Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Everest Jam
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 296

Everest Jam

May 23, 2019, 12:37 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's so dumb.

May 23, 2019, 12:39 PM

I imagine roughly 0 of those people have any business being up there, they just happen to be rich and want a good story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

unfortunately, money has replaced hard work

May 23, 2019, 12:42 PM

in most adventures. whether it be hunting, fishing, mountaineering, women.....you name it.

Money is, and has always been, the great shortcut!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not really begrudging rich people, either.

May 23, 2019, 12:44 PM

I wish I was rich. But some stuff is criminally dangerous, like how the Sherpas have been exploited.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sherpas are hands down the best permanent marker available right now.***

May 23, 2019, 12:56 PM

Until you apply bug spray***

May 23, 2019, 1:00 PM

I guess this is why bass fishermen look like Nascar

May 23, 2019, 1:14 PM [ in reply to unfortunately, money has replaced hard work ]

drivers now. Haven't seen one with a HANS device....yet

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had no idea Bass could swim that fast

May 23, 2019, 1:46 PM

Seems they would be tough as shoe leather

This is troublesome to see

May 23, 2019, 12:39 PM

Not how it should be done, IMHO

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Whomever is holding up the line needs

May 23, 2019, 12:41 PM

tossed off the mountain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PASS ON THE LEFT!***

May 23, 2019, 1:01 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everest Jam

May 23, 2019, 1:05 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/utah-man-dies-everest-after-reaching-goal-climbing-each-continent-n1009131

An American man who had the goal of climbing the tallest mountain on each continent died after reaching the top of Mount Everest, his seventh and final summit.

Don Cash, 55, was a Utah resident and passionate climber who had left his job to join the "Seven Summits Club."

Cash's children said their father knew he was on a risky mission. On a previous climb, he lost fingers to frostbite. Still, he was determined to reach all seven summits.

“He taught us that nothing was impossible,” Brandalin Cash, his daughter, told NBC affiliate KSL-TV, adding that Everest was "big finishing aspect of his dreams."

Cash made it to the top of Everest, completing his life's dream, but collapsed on the descent on a portion of the trail called the "Hillary Step."

The exact cause of Cash’s death is unclear, but his family thinks he had a heart attack while descending from the peak of the world’s tallest mountain. His family said sherpas, mountain guides on Everest, tried to perform CPR and give him oxygen, but he died as he was transported back to camp.

I read earlier his body cannot be rescued and his friends

May 23, 2019, 1:08 PM

say his final resting place will be where he wanted it to be.

Eff that noise.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I read earlier his body cannot be rescued and his friends

May 23, 2019, 1:25 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-teacher-climbs-everest-1.5146333

Shekhawat reached the summit, 8.85 kilometres above sea level, on May 16, after four days of a gruelling, freezing climb. Before that climb, he hiked six hours a day for 50 to 60 days to reach the first base camp..

Cray!

And...

His toes still feel numb from frostbite and there wasn't much time to enjoy the view when he reached the summit, Shekhawat said. He just took his photos and started the trek back down to Base Camp 2.

"I didn't see what was around — just to reach the top and when I get back, I'll see what was there," he said.

"Not enjoying, actually; just to reach the top, to make sure that I'm safe and secure."

brb climbing to the top and not looking around

....two of the six people in Shekhawat's group who made it to the peak died on their way down.

One died of fatigue-related medical problems, which Shekhawat suspects was a result of a lack of training.

The person stopped to rest in the "death zone," Shekhawat said, referring to the area above 8,000 metres where oxygen becomes too thin for humans to breathe.

In the other fatal incident, a climber didn't properly secure a rope and fell.

Here's an article about the climber who fell

May 23, 2019, 1:31 PM

THE BODY OF an Indian climber, who was part of the expedition group that included the missing Trinity professor Séamus Lawless, has been recovered.

Ravi Thakar (28) was found dead inside his tent at Everest Camp 4 at an elevation 7,920 metres on Friday morning as his team was resting after reaching the mountain’s summit.

“The team has recovered body of Ravi Thakar, who was found dead inside his tent at Camp IV on Mt Everest,” Tashi Lakpa Sherpa, director at Seven Summit Treks, told the Himalayan Times.

Séamus Lawless, an assistant professor at the university’s School of Computer Science, was one of four Irish people who climbed Mount Everest as part of a group called ‘Ireland on Everest’ this month. Thakar was part of the expedition team.

Seámus went missing last Thursday at an altitude of around 8,300m after falling near a balcony area while descending the summit, hours after he completed a lifetime ambition of reaching the peak of the world’s highest mountain.

Technically a man hasn’t really flown until he lands.

May 23, 2019, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Everest Jam ]

~ Todd Snider

here are some details about that jam

May 23, 2019, 1:11 PM

Garcia was quoting Donovan's 1967 'There Is A Mountain' long before the Allman Brothers were formed, most often playing it for a bar or two in Alligator jams. I think the earliest instance is in the 9/3/67 Alligator; and you can hear it at 9:00 in the Alligator on the Anthem album, or briefly at 12:00 in the 2/14/68 Alligator. Melodically it sounds similar to the Bid You Goodnight riff, so it's interesting that both of these pieces were born in the Alligator jam - there are many early Alligators where Garcia seems constantly just about to play one of these.....

It's tricky finding good links for it though, since he always plays it as just a brief tease, and there's little point in directing you to long Alligators just to find a few seconds of a melody. But one place where it has its own track is 11/6/70 after Goin' Down the Road:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-11-06.aud.warner.17183.sbeok.shnf

A couple other places where Garcia is playing, not necessarily the exact riff, but an extended jam in the Mountain Jam style, include the 6/4/70 Midnight Hour -
http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-06-04.sbd.miller.12135.sbeok.shnf

- and six minutes into this expansive Not Fade Away, which in this poor AUD recording sounds like a distorted wah-wah rendition!
http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-07-11.aud.cotsman.9379.sbefail.shnf

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

When they get the escalator completed, then I'm gonna go.

May 23, 2019, 2:24 PM

No way I'm carrying shopping bags filled with souvenirs from the gift shop up there without an escalator.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 296
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic