Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
National Championship Ticket Prices Continue to Drop
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

National Championship Ticket Prices Continue to Drop

Jan 4, 2016, 8:29 AM

For those fans still looking for tickets, they are getting cheaper! On Stubhub upper deck tickets are posted for under $500 and lower deck tickets (end zone) at just over $600 (before fees). The best deals right now are on eBay. Lots of Alabama fans offering tickets. Upper deck have been sold for just over $500 and lower deck for mid $600s (no fees). Face value on these tickets are $425 and $550, respectively. Lots of auctions with tickets above $1,000 have ended with no bid. The are 2 upper deck for sale now offered at $900 with no bid. It is a buyers market Tiger fans. I predict tickets will be selling for below face value before long. The prices posted on TigerNet are not reflective of where tickets are changing hands.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What !.. Thanks alot iptay. . Making me pay $450

Jan 4, 2016, 8:36 AM

Now I can't sell and make profit. . Evil iptay. . Shameon you. . Angry waiving hands in air.

bunch of Angry emocons here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

You pretty much have to be a top 2-3%er in SC to have

Jan 4, 2016, 9:39 AM

any hope of going to AZ. Husband. wife and two kids need around 4-6K to make the trip, with airfare, food, hotel, tickets, etc.

Sure, some people will spend 10% or more of their average yearly household income to make this trip, and that would be the price an AVERAGE SC family would pay. If they bought 4 season tickets and donated to IPTAY, you could tack on another 10-15%. That means for the AVERAGE SC family (2 kids + 2 adults), they would end up spending 20% or so on Clemson football.

Keeping all of this in mind.....

Our AD is adding a new, $55,000,000 football facility to replace another $50,000,000+ facility built for the same purpose less than 10 years ago, and only finished completely this year. That's around $100,000,000 spent on football facilities geared to players, coaches, AND attracting recruits. In a different market, and in a different time, this could be a recoverable expense from the fans. Get better recruits, win NC's and more games, become a national power, and the value of seats climbs, bringing in more money. BUT, you see the numbers above. The X factor is TV revenue, which will be the only hope of recovering these expenses. Nothing has been done to add another seat to the stadium, and the math just isn't there for a ticket price increase, or IPTAY donations to increase to a level, with steady seating, to lift revenue $100,000,000.

My grandfather joined IPTAY on day 1. Was an IPTAY member his whole life. Had good seats for 50+ years. Never missed a game. He was a farmer. My father graduated in 65, and has been an IPTAY member since then. He has not missed many games until recently. I joined IPTAY in 1999 when I graduated. But given the costs today, my grandfather could not have afforded a lifetime of Clemson football. My father can barely afford it now. I don't see all of these facility upgrades being paid for by a concurrent overall increase in support from fans. Maybe TV can be the difference, but that would be the only possibility as I see it.

My grandfather never dreamed of spending 20% or even 10% of his household income on Clemson football. As much as he loved it, he would not be spending this if he were alive today. And for those who want to talk about inflation (accurately), in 1935 an IPTAY donation of $10 was the equivalent of around $170 today. In 1935 the average family, even back then, could join IPTAY, watch every home game, for less than 1% of their net AVERAGE yearly income.

I hope we win, and I hope we/ACC/whatever get a sweet TV deal, because the fans have certainly changed, and they are about to tap out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You pretty much have to be a top 2-3%er in SC to have

Jan 4, 2016, 9:44 AM

Good prospective. Alumni are still paying college loans. Family's still have day-to-day expenses. Really it's up to our fans out west to show up and cheer on our tigers!

Go tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TV is the real unknown for me. Maybe we're on solid ground

Jan 4, 2016, 9:52 AM

because of it. I certainly hope so because I see problems in the next 10+ years if TV doesn't pull in a LOT of money. When you calculate the price of a season ticket (x4 for me), the IPTAY donation needed to get those seats, and the gas/etc. to get to Clemson, it's a strain, even for a wealthy person in SC. I just don't see the "fans" picking up the bill.

Maybe if Clemson was in a large city, was a larger school with a larger alumni base, etc. things would be different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blame taxes and not the school

Jan 4, 2016, 10:09 AM [ in reply to You pretty much have to be a top 2-3%er in SC to have ]

I'm not a top 3% by any means, but I'm getting out there. Driving out west isn't all that much. I've waited my entire life! How you justify the cost and manage your money is up to you, but don't try to twist this. It's a once in a lifetime experience and some will choose to go and others will not.

Friends of mine didn't purchase ACCCG or Orange Bowl tickets just to save for this one. We all do what we gotta do. Some will yell loud from home and others will sacrifice and go out West. Don't hate on those who go out there though, that's just jealously.

Re: Blame taxes and not the school

Jan 4, 2016, 10:36 AM

Hardly think that taxes have much to do with the high cost of national championship tickets. This is pretty simple supply and demand stuff at work. Basically, these tickets appeal to a wider audience than almost any bowl game in CFB history because its a playoff now, and it marketed itself well. Like the superbowl, a lot of tickets are allotted to various corporate sponsors, etc. So, after taking a bunch of tickets off the top, there are even fewer tickets to be sold fans of the teams that are competing. Couple that with the fact that the tickets are highly desirable for fans of those teams and you have a classic situation where there is high demand, low supply and therefore higher prices.

Re: Blame taxes and not the school

Jan 4, 2016, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Blame taxes and not the school ]

Amen to that. Wish I could go

I don't understand what this has to do with the

Jan 4, 2016, 10:39 AM [ in reply to You pretty much have to be a top 2-3%er in SC to have ]

National Championship game. IPTAY can't control the cost of the flights or hotels out there. They can't control what you spend on food and/or gas. They can't even control the ticket price for the National Championship. The face value of the ticket is set by the CFP and the game. They simply get an allotment to sell to you. What do you expect them to do? Buy the ticket at face value and sell it to you at a loss?
IPTAY can't control any of your costs for going out to the National Championship.

You can talk about the costs of attending home games, sure. But, in my opinion, the price at Clemson for watching live sports is pretty median.

Re: National Championship Ticket Prices Continue to Drop

Jan 4, 2016, 9:56 AM

My guess is that a lot of Clemson fans in South Carolina will be making the trip. I also guess that a lot of that trip will be funded by spending their future inherantance monies. Just a guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still need 2 tickets but I am affording this by

Jan 4, 2016, 11:02 AM

using accumilated airline miles to purchase flights for my daughter and I. We are staying 1 night.

I have literally considered taking out camping gear, but found a reasonably priced hotel at the airport for 1 night.
We will buy food at the grocery store or eat cheap like Chipotle/Subway.

Now the tickets are a flipping shame. We should in no way be looking at $450 face value for crappy seats. That has been the hold up obviously. But for me, if we find tickets at face value and decide to go, it will be knowing that this is something you cannot "buy" every year. Who knows when we get the chance again.

So for us, a family of 2, it will cost about $1250, with the bulk of that being tix.

Whatever the case, go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: National Championship Ticket Prices Continue to Drop

Jan 4, 2016, 11:24 AM

ms midland and I did the ACCCG and Orange Bowl but will not make it to the NCG. Our kids are going. Both are Clemson grads and are lucky to be in a position to get to go. Go Tigers!

If you're looking for tickets or flights..

Jan 4, 2016, 11:40 AM

Prices may drop a bit but you still need to take into consideration the fees from these ridiculous broker sites. I use seatgeek.com which incorporates these fees and has all the tickets sites in its search engine.

Cheapest seat in the house is $606 with fees included, upper deck of course.

My advice if you're looking for tickets, check out Ebay with the buy it now or best offer auctions. I offered a guy and worked him down and got two lowers in the end zone for $650 a piece. Luckily I am funding this trip through airline miles and credit card points.

And if you're flying, fly to vegas and use hotwire for a car rental... cheap.

Best of luck to you all and go tigers.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic