Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If I’m Tommy Bowden I’m pissed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

If I’m Tommy Bowden I’m pissed

Dec 11, 2020, 9:08 PM

The movie Safety made him look like a real jerk.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know a lot of folks in the Clemson area that would say ...

Dec 11, 2020, 9:09 PM

... that the movie got it right then.

Re: If I’m Tommy Bowden I’m pissed

Dec 11, 2020, 9:11 PM

Honestly, man, Tommy is an arrogant jerk. My mother worked in the athletic department during Ford’s, Hatfield’s, West’s, & Bowden’s tenures and I got to know them all well. Trust me, Bowden is not pleasant to be around.

When Bowden first came to Clemson

Dec 11, 2020, 9:15 PM

we went down on the field after a game, can't remember which game. My son (10 at the time) saw Bowden talking to press and folks over by the west endzone locker room entrance area. I told him he should go ask for an autograph. I watch as he went over and said something to Bowden, Bowden said something to him and pointed behind my son and then turned and kept on talking to those folks. My son took a few steps back and I thought "I'm gonna hate this guy". Then Bowden turned around and patted my son on the shoulder and took him over to the steps. They sat down and Bowden took my son's program, signed and asked my son a bunch of questions and generally talked to him a few minutes.

My son ran back over grinning with his signed program and that sealed it for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Honestly what coach wouldn’t do that ?***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:18 PM

I guess that shows...even jerks can have good moments!!***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:18 PM [ in reply to When Bowden first came to Clemson ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did they emphasize Tommy cutting him?

Dec 11, 2020, 9:20 PM

I never understood why Tommy never came out and explained that cutting Ray Ray back then was what had to be done to allow him to go wherever he wanted to if he wanted to actually get real playing time, because it wasn’t going to happen at Clemson. He was going to be stuck on the special teams if he kept his scholarship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2020, 9:20 PM

Didn't Tommy hire Dabo? He is also responsible for a lot of wins over the Coots. Don't get why any Clemson person why say anything negative about him.

Dec 11, 2020, 9:24 PM

Tommy hired Jack Hines, too. And never won anything of any significance.

Dec 11, 2020, 9:27 PM

Rob Spence thought hiring Jack Hines was a bad idea

guess you don't remember the Tommy West years***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: If I’m Tommy Bowden I’m pissed ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: guess you don't remember the Tommy West years***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:34 PM

Some of the worst crowds I've seen Death Valley were during West years. We played Ncstate in 98 at home in a shootout, and I believe you could have fit all the folks there in lower decks.

Boy it's hard to believe we went from 1989 to 1998 to 2015+ and things went as down to back up as they did

Dec 11, 2020, 9:36 PM [ in reply to guess you don't remember the Tommy West years*** ]

Tommy West failures shouldn't have anything to do with Bowden being an A$$ hole!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2020, 10:14 PM [ in reply to guess you don't remember the Tommy West years*** ]

I do remember those years. West was in over his head, but was a seriously cool guy. Does not change the fact that Tommy Bowden is a jerk.

My spoon also delivers Blue Bell banana ice cream to my mouth

Dec 11, 2020, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: If I’m Tommy Bowden I’m pissed ]

I guess I should always be grateful for that spoon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2020, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: If I’m Tommy Bowden I’m pissed ]

I really don't see anything wrong with people that knew him, being honest about how they saw him to be, and how he treated people. If he was a jerk, it should've been talked about. If not for the Clemson folks, he couldn't have made the money that he made at Clemson, even for years after he was gone!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2020, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Re: If I’m Tommy Bowden I’m pissed ]

TB was cold, arrogant and unqualified.

The first two I can attest to first hand and the third, well...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2020, 11:26 PM

You and I must’ve watched totally different movies. The movie didn’t make Timmy look like a jerk. They made him look like a college football coach. I promise you, Dabo is not Mr. nice guy when he’s out there coaching! I guarantee you it would shock some of your people if you saw the real Dabo as a coach in practice. Have you ever watched the man on the sideline during a football game? He’s not the saint and the Jimmy Stewart character that you people make him out to be.

Dec 11, 2020, 11:42 PM

Who said the contrary?

Dec 12, 2020, 10:09 AM

Lol oh my

Self awareness or situational awareness is not your strong suit If you don’t understand and are not aware of the perception by many on this board of Dabo.

They should've included the "lip quiver" in a scene

Dec 11, 2020, 11:38 PM

That would definitely soften his persona to the audience.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They should've included the "lip quiver" in a scene

Dec 12, 2020, 5:12 AM

Or some grass eating ;)!!!

Dec 11, 2020, 11:43 PM

I and my family never once had a bad experience with Coach Bowden, class act in our book. Go Tigers!

Dec 12, 2020, 12:24 AM

The movie Safety made him look like a real jerk.

Bowden did have an arrogance about him. He was more tolerable than Leggett and Tigerbalm though.

Dec 12, 2020, 9:24 AM

Tommy might’ve appeared a certain way to a lot of folks due to his sideline demeanor but I can tell you that he’s a good man. I had the opportunity to sit in his office and talk to him one on one. If you had the same opportunity, you’d know what a good influence he was on many people.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic