Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FCS games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

FCS games

Jun 14, 2018, 2:30 PM

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/06/22-college-football-teams-that-wont-play-fcs-opponent-2018/

Found this article and started thinking, why do any power 5 teams play FCS teams? If we’re all playing for the same playoff spots, shouldn’t all P5 leagues play the same general level of competition and also same number of league games?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FCS games

Jun 14, 2018, 3:59 PM

The biggest reason Clemson does to support the smaller schools and correct me if I'm wrong the state requires Clemson Play South Carolina every year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2018, 4:08 PM

I’m not sure about the scar requirement. I do believe the state may be required to play and/or support smaller in state schools every year like wofford, furman, citedel. I have no problem supporting the smaller schools, but shouldn’t be required to play them IMO. I know the B1G and PAC12 both play 9 conference games instead of 8 and also no allowed to schedule FCS opponents. Seems that if all P5 conferences would do this, it sure would make the playoff debate a little less complicated if we were all playing a similar schedule.

I like 8 conference games; it allows for more OOC. So why

Jun 14, 2018, 4:53 PM

ask SEC and ACC to play 9 conference games instead of suggesting the PAC and BIG play 8? I hear the PAC fans crying about them beating each other up.. well, go play try to beat up another league. I'm open to Clemson playing UW, Wash St, AZ, Ariz St, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Colorado, Utah, and Oregon. How about Clemson doing a home and home with Michigan, Oh St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa?

Then everyone is level, and fans get better games. Honestly, I bet the Big10 doesn't play FCS schools because the regional MAC teams are better than half the Big10 teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I like 8 conference games; it allows for more OOC. So why

Jun 14, 2018, 9:00 PM

Soy, B1G went 7-1 in bowls last year ans I’d bet the east is the hardest division in college football last year and this year again. The west is pretty bad with only Wisco being good. But yea, a couple of MAC teams definitely could (and have) beat Rutgers and Illinois for sure.

Jun 14, 2018, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: FCS games ]

I’m not sure about the scar requirement. I do believe the state may be required to play and/or support smaller in state schools every year like wofford, furman, citedel. I have no problem supporting the smaller schools, but shouldn’t be required to play them IMO. I know the B1G and PAC12 both play 9 conference games instead of 8 and also no allowed to schedule FCS opponents. Seems that if all P5 conferences would do this, it sure would make the playoff debate a little less complicated if we were all playing a similar schedule.

I'm not sure theres really much difference

Jun 14, 2018, 4:15 PM

Between playing Citadel/Wofford or playing Charlotte/Coastal/Rice when compared with the level of teams vying for playoff consideration. Sure the later teams are probably better, but not enough to say there is some huge level of competition difference for playoff consideration. All should be considered cupcakes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2018, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: FCS games ]

I’m told a law was passed to require Clemson and S.C. to play but with all due respect I doubt it would hold up if appealed to a real court

Jun 14, 2018, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Re: FCS games ]

You are correct good sir. The SC legislature passed a law stating something to the effect that both Clemson and USUC hace to schedule one in-state FCS program every collegiate football game. Their reason beiing for the infusion of cash from these games with Clemson and USUC

FWIW

Jun 14, 2018, 4:39 PM

I'm pretty sure someone here did post the article about the state law requiring Clemson and USuCk to play an instate school on rotation every year. Rotating between: Citadel, Coastal, Furman, SC-State, and Wofford.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

Re: FWIW

Jun 14, 2018, 6:32 PM

I doubt there is actually a law requiring it (the FBS schools scheduling one FCS opponent, and trying to make it an in-state school.)Otherwise, now that Coastal has moved up to FBS they should be required to schedule an in-state FCS, but they haven't yet.
I think it's more due to being good neighbors, just like in baseball and basketball.
Lots and lots of reasons for scheduling an FCS foe--mostly $$$-related--but playing in-state schools allows for lots of good feelings between fans, admins, and even players who grew up playing each other.

Re: FWIW

Jun 14, 2018, 6:53 PM

My brother did the hype video for Liberty (FCS at the time) when they got paid $1.2 million to fly to Waco to play Baylor.
Beating the Bears gave their program more national exposure than they got through ALL their FCS playoff appearances.
At the time, nobody cared that Baylor would go 1-11 that year.

And by the way, remember that Michigan hasn't always been a purist in FBS-only scheduling: I think their high-profile loss to FCS App St in 2007 had something to do with their new-found commitment to only playing FBS schools.

I don't have any issue with P5 teams playing

Jun 14, 2018, 9:37 PM

An FCS team. It supports the smaller programs and gives larger schools a chance, most of the time, to play more guys and get more reps against a different opponent .

In lieu of playing 9 conference games , I like the ACC requirement taking place next year (I think) that requires you to schedule 2 out of conference games against a P5 opponent. The SEC should adopt this as well and they need to also build in a requirement that you must do play at least one P5 opponent out of conference on the road on e every two years. They could call this the Saban rule since gen pretty much will never schedule a true road game out of conference. Although I think they play someone on road in next yr or two.

Re: I don't have any issue with P5 teams playing

Jun 14, 2018, 10:07 PM

I agree with you re. the 'Saban Rule' and true road games, but he has an unreal winning pctg. at neutral sites. He is 14-1 in Atlanta alone (which must be considered neutral, even though it's right around the corner from Tuscaloosa.)
BTW, Duke opens 2019 in Atlanta vs. Alabama. If Hunter Johnson had transferred to Duke, that would likely have been his first start. Sheesh! I guess he lucked out.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic