Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Can the secondary help keep Clemson's defense at the top of the rankings?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

New Story: Can the secondary help keep Clemson's defense at the top of the rankings?

Apr 29, 2015, 4:05 PM

Can the secondary help keep Clemson's defense at the top of the rankings?

Jayron Kearse and the Clemson defense reached the pinnacle last season, and the only valley they want to reside in this season is Death Valley. What does Kearse say about expectations for this season? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There will probably be little slide in the starters

Apr 29, 2015, 4:36 PM

and maybe even little depth change as you get into 2 deep. But we are not yet as deep all the way as we were in 2014. The line may not quite be up to the same level, but the secondary can make up for that.

Re: There will probably be little slide in the starters

Apr 29, 2015, 7:34 PM

The secondary and LB corps will be very important to stopping the run and getting a pass rush, scheme-wise. Do not downplay the DL though. Lawson will be none less than an All-American and Dodd has the potential to make a name for himself. I know Jarrett, Williams and Watson were studs last year, but Watkins, Reader and Pagano are very comparable and capable to last years rotation. Jabril Robinson and Christian Wilkins will get in the mix and add depth while gaining experience. The secondary is in good hands with Mack, Tank, Baker, Johnson, Green, Edmonds, Wiggins, Kearse, Carter and Fields, who I think will take over the starting opposite CB by week 3. It's tough to reach the #1 defense, but this group will be very comparable IMO.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True our secondary will be the real strength

Apr 29, 2015, 8:49 PM

And I'm only pointing out that we will be close to 2014 most everywhere until you go deeper into the depth chart. Where experience will be more of an issue.

Apr 30, 2015, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Re: There will probably be little slide in the starters ]

You didn't even mention Huggins. This guy is going to make some noise as a freshman. He has that it factor. That no nonsense, no fear, I can't be stop type of mentality. Keep an eye on this kid because he's going to be one newcomer to watch in action. He reminds me of a Warren Sapp type of player who love to have fun while enjoy playing the game.

Apr 30, 2015, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: There will probably be little slide in the starters ]

Our defense will be just as good as last year as far as the starters but the depth is the concern. If we can add good depth during the summer we will be fine as a whole unit. Fields should be able to compete for playing time against Carter, Baker, and Edmonds but the only way he becomes a starter if Tank or Mac gets hurt. Those two corners will get it done and allow Coach V to do a lot of interesting things.

With the exception of any REDSHIRT Seniors

Apr 29, 2015, 8:52 PM [ in reply to There will probably be little slide in the starters ]

Venables will be playing with player that were recruited by him. I like those odds.

Apr 30, 2015, 1:43 AM [ in reply to There will probably be little slide in the starters ]

On point is, this incoming freshman d-line have a great deal of talent to recover from freshman's mistake while they are gaining playing time experience as the season progress.

There will be a drop off in some spots but we are deep enough

Apr 30, 2015, 12:43 PM [ in reply to There will probably be little slide in the starters ]

To minimize it by other spots picking it up. To expect no drop in the DL is unrealistic IMO. But I don't think it will be as significant as some say. We got the boys on roster talent wise they just have to play ball. I think the LB's will be on equal footing with '14. The secondary should be better. Smith and Peters were steady and l'm not knocking either but neither were spectacular. The wild card is the forgotten man MR. TRAVIS BLANKS! He seems to have fallen off o# everyone's radar. I think many forgot how good this guy is. Imo he is the best safety on the roster and that's saying a lot. Johnson and Kearse are both stars. I think Coach V may be able to disguise coverage very well because of the play making ability and ball skills of these 3 guys who at times look like corners in coverage. Between Mack, Cordrea, Carter and Fields I think we're fine at the corners. Then TJ Green, Wiggins, Kearse, Johnson, Blanks holding down the S spots. Throw in Edmund, Baker and a few more youngsters and we're pretty deep in the secondary. Should be fun watching this group grow up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think expecting some dropoff in the defense makes

Apr 29, 2015, 6:15 PM

one a "naysayer." I think it's a very rational expectation.

Re: I don't think expecting some dropoff in the defense makes

Apr 29, 2015, 7:42 PM

Agreed. You can't go up much further if at all. A little drop in the defense, similar special teams play, and a much better offense will make for a better overall team IMO. SPOT THE BALL!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think expecting some dropoff in the defense makes

Apr 30, 2015, 3:29 AM

I agree. Our seasoned secondary can definitely and will keep our D as a corp that still one of the top total D's in the country this coming season. I say... top 15. People f-ning just don't pay attention to the D... outside peoples. But we all know... we all know.

Re: New Story: Can the secondary help keep Clemson's defense at the top of the rankings?

Apr 29, 2015, 6:20 PM

I wonder if the goal is still to be the number one defense in the country again this year. Not having that as a goal could hurt us this year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Can the secondary help keep Clemson's defense at the top of the rankings?

Apr 29, 2015, 11:50 PM

I like how our d is going to look but of course depth on dline won't be as good but can still he great. I hope we do really good and kearse and alaxander decide to stay one more year let mark fields get on his feet on the other corner spot we will be truly nasty!!

Apr 30, 2015, 3:21 AM

Short answer... Aha... of Course they can. Duh...

Dabo said there won't be much of a drop off between

Apr 30, 2015, 1:01 PM

the first team defense last year and the first team this year, he said the biggest drop off will be our depth. Hopefully we can work on that during the summer and a few of those freshman can step up because if the injury bug hits our Dline this year like it hit our Oline last year we will be in trouble. Im hoping one of our freshman Dlineman can make a impact on our defense this season, we are going to need it

We still have coach V and Big Ben

Apr 30, 2015, 8:31 PM

Not worried

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic