Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any car experts on here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Any car experts on here?

Mar 4, 2016, 11:01 PM

Every time my truck is in idle my check engine light comes on and shakes a little bit. When i give it gas, its fine but i just got a tune up on my truck and a new fuel pump put in so im curious as to what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any car experts on here?

Mar 4, 2016, 11:03 PM

Quite a few things. Start with the fuel filter.

Is it something i should be really concerned about?

Mar 4, 2016, 11:07 PM

Money is tight right now so im wondering if i could possibly go a little while with the problem until i can afford to fix it

Mar 4, 2016, 11:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Any car experts on here? ]

Sounds like a random misfire at idle. Try some fuel injector cleaner in fuel.
That's cheap and I've had it work a number of times on similar symptoms.

Mar 4, 2016, 11:45 PM

Take it and find out what its, bc it's most likely something very simple. If you just had a tune up, it's probably a vacuum leak, loose plug wire or a plug got cracked putting it in. A vacuum leak will cause it to idle rough and make the engine light flash because it's about to shut off bc idle is to low. But it do sound simple, something your tech missed or over looked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2016, 11:50 PM

Check right under the breather, and make sure that vacuum line is plug into the breather....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had a similar issue

Mar 4, 2016, 11:53 PM

Shaking and engine light in my F-150. Checked all the fuel related stuff first but mine ended up being the coils. I bought a new set of coils (8 total) for about 100$ online and replaced all. Haven't had a problem since, and that was two years ago

Re: I had a similar issue

Mar 5, 2016, 10:37 AM

That same thing happen with my GMC. All the cylinders have their own coil. But I have also had the same reaction happen from the the vacuum that connects under the breather. That's why I named multiple simple things. I don't think that it's anything major.

Mar 5, 2016, 12:18 AM

What kind and year of truck? Some trucks and suv from 90s to early 2000s exhaust manifolds are too close to injectors and cause a heat soak almost. Maybe u need to run ethanol free; the fuel at low pressure could be vaporizing due excessive heat and the additive in 10%e fuel

Mar 5, 2016, 12:20 AM

What year?

Mar 5, 2016, 12:26 AM

I think Autozone/Advance Auto/Oreilly's will run a check for free. That will pinpoint the problem for you.

If you use a fuel injector cleaner, I recommend Seafoam as I use it in every engine I own. Keeps it clean and makes it run better IMO. Been using it for several years now.

But you didn't tell us if the problem existed BEFORE the recent tuneup. If the tuneup is recent and the problem did not exist prior to that, then maybe the mechanic needs to lick his calf. Good luck with that. They will just tear up something else to keep you coming back. Okay - that's cruel, but just how I feel most times. If you trust your mechanic, then ignore the warning.

Mar 5, 2016, 8:10 AM

Its 02 Mazda duel sport extended cab. No this problem did not exist before i got the tune up. I'm wondering if its something the mechanic did, I live in myrtle beach and I've always heard that its hard to find a mechanic around here that is trustworthy

Mar 5, 2016, 8:30 AM

go to an auto parts store and have the code run...that will tell you a lot of information. Did you have the wires replaced that lead to the plugs when you had the tune up ?

My daughters 4runner had the same thing going on. It was shaking when idling and when you would get up to speed. I had the code read and it said mis fire all cylinders. I changed the wires and plugs and the problem went away. Good luck.

Mar 5, 2016, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Any car experts on here? ]

^^:) I have the 03 Mazda Dual Sport and I love that old truck. It still runs great so I'm afraid to let a mechanic near it. It only has ~ 98K on it now. I added Kenwood head unit with built-in Garmin GPS, Bluetooth with mic, backup camera, all integrated into the 6.1" screen. I've updated a bunch of other stuff too (headlamps, speakers, etc). It's just an old truck, but I just keep hanging onto it. I try to do all of my minor maintenance on it though (brakes, oil changes, etc), and so far it's been a trooper.

They have those devices to check that vehicle (I have one) listed on Ebay, so you just plug it into the whatcha-macallit under the dash, and it tells you the error codes. I think I paid $40-50 for it years ago. It might be worth getting if you are interested in DIY maintenance.

The butterfly valve in the throttle body could be not left

Mar 5, 2016, 12:39 AM

open enough when the gas is not pressed. Thus making your engine idle to low. Easy fix, just adjust your gas pedal linkage (cable) at the valve.

Mar 5, 2016, 12:48 AM

dont know the year of your truck but if it is not to old'

Go by any advanced auto or other and let them hook up a diagnostics unit to give you the correct code the check engine light is reporting - this will point you in the correct direction. Punch the code into the internet with make and model of your vehicle for a great start..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never seen a check engine light shake...weird

Mar 5, 2016, 4:24 AM

run a code on the check engine light and see what the code is

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2016, 7:11 AM

My F-150 did that. It was a small 5inch vaccum hose on top of the motor. Had a hole wore in the side of it and was sucking air.

sucking air...kind of like slurrier***

Mar 5, 2016, 7:20 AM

Mar 5, 2016, 7:22 AM

You could spend a lot of $'s replacing
Have the computer scanned to know the code

Try this will not cost a dime
with it running idle open the fuel cap
some times the vent hole in the fuel cap
will not open causing the fuel tank to build
pressure not allowing the fuel pump to pick-up
fuel

Question when you fill the tank do you hear
air rushing in as you take the fuel cap off

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If this problem started just after you had a tuneup,

Mar 5, 2016, 7:59 AM

then I agree with the replies suggesting a vacuum leak. Highly possible either a small vacuum hose got left off, or broken.

Had a similar problem. IMO it may be a sensor or your car computer needs to be reset.

Mar 5, 2016, 9:17 AM

You should be able to reset your computer without paying a repairman.

Good luck!

Mar 5, 2016, 9:36 AM

if you just had it tuned up and this started, something is loose. Check all plug wires, fuel filter, etc. probably something simple.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just had a friend say it is more than likely...

Mar 5, 2016, 9:39 AM

throttle body probably dirty and needs cleaning, loose plug wires...look at it running at night or in the dark, check all plug wires for sparks. if one is loose you should see this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eniee weenie chilli beenie, the spirits are about 2 speak.

Mar 5, 2016, 9:39 AM

you could start by telling us what kind of truck you have. Is it diesel, gas or vegetable oil? What engine does it have? Did it do this before it was tuned up? I mean ###, son, you think there is a mind reader here on?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the check engine light is coming on it's setting a

Mar 5, 2016, 11:05 AM

malfunction code in the computer. Advance and Auto Zone have a code reader that will tell you generally what the problem is. Get the code and google it for your model and you'll find some things to check. Since you just had a tune up, like others suggested, it could very well be a vacuum hose that got disconnected as that will cause a rough idle.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic