Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I decided to weed eat the crud growing behind my back
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

So I decided to weed eat the crud growing behind my back

May 17, 2015, 5:32 PM

fence. About 60 yards long, and I usually clear about 15 feet behind it for good measure. It was so bad it was at the very limits of my 30CC trimmer. I was about to go get the blade. Briers, thorns, weeds, and dog fennel. Lots of it. Anyway, as I had done this numerous times (thrice a year), I wore shorts, shoes with no socks, and a t-shirt and sunglasses. Well, I decided to go a little further into an area I had not whacked in a while. Just as I was finishing I find myself staring face to face with a BIOG, dark green, supremely healthy, oil shining in the sun, outcrop of poison ivy.

I dropped everything, knowing I had likely whacked a good bit already. I was done anyway. Took off clothes and stripped in the garage, went straight to the shower for 30+ minutes. I am 99% sure I have it now on both ankles and calves. Luckily my face seems to have been spared.

Sunnova #####.

In about 2 weeks or so I will go back and roundup anything that's still green and growing. I will douse that whole area with the poison ivy too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Technu to clean the oil off the skin and Calagel for iching.***

May 17, 2015, 5:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So I decided to weed eat the crud growing behind my back

May 17, 2015, 9:26 PM

Find some brush killer with tripclopyr. Roundup is mainly for grass and broadleaf.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here I thought your sneakers, no socks weed whacking story

May 17, 2015, 9:51 PM

was going to end like mine did...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

You hit yourself with it?

May 18, 2015, 10:52 AM

Lawdy. I have never done that, but I'm pretty sure my weed eater would cut right through a pair of jeans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, had it tipped up edging, wasn't paying attention

May 18, 2015, 1:15 PM

Was in a hurry, so I didn't go back and get my actual edger. I stepped and swung at the same time. Found the line. It's fairly shallow, but there's not a lot of cuts, more like torn skin. And when I did it, it was all welted up from being whipped. Not pleasant, but I didn't say any bad words (for which I was proud of myself).

I was wearing shorts and sneakers, not my usual jeans and work boots. Would hate to see what would have happened if I had the plastic bladed trimmer, not just the nylon cord.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

2 words

May 18, 2015, 8:03 AM

Na-palm

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

prettysurethisisoneword***

May 18, 2015, 10:51 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel your pain, but I have no idea how you weedeat

May 18, 2015, 9:37 AM

with shorts on. One day I will invent a remote control weedeater that I can control from the safety of my patio.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It works fine. Hardly a scratch on my legs

May 18, 2015, 10:49 AM

Other than a spot of ####### poison ivy.

Is it impossible to be immune to poison ivy/oak?

May 18, 2015, 9:50 AM

I know I have been in it before, but I have never had a reaction. I pray for your ankles.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

No, some people just don't react to it.***

May 18, 2015, 9:58 AM

#ACCFTS

It's just like allergies

May 18, 2015, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Is it impossible to be immune to poison ivy/oak? ]

It comes and goes. When I was a kid I was devastated by the stuff, several times. Got in my eyes on more than one occasion. I usually had to get steroid shots when it got really bad. Now that I am typing this the next day, I can only see a small spot on one ankle, and it's not itching much. If I were 12 years old, I would be covered. I think it's like allergies. It comes and goes. My father has never had poison ivy in his life to my knowledge. My mother gets it frequently.

samesies

May 18, 2015, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Is it impossible to be immune to poison ivy/oak? ]

i'm pretty sure I could roll around in it without consequence

About 15% are not allergic to poison ivy

May 18, 2015, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Is it impossible to be immune to poison ivy/oak? ]

I think I am in that 15%. I've spent a great deal of time in the woods as a kid and I have been in undergrowth a bunch since then and have never reacted.

I suppose I am also

May 18, 2015, 11:33 AM

Ill run through stretches of single track that its impossible to step without avoiding the stuff. Nothing as of yet. Fingers crossed.

I am normally the guinea pig they send out to survey though because they know I don't react to it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I have never had it either.

May 18, 2015, 11:45 AM

Then again, I have my people take care of these things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

A word of warning, as you age you tend to lose your

May 18, 2015, 1:32 PM [ in reply to About 15% are not allergic to poison ivy ]

'immunity' with repeated exposure. That's what we learned from the esteemed Doctor Roland Schoenike in Forest Plants and has proved true with me. I used to not get the rash, now I do.

Me, too.***

May 18, 2015, 1:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Me too. Never got it until I was 39.

May 18, 2015, 1:54 PM

Now I just have to look at it. So now I wear my dad jeans and crisp denim shirt to keep it from getting on me. Sweat my ####### ### off wearing that ####, but don't care, no poison ivy.

Growing older sux.***

May 18, 2015, 2:07 PM

as you age, your allergy response changes

May 18, 2015, 2:16 PM [ in reply to A word of warning, as you age you tend to lose your ]

I have a friend who got stung by probably 100 bees/wasps/yellow jackets, etc. when we used to play in the woods growing up. Never a problem. When he was about 40 he got stung, went into shock and nearly died.

Likewise, my mother suddenly became allergic to seafood when she was in her 60's. Had eaten fish and shellfish her entire life, basically her favorite food. One day she bought some filleted salmon from the Pig, went home and cooked it and it caused her to be covered in a rash head to toe. Doctor said she had become allergic to fish and had to stop eating it.

Same for poison ivy - you could be immune to it you whole life and one day it could zap you hard. I had it once when I was a kid basically because I covered myself in it while weedeating. But I still shy away from it now because you never know.

Roundup will only kill the leaves on the poison ivy. Get you

May 18, 2015, 9:56 AM

some Crossbow and mix it in with the Roundup. Crossbow will actually get into the roots of the poison ivy and kill it dead. Also generic Roundup works just as good as the real thing.

Crossbow is expensive but you won't need a whole lot so buy the smallest jug you can get.

@Tiggity

RA half gallon of gas and match will fix all of that problem

May 18, 2015, 10:51 AM

But these are cool too:

Dad jeans?***

May 18, 2015, 10:53 AM

HOLD UP THERE, SPORT.

May 18, 2015, 11:17 AM

Dad jeans don't even get a seat in the arena until paired with a crisply ironed denim shirt. It the ensemble. Never forget that it's the ensemble.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IT'S A DENIM BOMB!!

May 18, 2015, 11:29 AM

it exploded and went off all over Dad.

Luckily it didn't get to the torch though.

why anyone does mowing / weedeating in shorts is beyond me

May 18, 2015, 11:19 AM

gardening and pruning sure but anything that requires gas powered equipment. . . really?

I mow and weedeat in a thong and wifebeater while barefoot.

May 18, 2015, 11:22 AM

THAT'S HOW I DO IT, NANCY.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mow with shorts on...

May 18, 2015, 11:26 AM [ in reply to why anyone does mowing / weedeating in shorts is beyond me ]

I also drink beer while I mow. Granted, I've got a riding mower with a cup holder.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wear flip flops when i cut the grass.

May 18, 2015, 11:30 AM [ in reply to why anyone does mowing / weedeating in shorts is beyond me ]

Its not like if I slide a tow under the lawn mower a pair of shoes is going to do anything about it.

I don't like my legs to get accosted by flying debris***

May 18, 2015, 1:53 PM

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic