Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My prediction
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,112

My prediction

Nov 29, 2018, 9:39 AM

My prediction is that the first year that Clemson is sitting at number 5 or 6 in the CFP rankings, a lot of people who are Clemson fans will suddenly begin to like the idea of an 8 team playoff.

It might look a little different when we are on the outside looking in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should already be 8. The 5 major conference champions...

Nov 29, 2018, 9:44 AM

(no matter their record)plus 3 at large. Only discussion needed is over the 3 at large. Conference championship games are a defacto round 1 of the playoff (if you win, you are in).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't want a CFP with Northwestern and Pitt, thank you.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:53 AM

When people talk about destroying what makes college football special, this is what they mean. High profile out of conference games would mean basically nothing, so why schedule them? The 'every game matters,' aspect of college football would be dead.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My prediction

Nov 29, 2018, 9:46 AM

My prediction: When college football cuts to an 11 game regular season to allow for extra playoff games and we lose a home game every year, our athletic department might want to go back to 4.

Miss a playoff appearance a few times because of less spots or miss a home game every season?

I don't know what the answer to making an 8 team playoff might be, but I'm not in favor of anything that makes the Tigers play in Death Valley one less time per year.

Nov 29, 2018, 1:14 PM

Me either

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

An 8-team playoff is the only "fair" solution.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:54 AM

But the world ain't fair.

Especially when it comes to that filthy lucre.

Re: An 8-team playoff is the only

Nov 29, 2018, 1:17 PM

People are going to complain no matter how big or little the playoffs are. I think they should leave it as is, but somehow make the bowl programs stronger. Right now any bowl outside the playoffs feels minor. Don’t know if they need to market them better to show the hierchy or put more money in the bowls starting at the top (not playoffs)

Message was edited by: jeancooper®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jean, you justified why

Nov 29, 2018, 2:06 PM

There's value in the 8-team play-off. It would give four more bowls greater relevance...the games of which could be played two weeks from the last game, thereby keeping at least two weeks and, most likely three weeks before the semi-finals. There are currently 8 teams that are 6-6 that no one will watch in bowl season.

The 8 format will definitely bring attention. Also, if so inclined, the losers of the 1st round could go to another bowl, if the first round was done on the current CCG weekend. There are lots of realistic possibilities, in my view...and plenty of bowl sites where travel can be reasonable, though not entirely. There are plenty of bowls in California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida...and even Detroit could work. I suspect the most significant factor in choosing CFP sites would be the presence of a domed stadium (other than in CA/AZ).

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 9:56 AM

Boy, your really going out on a limb with that prediction - notradomus

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 1:42 PM

Four playoff teams are fine. Many fans waited 36 years between football national titles. They would get over not being in the top four some years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,112
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic