Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Injustices Prevented
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Injustices Prevented

Jan 14, 2021, 10:20 AM

In my view there were two injustices prevented towards the tail end of this college football season. Two things that didn't happen which brought me relief and satisfaction. I'm aware that I'm using a serious term (injustice) in relation to non-serious topics, but I digress.

1. Notre Dame did not win the ACC. In my opinion the ACC played the fool by allowing the Irish in this year's football competition. I couldn't stomach the thought of them winning in their one and only season in the conference, so our Tigers did the entire conference a service by crushing them in Charlotte. I'm perfectly happy for them to go away in all sports, but to have prevented their football team from winning it all was great for the ACC in 2020.

2. An 8 win football team did not win the National Championship. I know Covid presents so many challenges and variables that it was truly an oddball season for several reasons. I also know that Ohio State missing their games was not the fault of their players or staff. But to crown an champion who played five less than other competitors would have been ridiculous. Their title would rightly have had an asterisk next to it and given plenty of people reason to criticize the playoff system.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree.***

Jan 14, 2021, 10:31 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree! I would add that a few "low win" teams having their

Jan 14, 2021, 10:36 AM

bowl game "cancelled" was also a positive outcome in my mind.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree! I would add that a few "low win" teams having their

Jan 14, 2021, 10:48 AM

If you are referencing the Gamecocks then I agree. But overall I don't care if losing teams go to Mobile, Boise, or Orlando to play in a meaningless game.

In 2020, I would have taken a long hard look at the bowl game and given the team the chance to vote on participation. There's no reason to extend the season this year given what they players had to go through.

Jan 14, 2021, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Agree! I would add that a few "low win" teams having their ]

Awe, I wanted a 2-9 South Carolina team in a bowl.

Mostly because it would be historic as the only 2 win team to ever play in a bowl. You had a few 3-1 wartimes teams play bowl games in the 1940s but never a 2 win team.

The coots being blown out as a 2-10 "bowl" team would have just made a bigger mockery of their program.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:12 AM

My coot neighbor thinks with Beamer & the players he’s getting the coots could be good by the time Tator’s play’um.

I just try to keep a straight face as I’m laughing ?? on the inside( ok I had to laugh a little).

Furman & the Citadel might beat them next year...lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jan 16, 2021, 6:44 PM

?????????? in their coot dreams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But “SEC wins” count double, don’t they?***

Jan 14, 2021, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Agree! I would add that a few "low win" teams having their ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 16, 2021, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Agree! I would add that a few "low win" teams having their ]

SC played in the inaugural Gator Bowl in 1946 with a record of 2-3-3 and lost to............... Wake Forest.

Jan 16, 2021, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Agree! I would add that a few "low win" teams having their ]

I was looking forward to UAB putting it on the coots. That’s the only game I wanted to see.

But I would have choked saying ND if we had not smoked the to let them know the fast one they try to pull. It did not work out as completely as they had hoped. It did get them in the CFP’s though.

But for now the ACC title runs through Clemson.

And as far as the transfer portal. Let’s see how things work out next year. Clemson recruited a lot of talent the last few years. I going to back Dabo for now. He is the HC who lead Clemson to the first college team to go 15/0, has won 10 games every year in the last 10 years, 2 more NC, gave Urban Meyer his only shut out in his college career as a HC, has a 5-1 or 4-1 record against OSU. I know one is DF’s , and Dabo has taken us to 6 consecutive CFP’s
And 4 trips to the NC winning 2 of the 4.

Quite a resume for a HC who has not used used the Portal.

Who is going to replace Justin Fields at OSU, after Joe Burrows transferred 3 times he ended up at LSU. LSU became a one year wonder. I think the transfer portal has gotten away from the NCAA. Now they are trying to reel it back in. Who knows where is will go??? IMO it is bad for college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2021, 10:46 AM

No doubt

null

Re: Injustices Prevented

Jan 14, 2021, 10:51 AM

I agree about keeping the "earning it" with the 31>21 Ohio State being a bridesmaid....

However, I disagree about the ACC being a mistake allowing ND to compete. I think that it was a HUGE success... if you want ND in conference. If not, well ehhhh, ok.

Not only did it make the ACC CG relevant for the third time since... maybe Miami 38-3 beatdown, or one of those early FSU/VT games. Really, it was the only relevant conference championship game this year. The ACC finally had the "top team" matchup that weekend, even a rubber match of sorts. Only a FSU vs Miami would be a similar matchup scale-wise.

Next, it showed how ND could compete and put itself into major conference success.... even if they come up short. That path is harder as an indy. It also trips up their Indy only status.

Now, I don't really like ND in conference UNLESS it trips the ACC into two regional divisions that is more akin to the historic ACC vs historic BigEast. Then I am fine putting the darn yankees of ND,UofL, Cuse, BC, VT, Pitt, etc into a group and then focusing Clemson back on beating true southern "atlantic coast" teams.

I feel like part of the success of the ACCCG this year

Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 AM

was not having divisions. Why can't the top 2 teams in the ACC play in that game every year regardless of what division they're in?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I feel like part of the success of the ACCCG this year

Jan 14, 2021, 11:53 AM

100% agree.

Jan 14, 2021, 12:56 PM [ in reply to I feel like part of the success of the ACCCG this year ]

I'd be for it except it does create too much of an unbalance in the schedule IMO. We were lucky to not run into any type of crazy tiebreaker situation this year. Imagine if UNC had beaten ND and Clemson, ND, and UNC all had 1 loss at the end of the season. How would it be fair to decide which 2 teams play for the title? ND would have beaten Clemson, and UNC would have beaten ND, and Clemson and UNC didn't even play each other.

Or imagine a year where the loser of the Clemson/ND game being left out of the title game in favor of another team who didn't have to play Clemson or ND that season. The schedules would become even more imbalanced in normal seasons where only 8 conference games are played. It's either than are the ACC moves to 9 conference games each season which would possibly eliminate OOC games like Georgia due to us not wanting to give up a home game.

Jan 14, 2021, 1:21 PM

Obviously UNC would be in, because UNC.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 15, 2021, 5:31 AM [ in reply to Re: I feel like part of the success of the ACCCG this year ]

This Clemson team too good for most the elite SEC unless they are fully exposed to their diapers. Thankfully only a Halodeck. Sorry, "we" and Him" have communication problems.

That said, I wish for more racers on my tean!

Jan 14, 2021, 4:02 PM [ in reply to I feel like part of the success of the ACCCG this year ]

On one side, I kinda agree. The old atlantic/coastal was not as good. However, we played only ONE (UVA) traditional rival at home. Sorry, but I like beating NC State, UNC, Wake, UVA, Duke etc - the traditional ACC. I work with folks from these schools. It kinda stunk that I did not get to rub some NC State folks for another year.

I just think that regional divisions would work better. Let the yankees play up nawth, have the southern schools play, the champs play and the world moves on.

+1 on the uneven scheduling too.... there could be a 3-way "7-1" tie between three teams. It worked this year, but sometimes it might not. I have felt that the B12 sometimes has decent but not great results.

Divisions.....

Jan 14, 2021, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Injustices Prevented ]

If ND joins and we have to keep divisions (I liked some of it without them)....I’d prefer the following divisions:

Old School

Clemson
Duke
FSU
GT
NCSU
UNC
UVA
Wake

New School

BC
Louisville
Miami
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse
Va. Tech
+ whatever other new school becomes the 16th team

Re: Divisions.....

Jan 16, 2021, 12:15 PM

You need to flip Miami and UVA. No way would Miami be subjected to travel to every team in the north for its division. It shouldn't be doing that now.

Cryin Day now saying he needs a break...

Jan 14, 2021, 10:58 AM

after a grueling 8-game season.

The guy is such a weenie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Injustices Prevented- Tigers save the ACC from embarrassment

Jan 14, 2021, 11:13 AM

Had Clemson lost the ACC championship game to the lugubrious Leprechauns, the ACC would have never recovered as the worst Power 5 conference to let an independent come in and take their crown!

Re: Injustices Prevented- Tigers save the ACC from embarrassment

Jan 14, 2021, 1:23 PM

FSU came into the ACC from being an Independent and snatched that crown several years in a row.

The ACC is just not a football conference.

Re: Injustices Prevented- Tigers save the ACC from embarrassment

Jan 14, 2021, 10:44 PM

Not an equivalent comparison. FSU came into the conference & stayed. Not a one-and-done like ND.

Though it Pains Me To Say It Bama Was The Best Team in 2020

Jan 14, 2021, 1:28 PM

Our Tigers could have beat them, but I think would have needed Bama to slip up or us to catch more than 1 good break. Still a fine year for our Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Though it Pains Me To Say It Bama Was The Best Team in 2020

Jan 15, 2021, 11:10 PM

Proud of the team but no way we beat Bama

Jan 14, 2021, 10:16 PM

Man of few words, prove to be man of wisdom....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 5:00 AM

Good points. We can be thankful.

Completely agree! Good post!***

Jan 15, 2021, 5:10 AM

And ARMY got to play a Bowl Game

Jan 15, 2021, 7:30 AM

How great was that! :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Jan 15, 2021, 7:33 AM

Truly two of the only times that the right side won in 2020...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 1:32 PM

Or you could have said, "Justice Prevails".

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jan 16, 2021, 12:02 PM

Agreed.

Jan 16, 2021, 12:04 PM

You would be a fool to think having ND in the ACC did not benefit the ACC even for one season.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic