Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't understand the injuries debate/excuse... would it be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 2,620

I don't understand the injuries debate/excuse... would it be

Nov 16, 2014, 2:54 PM

accurate to say that the real effect of all our "injuries" is that we squeak by the Cuse's and BC's on our schedule, rather than blow them out?

I mean... with our studs the last few years, we blow everyone out but still lose to FSU and SCU. This year, we have injuries, so we squeak by teams, but still lose to FSU (and likely SCU)

Not a "bash" or "fire" post... I'm just trying to figure out the injuries argument. Other than GT (I have no idea what that was), we still win the ones we should and lose the ones we normally do.

Is that not right?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Seems to be the pattern, don't it?

Nov 16, 2014, 2:58 PM

The next few years will determine if Dabo has "peaked" or if beating ranked teams most of the time is possible.

You are correct sir.

Nov 16, 2014, 2:59 PM

I think most of it has to do with the outlook for the SC game. If we don't figure something out quick it will be 6 in a row but SOS could go to Florida and that would be problem solved.

Re: You are correct sir.

Nov 16, 2014, 6:18 PM

And yours

In your heart of hearts would you say without

Nov 16, 2014, 3:01 PM

Watson being injured yesterday we win that game?

Let's expand that to without Watson getting hurt in the Louisville game we not only have the number 1 D in the land but also one of the top O's in the land?

Can one player mean so much? Yes. When your backup can't hit the side of a barn and your O-line struggles to land a block. I would say talent or back-up talent may mean more than injuries and we don't have it because (of injuries, dismissals, and other attrition).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dont really understand what you're saying... But

Nov 16, 2014, 3:05 PM

we have the athletes to beat GT, I don't care who is behind center. They scored ONE offensive TD.

Would you agree this is not just about this season? There's no excuse for us not having a running game to take pressure off CS. None.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

gallman had 82 on 14

Nov 16, 2014, 3:08 PM

we were driving down 13 i think
and started passing again
we were running successfully at that point and quit

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes....

Nov 16, 2014, 3:14 PM

Running was working all day. Cole would top it off with an interception

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The O-Line/running back problem has been with

Nov 16, 2014, 3:10 PM [ in reply to dont really understand what you're saying... But ]

us for a while.

Gurley and Marshall would have been great additions. But even they would have to put up with shoddy blocking.

This year our O-line is one of the worst I have ever seen. They miss blocks, they get over powered, and they have no push up front.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

would you agree that our run game is primarily based on

Nov 16, 2014, 3:16 PM

deception and misdirection, and not driving people off the ball?

That's where Chad has tweaked his system to differ from AU. IMO

Yeah. And here again is the question--how does

Nov 16, 2014, 3:21 PM

Auburn or Duke for that matter put together an O-line better than Clemson? Why don't they have injuries? Why don't they have to move people around to fit spots? It has been the missing component here since about 1990.

And it is frustrating. Very frustrating.

I'm not sure ours is as bad as we say...

Nov 16, 2014, 3:26 PM

when your run game is based on deception, and it's not working, who do you think will get the initial blame? OL.

For example.... part of Morris' deception includes showing pass (high hat), to hold the LBs and safeties. When the deception is blown up, that's not on the OL.

True but missed blocks and being overpowered in the

Nov 16, 2014, 3:32 PM

trenches shouldn't happen as much as they happen with us.

And I agree with you that 4-9 is a stat that we all need to be concerned with. If we are going to be relevant we have to find ways to go out and get big wins. And that means having the mental fortitude to walk into an opposing stadium and fight for what we want and not cave in to the pressure.

IMO it's scheme, not technique or talent so much

Nov 16, 2014, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Yeah. And here again is the question--how does ]

our OL almost NEVER gain ground with their first step, it's usually a parallel or drop step (to pull)

that's a choice by our coaching staff to run a certain scheme and once learned and run 98% of the time it's hard to change

the only time we gain any yardage with an RB is when we run the inside trap

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All that is straight up coaching.

Nov 16, 2014, 3:37 PM [ in reply to The O-Line/running back problem has been with ]

No excuse as to how our OL has been since Dabo took over. I'll give him and the staff the first year or two, but my lowered. It's past time to have it at least serviceable. I know we've lost some guys to injury and transfers and whatever, but someone needs to own it and fix it. It should be on Caldwell and Morris, but it, at least to me, has escalated up to Dabo's responsibility. I know we have recruits coming in and yada yada yada. It shouldn't take this #### long when the issue has been so glaring.

Not trying to attack you. It's just very frustrating.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Re: dont really understand what you're saying... But

Nov 16, 2014, 3:15 PM [ in reply to dont really understand what you're saying... But ]

York: It's called recruiting which is at the core of our problem IMO and that responsibility lies with the coaching staff. The lack of an OL is an excuse. The root cause is a lack of recruiting.

Yes, and that indicates....

Nov 16, 2014, 3:18 PM

that we are at a higher plateau than we were with Tommy Bowden. We don't lose to the bad teams (aka most of the ACC), but we're usually not competitive with the better teams. I will give Dabo credit for a couple of nice bowl wins. That's a definite step above Bowden. During the regular season, not so much.

Is that going to change in the next 5 years with Dabo? What think ye?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did at one time... and I was a big Morris fan when he was

Nov 16, 2014, 3:21 PM

at TU and when he first came here...

but, without getting into a long football explanation..., I'm not sure that changes given out current offensive identity, or lack thereof.

I think he's tweaked it away from what he learned from Gus too much .

The difference between Dabo and TB

Nov 16, 2014, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Yes, and that indicates.... ]

TB gives you 7-9 wins a season. Dabo gives you 9-11 wins a season. That a big difference in my book.

Like I said...

Nov 16, 2014, 3:45 PM

a higher plateau. A plateau, nonetheless. Beat an above-average to average coot team on a regular basis, beat a good FSU program more than once every 5 years, and you begin climbing again.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey, we came a lot closer to FSU anyhoo***

Nov 16, 2014, 3:19 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what I believe . . . even with the injuries, the

Nov 16, 2014, 3:27 PM

players we put on the field, overall, are much more talented than the ones GT put on the field. The same with Cuse, BC, Louisville, and WF. We should have won all of those handily.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

yes

Nov 16, 2014, 3:28 PM

so shat does that leave when, with either injuries or better teams, the talent gap closes?

What does that leave? Not sure I understand your kweshun.***

Nov 16, 2014, 3:48 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

sorry... I'm saying that when talent is close, either b/c

Nov 16, 2014, 4:22 PM

it's a good team were playing, or injuries... then coaching is at a premium

Thanks - agreed.***

Nov 16, 2014, 5:34 PM

- H. L. Mencken

oh Lord, they're bringing out the "TALENT" argument….

Nov 16, 2014, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Here's what I believe . . . even with the injuries, the ]

hide the women and children!

This must be the stupidest collection of nitwits ever, to get on here and suggest that they have done a detailed comparative review of Ga Tech versus Clemson at each position on the team for the glorified, yet wholly undefinable,"Talent"!

You know, about 100 years ago when scientists were asked to explain what was in space they created an element called 'ether'. According to them it filled the vast emptiness as surely as if it had form and function. Startlingly though, they could not evidence any actual experimental results done on ether, nor provide any ether to test. Well, now we refer to 'ether' as dark matter and dark energy, and scientists actively try to test these concepts.

"Talent" is the great 'ether" of football numbskulls; it can't be defined, seen, nor quantified, yet whole seasons have been lost for the lack of it, and players have been put to pedestals for it.

Would it be that the "posters" on this site who profess to be "fans" of Clemson would have as much "talent" in their own cognitive perceptions of the game of football as they profess to see in the players on the Clemson team. Wow; then we'd really have a fan site worthy of the school.

Lighten up - it's just an opinion, and it's my opinion that

Nov 16, 2014, 4:20 PM

we are much more talented than everybody we've faced so far with the exception of UGA and FSU. Just for the record, talent is not ether; it's evident, observable, and measurable to some extent.

- H. L. Mencken

We are, and it's not close***

Nov 16, 2014, 4:23 PM

if the only variables were winning & losing, then maybe so..

Nov 16, 2014, 3:52 PM

but that's not the only things that intelligent people consider...

So I think the reason for pointing out "injuries" is to note that this is just another factor that has weighed against this team this year in addition to the already knowns:

- loss of experienced talent at WR;
- loss of key players - both from an experience and a talent standpoint - on the O-line;
- loss of a RB who had proven himself in this system, and had the suddenness to the hole that the system requires;
- loss of experience at QB.

The injuries simply compounded this:

- the team has obviously missed Zac Brooks more than could have been imagined - in experience with the system, experience at the deep-back position, and experience in protections;
- the team has obviously missed Sam Cooper as a blocking TE more than could have been imagined as the O-line simply doesn't have the players to sustain an explosive running game threat without the extra blocker;
- the loss of Charone Peake at WR took away experience and explosiveness at a position already missing Sammy and Nuk and Tay Bryant from the last 2 years;
- the loss of Guillermo has created a lack of options at Center, and Norton has been unable to step up his game;
- the loss of Watson has hurt the opportunity to improve the QB position in certain areas that this system likes to take advantage of.

Clemson didn't lose to FSU because we're supposed to - remember that Dabo has beaten them twice already. Clemson lost to FSU due to a number of freak circumstances that combined with the already known issues and the injuries to overcome any positives we could bring to bear on the game. These would include but not be limited to:

- a hike over the QB's head from the opponent's 1 years line;
- Cole failing to hit a wide-open Leggett with a 6-yard pass for what would have been a TD;
- the failure of the refereeing crew to give us a TD right before the mis-snap;
- Davidson's needless fumble inside the opponent's 20 with less than 2 minutes to go;
- Ammon Lakip shanking a 23-yard FG;
- Mac Alexander falling down to create a long TD at a time when FSU had shown no ability to go the length of the field;

etc. ad nauseum.

Had any one of these things not happened, Clemson wins. End of story.

With regard FSU and the injuries, could the presence of Peake or Brooks have proven the difference in that game? Who knows? But one thing for sure, it didn't help not having them playing on the road at a team that has now won 26 games in a row.

And I find it hard to suggest that our loss to UGA this year is "one we're supposed to lose" since, well, according to unrevised pumper-adapted history, we beat them last year.

As for losing to USuCk - well we have't lost to them yet this year except for in the dark and dank, hopeless little souls of the TNET Naysayer Crew. Lord, when I get on this site these days all I can think of is the Gollum from the movie Hobbit.

My, my, little friends - Exiled2, badb, Tiger Woods, et al - have you gone and lost your 'precious'?

Replies: 29
| visibility 2,620
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic