Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have a job offer in Columbia that would be a great opportunity, but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

I have a job offer in Columbia that would be a great opportunity, but

Dec 2, 2015, 5:29 PM

I'll be living in that dump. I'm from there but said is never go back after going to Clemson. Any advice?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Don't go.

Dec 2, 2015, 5:32 PM

I'd rather be homeless in Clemson than to live and work down there.

It will probably only be for a year, I need this job to get the job I want.***

Dec 2, 2015, 5:34 PM

Re: It will probably only be for a year, I need this job to get the job I want.***

Dec 2, 2015, 5:37 PM

Stock up on antibiotics

Re: It will probably only be for a year, I need this job to get the job I want.***

Dec 2, 2015, 8:50 PM [ in reply to It will probably only be for a year, I need this job to get the job I want.*** ]

If you're only going to be there for a year, then coots will avoid you for another year. We're 2-0 in the past 2 years against those vermin. They'll hide when they see you coming. Take the job and walk proudly. :)

Lexington isn't bad.

Dec 2, 2015, 5:38 PM

Lots of Tigers there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

My sister-in-law is there so we spend a little time. I'm

Dec 2, 2015, 5:40 PM

not the Columbia sucks guy. I think Riverwalk is pretty awesome and there are a lot of family oriented things to do.
If its a good job opportunity, take it.
I spend half my time in Sacramento. I see places like Stockton, Modesto, etc that really are holes full of poverty and violence. Columbia is not one of those places.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

im 25 so the family thing isn't too important to me.

Dec 2, 2015, 5:45 PM

Focusing on getting where I want to be in my career. That's what makes me want to take it.

Re: im 25 so the family thing isn't too important to me.

Dec 2, 2015, 5:48 PM

Always proud to sport the Orange as I travel across the country but would love to be around Columbia in 2016. Take the job.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No worries. Say what you want about the rivalry, it is stil

Dec 2, 2015, 5:55 PM [ in reply to im 25 so the family thing isn't too important to me. ]

a town with lots of college students. That means you get some decent music coming through and a decent bar scene if that's what you are in to. 2 hours from clemson, charleston, and charlotte. Places/trails to bike.

Lastly, you seemed to have answered your own question. If its a good job opportunity and that is the focus, take it, get the experience, then get out to a better place down the road if you aren't happy there.

Congrats on the offer, best of luck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: im 25 so the family thing isn't too important to me.

Dec 2, 2015, 7:08 PM [ in reply to im 25 so the family thing isn't too important to me. ]

I live in NECola so take the job if it is what you want/need. Despite the coots, I even go to USC for research and am not bothered.

Go Tigers!

Re: My sister-in-law is there so we spend a little time. I'm

Dec 2, 2015, 8:36 PM [ in reply to My sister-in-law is there so we spend a little time. I'm ]

Most of the Riverwalk is still closed from flooding - and at the City of Columbia's rate of work, I will be surprised if it reopens before 2017. Columbia is no prize, but Lake Murray is nice. It is much cheaper than the holy city and less conservative than Greenville, so there is that. The heat and the government work ethic (biggest employer) are probably the worst things - and too many lawyers.

Compared to Atlanta it is heaven.

Re: I have a job offer in Columbia that would be a great opportunity, but

Dec 2, 2015, 5:42 PM

Lots of CU folksin Chapin area

Dec 2, 2015, 5:47 PM

Don't do it! Money ain't everything! Just kidding...do what your heart tells you, pray, decide with God's guidance what is best for you. Good luck and Go Tigers!

Set up in the Irmo-Ballentine-Chapin area if you can

Dec 2, 2015, 5:49 PM

Lexington would be a second option. If you can get on the NW side or over far enough into Lexington county it is not too bad. Then just commute in and deal with them at work.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Just think of all the fun you can have,giving the coots ####

Dec 2, 2015, 5:55 PM

while you are there. Just beware of the girls you date, you don't want to get too involved with a cootsie. But if you are just looking for some easy one night stands, it's hard to beat cootville.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

live in Lexington***

Dec 2, 2015, 6:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you've been offered a job coaching USuCk too?

Dec 2, 2015, 6:29 PM

Take the job if you want it, I don't. They are ok with 0-21 and how much worse could you do?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We moved here in 95 after saying never.

Dec 2, 2015, 6:34 PM

It's not Charleston or Clemson, but at least we're about 2 hours from each, plus 1.5 to Charlotte. Traffic is decent, schools are great. It's not what it used to be. Home for now - got one who's a junior in high school. Probably looking to have a small place near Clemson and a small place near Charleston, but the past 20 yrs has been great.

WL

Chapin isn't a bad commute.

Dec 2, 2015, 6:37 PM

Neither would be the Prosperity side of Lake Murray. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to advance your career. Pay your dues in Columbia and hold your nose.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Dec 2, 2015, 6:43 PM

Lake Murray area and Dentsville/NE is ok. Still hotter than Sudan in summer

Dec 2, 2015, 6:44 PM

It's not that bad here. I moved to Candem from Clemson in August for my company. People are good folks and a lot of Tiger fans here! Best of luck!

I would just commute

Dec 2, 2015, 6:47 PM

You have to do what you have to do career wise.

Dec 2, 2015, 6:52 PM

If you're worried about the usuc fans they will be hiding and real quiet for the next year, Deshaun and co. took care of that problem. You should be good to go the next several years at least. If you feel it's a good career opportunity then take it, especially if it's for only a year. A year will fly by in a heartbeat. Just have some kids and a year will feel like week.

according to where your office would be, you can adjust

Dec 2, 2015, 6:54 PM

I've worked in Columbia before. I chose to buy a farm out in the Swansea/Gaston area (Lex County). It was nice out there and I didn't have to fool with the inner city Chickens and crime. If you can avail yourself of I-77 to commute, traffic is not bad there.

Problem with living in Lexington and working downtown Cola is the freaking SUN. It's murder to drive against it in the AM AND PM. Irmo/Harbison has wicked traffic. NE Cola/Camden isn't as bad.

Dec 2, 2015, 7:08 PM

I was born in the Upstate in the shadow of the mountains and miss it, but job and family have had me in Cola for nearly 40 years. It is not as nice as Charleston or the beach, nor specifically the mountains, but don't be misled by your distaste for the poultry. They are obnoxious but we've been 60+%winners since I've been here and it is usually even better fun because of it. Lot's of nice places here: Vista, museums, Koger Center, River Walk, proximity to Lake Murray (closest large lake to a metro center of its size in the country), convenient shopping and reasonable traffic for a town of comparable size, short drives to mountains or beach. Billy Brice is merely a reflection of the bush league mentality that built it. There are poor areas but lots of pretty ones too. Downside is that Sakerlina "U" dominates metropolitan planning an politics and has an essential veto power over anything that touches on them that they think does not benefit the school, and downtown has taken a back seat to Greenville and Charleston in development for years for that reason and others. I'd much rather live here than Atlanta, chickens or no.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks man, I'll update on what I end up choosing.***

Dec 2, 2015, 7:10 PM

Dec 2, 2015, 7:14 PM

You have to ask yourself will I be happy there.... And I think we all know the answer.

Money isn't everything

Come on down, guy…

Dec 2, 2015, 7:45 PM

There are plenty of us here and we're starting to paint this town orange.

money is money

Dec 2, 2015, 7:46 PM

you dont have to be a gamecock fan to live there.

Dec 2, 2015, 7:47 PM

Almost all of my family lives in the Chapin area and they are all Tigers. Lexington is nice too. Just don't live in the city and you'll be fine

Take the job if it will advance your career.

Dec 2, 2015, 9:21 PM

It will be a lot harder to pick up and move for your career when you have a family to think about. Columbia isn't nearly the city Greenville or Charleston is, but it isn't so bad that you can't be happy there for a year or two. Plus, as others have said, you are still within a few hours of a lot of other great places like mountains, beach, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 2, 2015, 9:46 PM

I don't think Columbia is as bad as tiger fans say.

For suburbs, I recommend irmo, chapin, Lexington, Blythewood

Since you're 25, you might want to live in the vista. It's a popular entertainment district. I wouldn't recommend 5 points, it's a fratty, thuggy, crime infested cesspool.

Dec 2, 2015, 9:46 PM

I was in the same boat 17 years ago. Last place I wanted to live was Columbia but a job took me there and kept me there for 10 years. In all actuality, Columbia is not that bad. I made some great friends and had a great time. I lived off Geystone Blvd near the zoo. And when the gamecocks sucked, you hardly even know they are there. Lucky for you, it looks like they will be quiet again for a while.

We need more Tigers in Cola. We welcome Clemson refugees!***

Dec 2, 2015, 9:50 PM

Buy a house on Lake Murray in a quiet cove

Dec 2, 2015, 9:53 PM

That is about the only tolerable thing in Columbia

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic