Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Somebody explain to me why a bunch of guys in elite shape,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,016

Somebody explain to me why a bunch of guys in elite shape,

Mar 13, 2020, 1:31 PM

or close to it, could not have played a tournament in arenas without fans??? Even on the very off chance they would have contracted the virus during a tournament with no crowds, they would have recovered just fine! I thought the whole thing we were trying to avoid was large crowd gatherings!! With no fans it would have been odd, but an extremely low risk situation. Extremely. So you are going to deny them, the athletes, the opportunity to still play in the NCAA tournament??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Somebody explain to me why a bunch of guys in elite shape,

Mar 13, 2020, 1:37 PM

Consider that teams and support staff have to go through airports, as do journalists and TV personnel.
Airplanes and airports could be the biggest transmitter of viruses as people come back to the US through them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is more about...if one player got sick, and their lawyer

Mar 13, 2020, 1:44 PM

could make the case that they were FORCED to play....they could bankrupt the university.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nailed it

Mar 13, 2020, 1:46 PM

I suppose in large part is the fact that athetes could

Mar 13, 2020, 1:45 PM

become infected, show no symptoms due to superior health, and spread at home to those older and more vulnerable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2020, 1:47 PM

? To keep it from spreading .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2020, 1:56 PM

Thankfully reasonable people have made reasonable decisions. I would love to be sitting in my den now and watching the Players Championship but I accept the decision. Sports are not the end all be all of life. A

Who would coach them?***

Mar 13, 2020, 1:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think their fitness has anything to do w/catching it

Mar 13, 2020, 2:31 PM

Remember Michael Jordan catching the regular ol' flu several years ago and still playing?

The fitness level would go to determining how sick they got and how long they had it, but I don't think it would preclude them from getting sick at all. Just look at the two guys from the Utah Jazz.

Mar 13, 2020, 2:37 PM

I think I thought like you. But what are you hoping to accomplish by playing games?

But let's take best case scenario: say Rudy Gobert--the Trigger Man--spreads the virus to half his team.

Boom. Quarantine the Nuggets. Cancel or postpone their games. As the virus spreads, do the same to each team until the entire NBA is suspended. When the suspension is lifted, how do you know the shutdown was administered fairly?

Right now, Pacific coast teams are in the bullseye for Corona transmission (more than the other college teams.) You cannot presume that Gonzaga, for instance, is unaffected. Can you quarantine Gonzaga during March Madness?

So I think the various administration people went straight to the endgame and asked, "if we play our season until the championship, can we do it fairly and maintain the integrity of our sport?" Since the answer for everyone was No, the next question was, "so why continue at all, since we are putting people at risk?"

Summary: best case scenario, you play a few more games before the virus becomes common around here. Then you cancel.
Worst case scenario: because you played games, you helped spread the virus to quiet corners of the country that would have been spared for the next 4-6 weeks.

Keep in mind that the Italian medical community says they don't expect the pandemic to peak for 4 more weeks.

All decisions are made with one thing in mind: liability.

Mar 13, 2020, 5:33 PM

Period.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,016
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic