Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Issue With CFP Committee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

My Issue With CFP Committee

Nov 11, 2015, 1:57 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the objective of the CFP Committee to select the top teams in the country in order to fill bowl game and playoff spots? Doesn't it seem like the Committee is turning out to be a lot like the AP or the BCS at this point?

I know we're only two years in, but here is the issue that I take with the Committee: projections! The CFP Committee was established for the sole purpose of ranking the Top 25 teams in order to fulfill its objective of filling playoff and bowl game berths. To do that the Committee, as it has stated itself, must objectively look at each team and evaluate its entire resume, as it stands today. The Committee has always been very careful to always work using the same protocol and the same criteria for ranking teams, but they are now beginning to drift outside their original charter.

With the release of the last set of rankings, on 11/10/15, the CFP Committee openly acknowledged that they are PROJECTING the resume of a given team.

EXAMPLE:

#3 OHIO STATE BUCKEYES 9-0
- 0 wins vs Top 25
- 2-0 vs Winning Opponents (Northern Illinois; Penn State)
- 0 non-conference games against Winning Opponents from Power 5

#5 Iowa Hawkeyes 9-0
- 2 wins vs Top 25 (#18 Northwestern; #25 Wisconsin)
- 4-0 vs Winning Opponents (Wisconsin, Pitt, Illinois, Northwestern)
- 1-0 vs non-conference Power 5 Winning Opponents

I don't see ANY way that anyone can skew those numbers to tell me that Ohio State has a better record than Iowa. The Hawkeyes win in every metric out there, so when the Committee ranks the best teams as they are today, why is Ohio State ahead of Iowa?

ANSWER: "the eye test"

The Committee will tell you that they use "the eye test" to help determine where teams should be ranked, but what they should do is admit that they are doing the same thing that the AP does, and that's projecting rankings.

This is what is wrong with rankings today. The CFP should be stepping back and letting the stats and facts speak for themselves instead of injecting their own form of bias and disguising it as "the eye test". I'm not saying that Ohio State isn't better than Iowa, but I can say with 100% certainty that Iowa has made a better case for itself so far. Ohio State hasn't played a single team that is ranked in the Top 25, while Iowa has already beaten two!

If somebody else sees this differently please feel free to explain.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree

Nov 11, 2015, 3:22 PM

Doesn't make sense to penalize other teams for weak schedules and then put Ohio St #3. Ohio St's results so far are very similar to Houston, who they rank #24.

This crowd is indifferent until we start to get burned by it,

Nov 11, 2015, 3:25 PM

whether that be this year or next.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

What crowd? All you read on here is outrage about the

Nov 11, 2015, 3:30 PM

Playoff Committee format. I doubt you'd find another fanbase in the country who could have their team ranked #1 and STILL be complaining like we do that the system is extremely flawed.

null

Because usually the team ranked #1 is one that benefits

Nov 11, 2015, 8:47 PM

from the system.

We know we will never be accepted among the blue bloods, regardless of what we do in the future. We're like Oregon. We will always be seen as an outsider and a temporary fixture, given no room for error and no benefit of the doubt.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno, the feeling about SEC bias is pretty strong

Nov 11, 2015, 8:49 PM [ in reply to What crowd? All you read on here is outrage about the ]

throughout the country, and many non-SEC schools may have done the same thing in our position.

GO TIGERS

Re: My Issue With CFP Committee

Nov 11, 2015, 3:34 PM

not sure that the committee isn't using the 2014 national championship in OSU's body of work.

They still have a ton of players from that team last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Issue With CFP Committee

Nov 11, 2015, 5:11 PM

Maybe they are, but that's not what they tell us they are using. Bottom line, we are being hosed and getting the same old system that we had under the BCS. When I say we I am referring to us as college football fans, Clemson aside. The only reason Clemson is #1 is because the CFP can't build a case to keep them out. I'm happy as a Clemson fan, but as a fan of college football I feel lied to, and in just the second year!

Hate to break up this 'woe is us' party but

Nov 11, 2015, 7:47 PM

in case you haven't noticed, they have us at #1. I don't give a rat's ### who else they put where. Jeff Long said today that the committtee feels "strongly" that Clemson holds the #1 spot.

That's winning in my book, making me a big fan of the CFP.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to break up this 'woe is us' party but

Nov 11, 2015, 8:06 PM

I think you missed the point here. I'm excited as you-know-what that our Tigers are #1, but I'm just as disappointed in the system that has determined that a OSU team that has done absolutely nothing on the field this year is better than a team like Iowa. Take Baylor for example too. Baylor hasn't even played a team with a winning record. So their schedule is backloaded? So what! It's not about what they might do, or even what we think they might do. The BCS and the AP rankings were and are based on projections and bias. That's what we were supposed to get rid of with the CFP, but instead it is dressed up, slapped with some make up, and paraded all over as something it's not. Baylor and Ohio State have less of a resume than even anyone in the Top 25 and should be ranked as such!

I know they say they start over each year ... but I think

Nov 11, 2015, 8:00 PM

reigning champion still gets points. Give it time. It will work itself out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One factor the committee will NOT admit to,but it is obvious

Nov 11, 2015, 8:19 PM

The bias toward the traditional BRAND NAME teams, namely Bama, ND & OhSt. Each of these teams are ranked much higher than most any other team would be, with their respective resumes. A couple others that would get the similar benefit if their records were better, are Michigan & USC.

Especially look at Bama. How many other teams in the country could lose AT HOME, to a three-loss team, look very ordinary against an average Tennessee, but handily beat an overrated UGA & LSU, and sit at #2.

I am torn between hoping Bama gets knocked out of the playoff with a loss, or hoping we get to meet them in the playoff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One factor the committee will NOT admit to,but it is obvious

Nov 11, 2015, 8:32 PM

The only problem with the Alabama argument is that statistically they have produced results that are second only to Clemson. 'Bama is 6-1 vs winning teams with four of those wins against Power 5 teams. They also have wins against two Top 25 teams (LSU and Miss St.)

I don't mean to sound like a SEC homer or anything, just being as objective as possible.

Still, the previous week the CFP had the Tide in the Top 4, even though Florida, Michigan St., and Iowa all had a better resume at the time, exposing the SEC bias right out of the gate. Had

There should only be one CFP Poll - the last one.

Nov 11, 2015, 8:36 PM

The NCAA Basketball Tournament committee doesn't meet every week all year and release a "if the tournament were right now," update. It's stupid.

Let the AP and Coaches poll do what they've always done and generate media talking points and casual interest, and meet ONE time after ALL the games have been played and determine who the best four teams are using concrete criteria like conference championships, head-to-head results, strength of FINAL schedule, instead of the perception of the strength of a schedule, etc. Eye test should only be a tie-breaker between two very similar teams.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There should only be one CFP Poll - the last one.

Nov 11, 2015, 8:44 PM

Wish TNet had a +500 button or a two thumbs up. Finally somebody who I COMPLETELY agree with!

The AP is such a joke that it produces rankings before ANYONE plays even the first game! I don't know why they do seeing as how they always get exposed for the frauds they are when USC (the real one) loses two games in the first four weeks against nobody teams. Or when an unnamed SEC team (almost) loses to a FCS team. Or when a reigning national champion goes to the wire with every second rate team on their schedule.

I could go on FOREVER!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic