Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: ACC announces new six-year football bowl game partnerships
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Football Update: ACC announces new six-year football bowl game partnerships

Jul 18, 2013, 11:08 AM

ACC announces new six-year football bowl game partnerships

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one here will be happy with ACC bowls, but

Jul 18, 2013, 11:19 AM

I don't think this is a bad line-up.

The bowl in New York is obviously a function of a clear marketing strategy to make New York City "ACC Country". I sure hope we never play in it, but it's not a bad thing to be there. By the same token, I'm surprised we haven't heard that we're locked up with the Military Bowl.

The other bowls are accessible to ACC fans for traveling, and I think that's a good thing. The exception is El Paso...not sure why we're hanging on to this relationship. If ACC fans are going to have to travel west, I would think aligning with bowls in California would be more attractive. Didn't we have a brief relationship with the Emerald Bowl or whatever in San Diego?

null

Re: No one here will be happy with ACC bowls, but

Jul 18, 2013, 11:38 AM

I think we have a great bowl lineup. I know a lot of people just look at the name on the bowl and think because it was low class before that it is low class now.

But after the Orange bowl we are going to have the ACC# 2 vs SEC # 2 more often than not and ACC # 2 vs Big 12 #3 in the other years.

If you remove the names and the associations we have mentally and just look at the match ups then the ACC has really improved its stock. the match ups vs the big east have been replaced with SEC and Big 10 match ups.

Also I think the Sun bowl relationship brings some benefits. Its our only matchup versus Pac 12 for obvious reasons. so that's a bit of a novelty. Also its a national broadcast on CBS. which is one of the few bowls not on ESPN along with the Gator bowl. Personally I like it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

I agree----the peach loss hurts a bit

Jul 18, 2013, 11:44 AM

and of course the cotton has also moved on....Not sure it could be much better given whats out there....

Our aspirations are higher now anyway....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: I agree----the peach loss hurts a bit

Jul 18, 2013, 12:32 PM

What happens to the Peach-fil-a Bowl on years it is not in the play off?

I agree with your comments on the The NY bowl game. Makes it a very expensive trip ... It is one of those that if you can afford the trip it would be a great one.

I don't think it's terrible, I don't think it's great

Jul 18, 2013, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: No one here will be happy with ACC bowls, but ]

I agree with MSTiger that the match-ups are a big improvement.

My biggest problem is with the destinations: Not a fan of basically anywhere in Florida (Jax, Orlando, Miami), New York is no place to sit outside in the winter, and I'm not sure what to think of El-Paso because I've never been there. Nashville is awesome (so I'm glad that's still an option), and Charlotte is close for a lot of people, so that's good.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2013, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: No one here will be happy with ACC bowls, but ]

Agree wholeheartedly.

The Sun Bowl is the only bowl not on ESPN/ABC after the Gator switched to ESPN recently. El Paso may not be a great destination but that bowl offers a lot of exposure on New Year's Eve afternoon.

We got our foot (back) in the door with Cap One and Gator

Jul 18, 2013, 11:56 AM [ in reply to No one here will be happy with ACC bowls, but ]

Which is a good start. I'm not thrilled with the Russell Athletic Bowl getting first dibs after Orange, but I also don't see there being a much better choice now that we're not locked into the CFA bowl.

The Capital One Bowl will never have a top 10 team again.

Jul 18, 2013, 3:01 PM

Capital One Bowl will likely be a couple of 9-3 or worse teams.

The Gator Bowl will be lucky to get a team in the top 25.
The Gator Bowl will likely be a couple of 8-4 or worse teams.

Re: The Capital One Bowl will never have a top 10 team again.

Jul 18, 2013, 3:09 PM

It's still better than nothing. Capital One and Gator are both well-established, "big" names in the bowl world.

Jul 18, 2013, 12:15 PM [ in reply to No one here will be happy with ACC bowls, but ]

a great idea that wont work. why would NY city identify w a bunch of southern schools? they hardly identify w SYracuse.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We shall see. The ACC has several good

Jul 19, 2013, 8:53 AM

northeastern schools, including the only BCS team in the state of New York. We also have Notre Dame in everything but football, and five games a year in football. ND is the only program that really moves the needle in NYC with the possible exception of Rutgers.

If we put the basketball tourney there, have a bowl game there and have a bunch of games on the YES network, who knows where it can take us. We have as much of a claim as a Midwestern conference (Big 10) and more than a purely southeastern conference (SEC).

null

Fans on other boards that have gone to the Sun Bowl say

Jul 18, 2013, 12:43 PM [ in reply to No one here will be happy with ACC bowls, but ]

it is a very good bowl trip. They say the experience is surprisingly good because El Paso has always put a lot into that bowl. They have packed crowds no matter who the teams are and you can tell the community cares about the event. It is also a solid spot on CBS national television lineup every year.

I'm glad the ACC is still in that bowl and the matchup vs Pac12 is good exposure all the way out to the west coast. Ga Tech beating Southern Cal last year was a boost to the league reputation.

The Pinstripe Bowl is more like a punishment than a reward

Jul 18, 2013, 1:02 PM [ in reply to No one here will be happy with ACC bowls, but ]

I will be the first to acknwledge that NY is an awesome city to visit, but in late December...not so much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The NFL is playing their Super Bowl in NYC in 2014!

Jul 18, 2013, 1:07 PM

There is no such thing as bad weather...only bad gear.

No more excuses, the ACC is set up for...

Jul 18, 2013, 11:23 AM

3 or 4 football teams to push the national top 5 every year.

We upgraded our tv income, our bowl line-up, our demographics/growth potential, and all we need now is for us, Florida State, Miami and Louisville to push for the national championship. I see a good future for this league.

Can someone list these bowls by pecking order so I

Jul 18, 2013, 11:24 AM

don't have to read this?

:)

God help this lazy country. #### smart phones.

Jul 18, 2013, 11:26 AM

;)

Re: God help this lazy country. #### smart phones.

Jul 18, 2013, 11:33 AM

Haha, ok fair! BUT, I have to say, I can do without all the Swoffie spin and P.R... Can't they just issue a lineup and be done with it?

Re: Can someone list these bowls by pecking order so I

Jul 18, 2013, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Can someone list these bowls by pecking order so I ]

Orange
Russell Ath. (or Cap One if B1G in orange)
Gator/Music City, Belk, Sun, Pinstripe (pool of 4 to be selected on matchups and region)
Most important all bowls played against big 5 conferences.

null

The second teir bowls:

Jul 18, 2013, 11:57 AM

After the selection committee places teams in the Orange, Peach, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls:

ACC #1 goes to Russel/Citrus
ACC #2-5 goes to Gator/Music, Sun, Belk, and Pinstripe
SEC #1 goes to Citrus
SEC #2-5 goes to Outback, Gator, Music, Belk, Houston
Big 10 #1 goes to Citrus
Big 10 #2-4 goes to Outback, Holiday, and Gator/Music
Big 12 #1 goes to Alamo
Big 12 #2 goes to Russel
Pac-12 #1 goes to Alamo
Pac-12 #2 goes to Holiday
Pac-12 #3 goes San Francisco
Pac-12 #4 goes to Sun

The ACC/Notre Dame should have the best post season

Jul 18, 2013, 12:05 PM

record of the 5 major conferences.

This Sucks.

Jul 18, 2013, 12:57 PM

How is the Sun Bowl within all ACC team's geographical
area???? They also are sneakingly (but I see)
trying to weed out Clemson, Florida State, Virginia
Tech, and maybe N. Carolina from coming to Atlanta to
strongly represent the ACC with our fan bases. Plus
the fact that Atlanta is supposedlt projected to be
SEC territory with Ga. Tech sitting smack dab in the
middle of Atlanta. Not to mention Georgia has a very
strong amount of Clemson followers as well. The ACC
needs to start kicking butt in out of conference
competition especially in this region. Do that and
they will realign and correct this bowl situation
yet again.

Re: This Sucks.

Jul 18, 2013, 1:17 PM

The Chick-fil-a is a playoff bowl that means no conference affiliations. It not about the ACC or anything else its about them getting selected to be part of the playoff. The SUN bowl gives the ACC a chance to play the Pac 12. That is good for publicity and something that doesn't happen often. Look at the SEC they replaced the Sugar/Chick-fil-a with the Belk and Houston bowls. I think they ACC did a good job making the best out of the new system. Just having access to the Capital One(4 out of 12 years) and Gator bowl(every other year) again is a huge step forward.

null

I Agree..

Jul 18, 2013, 2:02 PM

Capital One Bowl should be better than the Belk Bowl.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic