign the GOR. maybe i misread that.

still, 2 teams from ACC in BCS still pays more than 1 team in BCS.

Right but the payout is still that much. We get

Dec 9, 2013, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Clemson doesn't pocket $17M on this game ]

our expenses comped and then all the payouts go into the ACC pool for an equal distribution.

I think that's dumb--I don't mind kicking it back to the conference but the payout should be pro rata based on where you finished in the league. It doesn't make sense for UVA to make the same as FSU.

I have always said "No bowl? no pay out!!!"***

Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM

By doing that you would establish a system where the rich

Dec 9, 2013, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Right but the payout is still that much. We get ]

get richer and the other schools just get left at the bottom. I know it seems more fair, and it might make for some good battles with like the top ~4 teams in the league, but those other schools wouldn't stick around and put up with that.

Orange Bowl

Dec 9, 2013, 10:48 AM

Clemson does not receive $17 million. As the second ACC team in the BCS the payout is $6million. Also, all
money is paid the the ACC to be divided among all 14
Conference members. Virginia, NC State, and WF will
receive as much money from the Orange Bowl as CLEMSON, more if we don't sell our allotment of tickets.

Yeah now I'm seeing that. But it's more money into

Dec 9, 2013, 11:10 AM

the till (more than $4 million)

Re: Orange Bowl

Dec 9, 2013, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Orange Bowl ]

The Orange Bowl pays out this year $18 million per team. The ACC divides that between all the schools in the conference.

What I think should happen is that any team who goes to a bowl and is affiliated with a conference, should be able to keep half of the payout, and the other half go to the conference for distribution among the other teams.

Re: Orange Bowl

Dec 9, 2013, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Orange Bowl ]

I don't think the Championship game counts as a regular BCS game. Therefore the OB might be full pay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree with almost everything, but sadly, we don't actually

Dec 9, 2013, 10:49 AM

make 17 million. All that money gets split through the conference, and even worse, because there's already one ACC team in a BCS game, the BCS money from the second isn't as large (I recall this from the last time, when VT went to the Sugar). It's still an excellent feather in the cap, but not as nice as if Clemson really were getting 17 mill to throw in the till from the game!

it's $18,000,000 this year

Dec 9, 2013, 11:09 AM

http://www.realclearsports.com/charts/projected_bowl_payouts_per_team-198.html

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,386
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic