Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don’t understand sitting out bowl games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

I don’t understand sitting out bowl games

Dec 20, 2018, 10:25 PM

You can get hurt in any game. Why not skip the last 2 or 3 if that’s the case?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I somewhat agree

Dec 20, 2018, 10:35 PM

Then I remember Muscrap having Z. Bailey in the game up by 25 against Akron. Broke leg...see ya several rounds later in the draft.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Then you're a quiter if you sit games during regular season.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:41 PM

But when it comes to an insignificant bowl game I really can't blame the kids if they have a legit chance at the NFL. Just my opinion.

Re: I don’t understand sitting out bowl games

Dec 20, 2018, 10:43 PM

Bosa skipped the last three to four games after minor injury - expected to go #1, at least top 5. Expect you will see more and more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2018, 11:10 PM

if you are scared dont play football. TEAM GAME. ALL IN, or out No respect for guys sitting.
THAT IS MY OPINION!
Post all you want. It will not change my view. If a player refuses to play, he forfeits his sc
holly on the spot. Thanks

G0 TIGERS

I think that is what happens. You lose your funding.

Dec 21, 2018, 8:59 AM

But.. things are generally paid up per semester so .

How is the fast food industry working out for you ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 20, 2018, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I don’t understand sitting out bowl games ]

They will skip all of the bowls aside from the playoff games. I agree with them. They have their whole life to worry about and they are wasting chance of injury to play in what are basically exhibition games.

Dec 21, 2018, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: I don’t understand sitting out bowl games ]

From what I've heard Bosa was expected to be out until December with the injury so he was going to miss the entire regular season anyway.

Then there's first round draft picks that opt to

Dec 20, 2018, 11:24 PM

come back FOR A WHOLE SEASON because their a different breed!

Glad Dabo recruits men with character, fiber, dedication, responsibility, and selflessness.

Re: Then there's first round draft picks that opt to

Dec 20, 2018, 11:36 PM

What about our fist rounders that leave early like Deshaun? He is pretty cool too. Also, we didn't have any guaranteed first rounders return. They didn't get first round draft grades.

Dec 21, 2018, 10:00 AM

The key there is guaranteed. They are very conservative with the draft grades because if the kid falls back, they don't want to be responsible for the kid coming out.

At some point this will happen at clemson.. and tnet

Dec 21, 2018, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Then there's first round draft picks that opt to ]

Will turn on the player like a box of chocolates

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 21, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Then there's first round draft picks that opt to ]

All of those guys have great character, and none of them had to come back, but they weren't locks to be 1st round guys last year. Also, it's hard to say we're immune to players sitting our bowl games when we've been to the CFP 4 years in a row, and even then we've recently heard our players saying some guys weren't focused on the game last year, and we heard similar in the first NC game against Bama a few years ago.

If some guys weren't focused on big games like that then what makes anyone think they wouldn't have considered sitting out the Belk Bowl or something?

Or Just Skip the season like clowney did***

Dec 21, 2018, 8:07 AM

Dec 21, 2018, 8:14 AM

I would think they should play if they are in the CFP, but otherwise let them skip. Only the 4 teams in the CFP would benefit from them playing in the bowl games. The other bowl games are just games for entertainment and not all that significant. Maybe it will eliminate some bowl games as there are just too many now IMO. There are enough bowls that even teams like USUC can get into a bowl game. Did FSU make a bowl game? :)

That is because you are not a NFL prospect

Dec 21, 2018, 8:56 AM

If you were, maybe you would feel different .

I'm not so I can only speculate.

Maybe you play out the season to win a div or conference. If that is off the table maybe you play to get your team in the best bowl game you can. Once that is over you don't see the value in winning a bowl game so you jet.

Or maybe you have warrants for your arrest in Shreveport so you don't wanna go.

Maybe you haven't spent Christmas with your grandmama in 3 years .

Maybe your finaly tired or the whole college experience ...and you are ready to move on.

Maybe there is a keg waiting for you ..

Dec 21, 2018, 9:04 AM

To me a bowl game outside of the CFP is a reward for a good season, and sitting it out is like deciding to not include yourself in the postseason reward. Sitting out regular season games would be leaving your team when they can still improve their bowl position, and beat your rival at the end. Also, the bowls are played a good 3-4 weeks after the regular season ends. If you hurt yourself in the regular season then you have those extra 3-4 weeks to heal and maybe you can still be ready before the draft depending on the injury. If you get hurt in the bowl game then you have less time to get better.

And you never will.***

Dec 21, 2018, 9:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see both sides of this

Dec 21, 2018, 9:28 AM

Being a middle aged dude I can see this one both ways. I get the argument for having made a commitment to play for a team, and how one should follow through on that commitment.

On the flip side though, if I'm being projected in the first round and an injury could cost me millions of dollars based on where I get picked, I'm gonna be thinking hard about whether or not I want to play. I like to think I have done well for myself with my Clemson degree and working professionally as an engineer for many years, but I haven't made millions of dollars much less done it on one fail swoop. Invest that money right there in your early 20s, and you are basically set for life if you live within your means.

I get it, but as a college football fan I hate it

Dec 21, 2018, 9:53 AM

The problem now is that everyone considers any bowl that's not a playoff bowl "meaningless." Think of all the great bowl games that have been played that didn't have a national championship on the line. Those days are officially gone as more and more top players leave the team before a bowl game. It's the equivalent of Nuk sitting out our Chick-Fil-A Bowl or Sammy sitting out our Orange Bowl. Would we have even won those games without them? Think about what those wins meant to our program.

I understand players don't want to risk their health but it's FOOTBALL. You grind for an entire season with your brothers then decide the final game isn't important enough for your time and you might get hurt. I hate that mentality. I just wish players wanted to compete and lay their heart on the line for their team. If you're scared of getting hurt, don't play football.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic