Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Initial thoughts on YouTube TV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Initial thoughts on YouTube TV

Aug 27, 2019, 11:28 AM

Seems like this mess with the ACCN is going to be at least a bit of a boom for the alternative services and a bust for the big guys, especially those who haven't committed yet, like Dish.

For those of you who have fully switched over to YouTube TV (I'm on the free trial), what are your initial thoughts and what service did you come from? Obviously the sports selection is great, but how do you like the interface, the library/DVR, etc?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Initial thoughts on YouTube TV

Aug 27, 2019, 11:34 AM

I like it but sometimes all of the free pron is a bit overwhelming.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2019, 9:03 PM

As a former Directv Now customer I LOVE YouTube TV. Unlimted recording, it actually works and you can skip commercials. Love it.

Aug 27, 2019, 9:12 PM

^^^Same here for me. I haven't found a real easy way to skip thru the commercials yet. Is there a slick way to do that? There's no fast-forward like Directv has, and moving the timeline with the cursor seldom hits the right spot for me. And the 15-second advance thing takes several times to make that get thru the commercial, so not a real easy thing IMO.

Let me know what I'm missing.

I do like it way better though. I can easily watch multiple games on my PC and TV at the same time, which is what I like. Recording is easy too, and I've already set everything up to record all the games I want to watch for every team I chose.

Aug 28, 2019, 10:14 AM

^^^Same here for me. I haven't found a real easy way to skip thru the commercials yet. Is there a slick way to do that? There's no fast-forward like Directv has, and moving the timeline with the cursor seldom hits the right spot for me. And the 15-second advance thing takes several times to make that get thru the commercial, so not a real easy thing IMO.

Let me know what I'm missing.

I do like it way better though. I can easily watch multiple games on my PC and TV at the same time, which is what I like. Recording is easy too, and I've already set everything up to record all the games I want to watch for every team I chose.

doing this by memory so forgive me if I am not 100% accurate , arrow beside the pause play button pressed after "after pausing" gives you FF>> in 15 second increments, if you do not pause playback first , then repeated press of right arrow increases he speed that you are FF>>ding 2x ,4x,8x up to 32X I think.

Also, if you llok on the progress bar while repeatedly clicking the 15 second shot you can see a screen capture of where you are fast forwarded to. Just click it until you see the show back on and press the play/pause button and it will back up 5 seconds on restart and you don't miss anything.

I did just have a thought, muy instructions are tailored to users of ROKU as that is what I settled on through out the house

Message was edited by: EssoClub2®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2019, 11:08 AM

Thanks man. Gonna try that and see how it goes.

Aug 27, 2019, 11:36 AM

I was going to do HULU but there were problems so I'll do another free trial

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got Hulu TV because it was a little less expensive

Aug 27, 2019, 12:27 PM

since I already have Hulu (No Ads). Basically, you get the Hulu (No Ads) service free with Hulu TV (a $12 savings).

However, there is a HUGE "gotcha" - Hulu TV's DVR doesn't allow you to fast forward commercials on recorded programs. I've never heard of a DVR that doesn't allow this - that is the whole point of a DVR. Well, I shouldn't say they "don't allow" fast forward. For the low, low price of $10 you can get "enhanced DVR" service that allows more recording time and fast forwarding commercials.

Frankly, I can't stand nickel-and-dime charges. Even though I would still be ahead $2 sticking with Hulu with enhanced DVR, I think I will be switching to YouTube TV. YouTube TV offers unlimited DVR and fast forwarding commercials for no additional fees.

Re: I got Hulu TV because it was a little less expensive

Aug 27, 2019, 12:45 PM

I agree about the nickel and dime charges. That's a capability I expect. I'd be happier if you just charged me the full amount up front instead of considering that an extra.

Aug 27, 2019, 11:38 AM

I have not yet made the switch but my brother has and said that his favorite part is that you can group and reorder your channels to put certain things together for easier access.

Aug 27, 2019, 11:48 AM

Dropped Directv a little more than a year ago. Went with Sling and liked it. It was easy to use and had what I wanted. Tried Hulu but hated the menu and search functions. As the season got closer I was looking for something new since it appeared that Sling wasn't getting the ACCN. I tried the free trial of YouTube and liked it more than Sling. The menu is closer to what the satellite and older cable companies use. No complaints after a couple of weeks.

And the price is amazing.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2019, 1:08 PM

I just cancelled my service with Dishnetwork after five years with them. I suppose if they had offered ACCN, I wouldn't have. That said, sports, college football specifically, is what I want and of course Tiger football above all else. Since the ACCN is likely to have more and more of our games I decided something had to be done. So, I did my home work. Like others, I didn't like the nickle and dime approach or clunky interface of Hulu or Sling and since they weren't going to have the ACCN anyway, then I wasn't interested. I do like the layout of the channel guide but find it to be not as easy to use as what Dish or Direct offer but those guys have been developing their interface for over twenty years. I do LOVE the unlimited DVR and fast forward capabilities of Youtube TV. I'm using my sons Xbox1 to stream YoutubeTV to my 4K TV and surround sound system. Of course YoutubeTV does not stream in 4K and truthfully, not even 1080p. I think the best is 720 but I've watched a few football games on it and it's ok. I'm hoping it will get better. For the money you can't beat it. I'm paying about half what I was paying before for almost the same amount of content. YoutubeTV allows up to six accounts under one subscription which is a plus. I do have a TV in my bedroom but no Xbox and it isn't a smart TV. It's an older plasma if you can believe that. Anyway, to get around buying an xbox just for streaming I bought an Amazon fireTV stick since I already had an Amazon prime account. Getting YoutubeTV on the FireTV stick took some jumping through hoops but wasn't too difficult. It's nice because if I DVR something in the theater room, I can watch it downstairs in the bedroom or vice a versa. Overall I'd say that YoutubeTV is good but not great. If Dishnetwork gets an agreement with ESPN to provide the ACCN, I'll probably go back simply for the 4k content.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2019, 1:33 PM

I left TW/Spectrum for first DirecTV.Now, then changed to youtube.tv. I'm completely happy with youtube.tv.

Aug 27, 2019, 1:48 PM

I had just switched to Dish from Direct 4-5 months ago so I'm locked in for 2 years. So, I just added YouTubeTV and find it to be very easy to navigate. I will stay with it until Dish gets off their butts and work a deal with ACCN. I'm not giving up some channels that Dish offers such as ISPN, Encore Westerns, and AXStv. Gotta have my Gunsmoke and music!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2019, 3:26 PM

Had Directv for years, switched because the prices continued to rise.

Went with Sling last year, liked it for the most part, but it had it's negatives like one package had Fox Sports and the other ESPN, so you had to have both to cover all sports. Also had add on packages for certain channels, etc. Also, no local channels.

Switched from that to YTTV and have been extremely pleased. I like the interface, the fact you can have 6 different accounts on it, so my wife has one that she can watch and record what she wants to and I have everything on my account laid out like I want. Includes local channels and you can take your service with you on vacation, business trips, etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I left Spectrum over a year ago...tried some other streaming

Aug 28, 2019, 11:18 AM

....services but settled on YouTubeTV. They have the best overall sports programming for college football season. The unlimited DVR is what really sold me whereas at the time the competitors were not offering DVR or were still experimenting with it.

The one thing you have to get used to is that there are no "channel numbers". Most of us got used to the idea of remembering channel numbers and entering that number with the remote to quickly jump to that channel. Some people are going to have a hard time adjusting to the concept of scrolling through the channel lineup to select what they want to watch. The good news is that with YTTV they make it very easy to both reorder the channels in any order you want them appear and to group channels together. And, you can X-out any channels you never watch and never will have interest in so they don't show up in the channel guide to clutter up everything.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic