Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I got back from a road trip to South Carolina yesterday.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 562

I got back from a road trip to South Carolina yesterday.

Feb 5, 2019, 11:10 AM

Anyway, I haven't been a in a bit, but I noticed that interstate 95 in South Carolina is in really bad shape compared to Georgia and Florida. Why is that? It seems like in a booming state like South Carolina would have great roads. Que pasa?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We spend all our road taxes on other bullchit

Feb 5, 2019, 11:11 AM

HTH

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the lowest gas tax in the nation that we didn't

Feb 5, 2019, 11:18 AM

touch for 20 years? Yeah, our roads suck. And even though they overrode the gubnah on the gas tax, even when we get to the proper level in 5-6 years or whatever, and gas costs as much as in NC and GA, that means our roads will then manage to maintain their relative level of crappiness when compared to NC and GA instead of getting crappier every year.

If we want our roads to be as good as NC or GA, that means we have to double the difference, and have a higher tax than NC and GA for 20 years, THEN we will have comparable roads.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suspect that we could have the highest gas tax in

Feb 5, 2019, 11:31 AM

The country and you’d see little to no improvement in the roads.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That may be true. But as it stands (stood) for decades

Feb 5, 2019, 11:35 AM

we had the lowest tax and now have the shittiest roads. And this is where conservative people and conservative politicians differ. Most republicans support spending on infrastructure. Most conservatives support it. Yet there's this group think among ELECTED republicans that all taxes are evil, always, no matter what. If 100% of a tax goes to highway/road/transportation spending, I have zero problem supporting that tax. And if the roads suck, I support increasing that tax.

Graft is another issue altogether, but it's most commonly used by the groupthink folks who attack any and all taxes no matter what. Ok, so the roads suck. Ok, so you support increasing this tax for roads, BUT the money would be wasted anyway. So it doesn't matter. You're not going to end the graft, and reform the DOT to ANY extent enough to fund fixing our ###### roads. End it totally, spend 100%, every penny, on the roads, they still will suck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only people I've heard object to raising the gas

Feb 5, 2019, 11:46 AM

tax are people like myself, who know that it won't end up going to the actual roads. Always more funding, more more more. I wish my life were like that. Welp, I ###### up this budget, so I guess I just need more money from this group of people!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd be fine with that. Problem is

Feb 5, 2019, 12:08 PM [ in reply to That may be true. But as it stands (stood) for decades ]

They always want to raise a tax and they say it will help this or that (think property taxes years ago, and this silly ### penny tax) but it's not earmarked for anything in particular, and just becomes a slush fund for those ######## in the state house.

GO TIGERS!!

Lexington County proposed a penny tax for roads

Feb 5, 2019, 12:16 PM

I initially supported it. They even made a list of projects it would fund. I was excited. THEN, they started adding water and sewer projects, sidewalks, pathways in parks, LIBRARY funding, etc. and I bailed. It failed, because of that. In the and 1/3 of the funding was earmarked for stuff that was not related to the roads. My two favorite projects were nixed in favor of library funding, bike paths, and water and sewer.

I think the penalties for wasting public money need to be as high as robbing a bank of the same amount of money. That would solve a lot of problems.

Exactly what I did..

Feb 5, 2019, 12:24 PM

Once they started throwing in parks and #### I was out because I knew every dime would go to things I would never use.

GO TIGERS!!

I'd bet it would pass if kept to funding road improvements

Feb 5, 2019, 1:21 PM

ONLY. I was excited about connecting Woodside Rd. and Ginny Lane with a bridge. That would cut the drive time to school by 10 minutes and assure there would be no rezoning for our house. That was axed when they added the water and sewer and park crap. I mean who the heck let that stuff in the list of projects?

What people don't get is the most vocal group is NOT always the group with the numbers. The most vocal groups are usually made of people who have a ton of free time, and nothing to do but make their voices heard about something. The numbers are with the people who don't have time to attend meetings, deliver petitions, go meet with news reporters, write blogs, etc. People who spend their time working and taking care of kids, etc. Most Americans (a majority) don't have the time to make themselves heard other than with their vote. Those in charge of the penny tax in Lexington heard all kinds of crap that made them change their minds. On the Ginny Lane issue, there are like 8 houses on the section of Woodside Road, and they would have seen a huge increase in traffic. But there are 200+ homes OFF Woodside Road that would benefit. Someone in one of the 8 houses on Woodside Road went around stuffing fliers in mailboxes with a list of all the problems (mainly he/she) would have. Neighborhood all agreed on Facebook page the benefits were far greater and the flier was BS. Still, someone with time and among EIGHT homes, was more vocal than the people in 200+ homes who supported it. They went and raised #### from what I understand. So 200 people, and countless others who would benefit from the traffic flow improvements, were stymied by EIGHT houses.

Richland's penny tax has been used for some headscratching

Feb 5, 2019, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Lexington County proposed a penny tax for roads ]

projects, many of which benefited UofSC Athletics.

Oh, the Supreme Court STOPPED their penny tax spending

Feb 5, 2019, 1:23 PM

until they could account for all the waste and graft. Not sure if they've come clean yet or not. At least Lexington had a very specific list of prioritized projects. That's why I was on board....at first.

This will give you a bit of insight into the problem

Feb 5, 2019, 11:12 AM

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article225071950.html

Re: This will give you a bit of insight into the problem

Feb 5, 2019, 11:16 AM

Makes sense now. Thanks

all the monies have gone into I85, I385, I20, I526, and I26

Feb 5, 2019, 11:18 AM

Some 95 projects are coming soon tho like replacing the bridge across the savannah river

Re: all the monies have gone into I85, I385, I20, I526, and I26

Feb 5, 2019, 11:27 AM

That will be interesting to see if they ever complete that interstate from Michigan/Ohio all the way to around Myrtle. I think it's called interstate 73.

Yeah, the I-73 corridor project has been idle for decades

Feb 5, 2019, 11:34 AM

now.

We're just so far behind the ball here on roads

Feb 5, 2019, 11:33 AM [ in reply to all the monies have gone into I85, I385, I20, I526, and I26 ]

They're about to spend 1.something billion on malfunction junction in Columbia. Read up. They're down to 2 options now.

http://www.scdotcarolinacrossroads.com/DEIS/CCR_DEIS_Summary_PDF_Upload.pdf

I'm in the industry***

Feb 5, 2019, 1:13 PM

So is my BIL. He's in NC right now finishing a 2-year

Feb 5, 2019, 1:32 PM

project. They're bidding on malfunction junction I heard. But SC tends to take the lowest and least effective bid and the projects drag on for YEARS. I guarantee you in 2025 malfunction junction will not be finished. They built the Ravanel Bridge (and tore down the old one) in 1/4 the time it took to add one lane to 15 miles of I-85.

Oh, and the 3 years it took them to widen 26 from Columbia to Sandy Run exit on 26 was because of two things. The contractor failed to lay the new asphalt with the proper grading. So the new road had to be repaved before it could even open. They also managed to build a new bridge that was 36 inches off from the planned road surface, an expensive mistake. That put the contractor into bankruptcy.

Or so I have been told....

Both the dems and Trump are working on...

Feb 5, 2019, 11:13 AM

a bill to redo all infrastructure. Why should we spend our money rather than sticking our hand out like everyone else?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's because every penny of the SCDOT budget is being put

Feb 5, 2019, 11:17 AM

into a 682 year adventure know as the Gateway Project

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I-26 needs to be 4 lanes from Columbia to 301 in O'burg

Feb 5, 2019, 12:20 PM

They're halfway there, but there's still 20 miles or so of death-trap. I'd argue that's worse than I85 now.

all interstates should be 8 lanes leaving the state and 1

Feb 5, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to It's because every penny of the SCDOT budget is being put ]

dirt path coming in.

That would solve a lot of it.

Is that I-85 from Greenville to Anderson?

Feb 5, 2019, 12:25 PM [ in reply to It's because every penny of the SCDOT budget is being put ]

'Cause they have been working on some part of that road consistently since at least the fall of 1985.

They have been working on I-85 in Greenville my entire

Feb 5, 2019, 12:36 PM

life. Greenville is like a raging alcoholic who just drinks more and more even as his home deteriorates around him. Greenville just adds more and more people and shid, without any thought to how it will work with the existing infrastructure.

By the time they get done with the 85/385 exchange, traffic will still be worse that it ever has been, because they haven't addressed any of the secondary roads they're pushing people on to. It's just an amazing display of idiocy over here, I watch the traffic get worse by the day.

At least in other places they take steps to improve the infrastructure before adding a shitton of cookie cutter communities and mixed use commercial properties. Not Gville! Have another 10 acre mixed use commercial development at the intersection of two 2 lane roads.

Sounds like Clemson***

Feb 5, 2019, 1:27 PM

how many people that live in SC even drive on I-95?

Feb 5, 2019, 1:02 PM

it's about 90% Yankees, truckers, and other assorted snowbirds.

Re: I got back from a road trip to South Carolina yesterday.

Feb 5, 2019, 1:36 PM

One other observation, South Carolina has an amazing amount of road kill lining the interstate. I was wondering if there was less cleanup of that in SC or just way more animals getting plowed.

Yup. Skunks are having an incredibly bad year.***

Feb 5, 2019, 1:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: Yup. Skunks are having an incredibly bad year.***

Feb 5, 2019, 1:54 PM

Deer, dogs, skunks, raccoons, and probably some others I couldn't make out. You don't have the bridges or tunnels in South Carolina, but in California some of the wild animals have started to figure out how to use them.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/07/wildlife-crossings-bridges-tunnels-animals-roads-highways-roadkill/566210/

Replies: 30
| visibility 562
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic