Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't get this alumni crap...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

I don't get this alumni crap...

Nov 14, 2014, 8:00 PM

I don't for one second think being an alumnus makes me a better fan. This university is blessed to have a tremendously loyal fan base. I for one consider anyone that supports this team a REAL TIGER! Some of the most dedicated and vocal fans I know chose Clemson as their team and that makes us all family. This Clemson family is RICHER because of the kind donations from Non-alumni. I dare say we would not be where we are now without the loyal support of those that chose to support this team whether they attended here or not. We are all TIGERS!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen***

Nov 14, 2014, 8:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amen***

Nov 14, 2014, 8:05 PM

Thanks John!

i thought the alum fuss from CUJAX was about TigerNet, and TDs, not

Nov 14, 2014, 9:23 PM

Clemson fandom in general.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: i thought the alum fuss from CUJAX was about TigerNet, and TDs, not

Nov 14, 2014, 9:27 PM

It was. Just goes to show how comprehension is a struggle for many on this board.

The sense of entitlement in society is a sad trend...

Nov 14, 2014, 8:08 PM

It's not just Clemson...we're digressing as a human race in terms of morality, manners and humility. It's a sad trend. :-/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The sense of entitlement in society is a sad trend...

Nov 14, 2014, 8:11 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself. Common courtesy is in scarce supply these days.

Re: I don't get this alumni crap...

Nov 14, 2014, 8:10 PM

I agree that Clemson wouldn't be near what it is without the support of many people who never set foot on campus as a student. Our football program, which we all love, can especially thank the many non alum fans who have shown up, put their hard earned money into the program, and turned Death Valley into the madhouse it is and has been over the decades.

I know that for me, Clemson is different since becoming an alumnus. I didn't start school there until I was 26, so I had visited campus a ton of times before starting. It's different since graduating, but I can't say I love Clemson any more now than I did before starting school.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2014, 8:15 PM

SummeyD, I have loved Clemson since I was a little boy. My Daddy and Momma taught the Alma Mater when I was 8-9 remembering exactly when to raise my hand and wave it. It is a special place in my heart and I am sure for all Tigers.

Non grads have the propensity to put football before Clemson

Nov 14, 2014, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't get this alumni crap... ]

Clemson has a football team. Clemson's football team does not have a university wrapped around it. Football does not come before education.

I call Clemson my school because I belong to it not because it belongs to me. Therefor I say 'we,' and 'our.'

Our football team calls Clemson theirs not because Clemson belongs to them but because they belong to Clemson. Some non grad seem to struggle to understand that concept.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think they have the propensity to put football before Clemson

Nov 15, 2014, 12:46 AM

But when non-alums harped on President Barker for wanting to improve Clemson it bothered me. It's fine for alums and those paying for Clemson for their kids or others to criticize and discuss the President or education that is fine. But when others want to bash the educational side it bothers me. I am very proud of my degree - and my sports teams.

Re: I don't think they have the propensity to put football before Clemson

Nov 15, 2014, 2:07 AM

That's what I said, they have a propensity to put athletics before academics.' It's something for them to boast about when we graduate 90+% of our football team but it's nothing to them personally as it is us.

I'll kiss your nekkid ### in front of Tillman Hall at 12PM if you can find a one ### non grad that would turn down a five star recruit even though it was perfectly clear he couldn't do the school work.

Helll, most of us wouldn't either so that's not really a fair bet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're harping on an imaginary argument. Everyone

Nov 14, 2014, 8:12 PM

Understands what our fan base consists of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's an Inferiority complex.

Nov 14, 2014, 9:27 PM

He'll not get over it until he graduates and realized grads just pick on other Clemson fans cause it's fun. :)

Nov 14, 2014, 8:13 PM

I concur and have not said otherwise. However I am saying that so called fans calling a true Clemson alum a Coot and granting them a 27% pulse because they care enough not to drink the orange koolaid and are not paying a member is more cootlike than just about anything I've seen on the interwebs.

Nov 14, 2014, 8:17 PM

26% coot

Your pulse isn't based off of where you went to school or

Nov 14, 2014, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't get this alumni crap... ]

for how long.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your pulse isn't based off of where you went to school or

Nov 14, 2014, 8:22 PM

Donations are tied to pulses, at least I was smart enough to stumble upon that scam in the short time I've been a non paying member. Keep ignoring this fact if you wish.

I haven't donated a dime, how did my pulse rise?

Nov 14, 2014, 8:26 PM

What fact am I ignoring?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your pulse isn't based off of where you went to school or

Nov 14, 2014, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Your pulse isn't based off of where you went to school or ]

It is? Why is my pulse 97%?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have been a member for all of 9 months***

Nov 14, 2014, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Your pulse isn't based off of where you went to school or ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You have been a member for all of 9 months***

Nov 14, 2014, 8:33 PM

Are you talking to me? I hope not, I'm not trying to say anything negative here. If you've felt anything else, I am sorry man.

No, Im talking about CUJAX...youre good***

Nov 14, 2014, 8:35 PM

I cant say anything about you...In 2 months, your point total has almost caught up to mine

Nov 14, 2014, 8:37 PM [ in reply to Re: You have been a member for all of 9 months*** ]

And ive been on here for 8 years lol

Re: I cant say anything about you...In 2 months, your point total has almost caught up to mine

Nov 14, 2014, 8:38 PM

Thanks man!

sad that you even worry about a pulse..

Nov 14, 2014, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Your pulse isn't based off of where you went to school or ]

pulse is just silly to me

I saw that thread

Nov 14, 2014, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Your pulse isn't based off of where you went to school or ]

They were just pulling your leg. Only way a donation helps your pulse is if you come on here and say you've become a donor. People will give you a thumbs up then. I think you just don't totally get this site yet. I've been on here for 15 years since back when it was thetigernet.com. Brazzy didn't get it at first either but he seems to have come around recently. Give it time and you'll get the hang of it. Like I said I'm not a donor and I've got a 100% pulse. Now that I say that someone's going to give me a TD just for the heck of it.

I'm looking at you Psychotea.

You should have just let them keep believing

Nov 14, 2014, 8:41 PM

That. It was pretty funny.

I felt sorry for him. What can I say?***

Nov 14, 2014, 8:44 PM

Re: I saw that thread

Nov 15, 2014, 3:53 AM [ in reply to I saw that thread ]

TD for telling us to conform ! Brazy B that for you !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never been a donor...but don't let facts get in the way

Nov 14, 2014, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Your pulse isn't based off of where you went to school or ]

COOT

CUJAX

Nov 14, 2014, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't get this alumni crap... ]

I really do understand being called a coot and my pulse dropping because I may disagree with a post or two. I don't think you r post was saying anything other than that, so, if my post seemed to be aimed in response to your post, I am sorry! Go Tigers!

Re: CUJAX

Nov 14, 2014, 8:26 PM

Tigerlvr1989 thanks for the understanding and moral support as there doesn't seem like much of it on this "bored".

Re: CUJAX

Nov 14, 2014, 8:28 PM

Hang in there man, in my short time on here, I've found a lot of really nice and knowledgable fans! Most of us want only the best for our team!!! Go Tigers!

Why cujax has such an insanely low pulse

Nov 14, 2014, 8:44 PM [ in reply to CUJAX ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16179738

Nov 14, 2014, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't get this alumni crap... ]

...agreed

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2014, 8:13 PM

Excatly I did not attend Clemson but my wife did. I love Clemson more than she does. On sat if only Clemson students and Alum attended the games, it would not be half full.

Nov 14, 2014, 8:17 PM

One of my friends is a big Clemson fan that never went to college but put three of his girls through Clemson, I'd love to be there when someone tells him he's not a true Tiger.

Nov 14, 2014, 8:21 PM

I agree that non-alumni offer an provide a lot to the school, but remember first and foremost Clemson is a University and would not exist without students, graduates and thereby alumni. There is room at the table for all fans, but it is hard to fully understand until you have attended a gam as a student. It is irreplaceable. Does not mean that it the only thing, but hard to be fully invested.

Nov 15, 2014, 8:30 AM

Grammar major?

Nov 14, 2014, 8:21 PM

I'm not a CU alum. I am simply a die hard fan. I pay into IPTAY , I contribute to this site and my intentions are that 3 of my children will graduate from Clemson University ...if they choose to.
My mom introduced me to college football as a passion , she grew up in Rock Hill and for a brief time she went out with Buck George . Many who attended and/or graduated Clemson might not even know that name , but I do. I have ties to Clemson with family members and friends. I have attended games since 1975 , and I will continue to attend until I am unable or dead ...whichever comes first.
Clemson isn't about who you are and when you attended , it is about a family atmosphere that welcomes all who want to experience all that there is to take in . The gameday tailgating , the friendly smile of comrades in orange and the beautiful setting , all of which makes Clemson as special a place as there is in the world.
I love it . If never attending and never receiving a diploma from CU makes me less of a fan to some then I pity them . I don't understand it. I am Clemson . I live Clemson . I will never turn my back on Clemson , and anyone who I meet that feels the way I do about those hills and that special place is welcome at my tailgate to have a rib , have an Orange soda , or a beer... and a seat and get to know who I am and who my Clemson family is at anytime .
GO TIGERS !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 14, 2014, 9:38 PM

T-dug,
My Daddy has been friends with Buck George many years. If you are a tiger fan and don't recognize this name take the time to do a little research. Great man and great football player whose NFL career was cut short due to injury,

Before you get bent out of shape about it

Nov 14, 2014, 8:29 PM

Take a good look at the source posting this crap

Nov 14, 2014, 8:37 PM

Couldn't agree more! I am very thankful the I was blessed to be able to attend and graduate from Clemson. I know that others were not as fortunate but that does not make them any less fans!

Sort of conflicted on this

Nov 14, 2014, 8:40 PM

I am a CU alumnus, and I absolutely don't think that an alumnus is automatically a better fan than a non-alumnus. My 15 y/o son, a high school sophomore, is maybe a better fan than me. When I pass someone on the street wearing Clemson gear, I impulsively say "Go Tigers!", without a second's thought to whether or not they had attended Clemson...or if they had ever even been on campus.

Now, for the conflict. When it comes to OTHER teams, I think I feel completely different. Many of the most obnoxious, disrespectful, in your face Coots I know are non-alumni. But the same passion and loyalty that I recognize and celebrate in Tiger fans, I resent in other schools. Sometimes I feel like, "What right does he/she have to verbally attack a Clemson alum, when they never even WENT to _______?"

It is a total double standard. I love all Clemson fans the same, but I hate non-alumni fans of other schools more than alumni fans. Ain't right, but it is how I feel. Anybody else?

Re: Sort of conflicted on this

Nov 14, 2014, 8:45 PM

Very wise man!

next time you encounter Wal-Mart cap wearing Duke fans

Nov 14, 2014, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Sort of conflicted on this ]

think about this thread.

Yep this is where I change my mind

Nov 14, 2014, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Sort of conflicted on this ]

There is nothing worse than a non alum Alabama fan bragging about their national championships and how much better they are than Clemson and Carolina.

Congrats? You just chose to root for the most successful program in history. Sorry I cheer for the school I actually attended.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Yep this is where I change my mind

Nov 14, 2014, 9:13 PM

And the idea that Clemson may have similarly arrogant and distasteful fans is apparently impossible according to most of Tnet. Is this where I'm supposed to call someone a Coot? Amidoinitright?

Phyllis says "Hey"

Nov 14, 2014, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Yep this is where I change my mind ]

so does Harvey Updyke. Both great Alabama fans.

everyone knows that only alumni are true fans***

Nov 14, 2014, 8:41 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Are you suggesting that people from Clemson

Nov 14, 2014, 8:45 PM

and people who are not from Clemson, which do not hold a degree from Clemson should be viewed as equals, due to their passion for the school is somewhat similar?

How could this be?

Their life did not meet the full checklist...What? More than one way in life?

;)

Yeah, I fully support your post and will add that anyone who looks down on another because they have a certain paper is showing their ignorance.

That also goes to those whose papers are from another school or back another school without papers.

Fun in games are cool but at the end of the day that is all the punches should be; rival jabs and never sale short another human being for whatever reason.

Interestingly, all the players on the team are Alumni***

Nov 14, 2014, 9:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Chad Kelly is a Clemson alumnus

Nov 14, 2014, 9:06 PM

so is

the Auburn QB Marshall is a UGA alumnus***

Nov 14, 2014, 9:08 PM

And the biggest Georgia fan I know

Nov 14, 2014, 9:44 PM

Lives in Auburn and has two degrees from Auburn

Let me explain it to you, OK?

Nov 14, 2014, 9:14 PM

It's not about me or any of my cohorts being better Tigers than non grads. I view non Clemson students and non grad alike as brothers, yes, just as much brothers as any grads. Our squabbles are all in the family here.

Non grad are just as much like brothers to me. I'll give them chit all day but when a fan of another school interrupts our fellowship I'm the first one to let them know how much better a Clemson Fan is than they. That's especially true of other school's grads.

I was blessed by God to be a Clemson student and grad and By God if you're a Clemson Fan I treat you just like family. Just as any family we have people, grads and non grad alike, who show their azzes sometimes but we're still all family. If you don't think so just go to a Clemson Tailgate and say GO TIGERS, or ALL INN and see if you have to take some kind of a ### test to get fed and a beer.

Now STHU and GO TIGERS!!!

Yep.......you nailed it!***

Nov 14, 2014, 10:17 PM

Totally agree....blessed to be a grad, but best fan I know

Nov 14, 2014, 9:15 PM

might be a relative of mine who pitched baseball for The Citadel. He couldn't turn down a free ride.

Re: Totally agree....blessed to be a grad, but best fan I know

Nov 14, 2014, 9:23 PM

My baby boy is a SR and member of PTK Honor Society. He turned down a 'ride,' to Penn U and paid his own way to Clemson. That's a Clemson fan!

Ivy League must have changed. Nephew played at Dartmouth

Nov 14, 2014, 10:10 PM

and they didn't give scholarships then He turned down Wofford to go Ivy. He too is a die hard Tiger fan......parents Life Donors to Clemson Iptay.

Nothing has changed.

Nov 15, 2014, 2:02 AM

They never gave scholarship to athletes yet none of their athletes want for anything. The schools still have scholarship for outstanding academics. Phillip was offered a ride because he had a 3.89 GPR.

He would have gotten a scholarship to Clemson had he applied for financial aid soon enough. He got his scholarship money this fall and it's good for the spring too.

Nov 14, 2014, 9:21 PM

I didn't go to clemson, after high school I went to work. I'm only 31 but have attended games since I was 5. My dad, uncle and wife all went. But after high school several of my friends went and I would come and stay the weekend there and go to all the games and hang out. Which was prob better than going to class cause I got to enjoy campus and have fun but not have classes and worry about studying like they did. Anyway, of all my friends that went to clemson and graduated I'm the only one that still goes to games and keeps up with recruiting and stuff, most of them haven't been to a game in more than 5 years and all but one lives in greenville. I know they aren't bigger fans. That town, Death Valley and that campus is a special place, I don't know what it is but I love being there and I can't think of any other place on this earth that i feel that way about. I never attended a single class there but I love everything Clemson. During the spring or summer my wife and I will drive there just to eat lunch and walk around a while.

You are a real Tiger. As a grad I thank you for your love

Nov 14, 2014, 10:14 PM

Clemson, and hopefully your support of Iptay.

Just show up and be loud. And don't tell me to sit down***

Nov 14, 2014, 10:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Nov 14, 2014, 10:28 PM

> I don't for one second think being an alumnus makes
> me a better fan. This university is blessed to have a
> tremendously loyal fan base. I for one consider
> anyone that supports this team a REAL TIGER!

Agreed. But there's something sweet about wearing that CU ring and having the diploma on the wall.

Nov 15, 2014, 12:27 AM

At age 8 I received a sweatshirt in the mail. It was from a man I had never met. It was grey with a huge paw in the middle. Growing up poor in Long Island, the shirt provided warmth during the harsh winter months. One Saturday morning I turned the TV on and saw that tigerpaw on the side of the helmet of a Clemson football player. I started questioning my mom about Clemson and the paw. She finally told me the shirt that I had long grown out of, had come from my father as a birthday present. A love for all things Clemson was born. Some years later we moved to South Carolina and my parents reconciled. Although my scholastic endevours didn't include Clemson University, I have a love for Clemson that goes far beyond a ring and diploma.

Nov 15, 2014, 7:38 AM

As the original poster, I must say cambrook, your post is the essence of what I had in mind when I wrote my post. I loved reading about your "path" to being a Tiger! I am d@mn honored to have people like you as a part of this, our family! Have a great day and Go Tigers!

I went to Liberty and to UNCC, but I do not know who either

Nov 15, 2014, 12:40 AM

one played this week, or if they played at all.

I was born a Tiger, but the way my life took me, I did not graduate from Clemson. I do have season tickets which I have payed for the last 20 years. Clemson would not have the facilities or resources it has without us non alums that give lots of money to IPTAY over the years.

I do envy Clemson grads in a lot of ways, but I have given lots more to Clemson than they have given to me over the years. I wish I could have gone there, but my education came from somewhere else and I am proud of those institutions as well.

All that said, I wish I could have gone to Clemson and had that experience.

I started out at

Nov 15, 2014, 3:52 AM

Presbyterian College and finished up at Southern Wesleyan. I've been going to Clemson football games since I was 5 because my dad is a CU alum and a long time Iptay member. My game attendance total is well over 100 games. Am I less of a Clemson fan even though I still attend games with my family and wear orange from Friday through Sunday and half my closet is orange? I guarantee you will find no bigger CU fan than myself. Or nah

I know a little something about students, alumni and

Nov 15, 2014, 5:34 AM

other fans, because I spent three of my four years at Clemson in pep rallies and on the sidelines exhorting ALL of our folks to stand and cheer on our Tigers.

And when I stood atop the hill, looking across a much smaller Death Valley in those days, the thousands of Clemson people in attendance were united, standing, jumping and yelling to the top of their lungs, as we touched the rock and ran down the hill.

I knew then, as I've known the past 50 years, it takes ALL of us to make the family. In my eyes all of us are brothers in orange.

Re: I know a little something about students, alumni and

Nov 15, 2014, 6:27 AM

Mr. Hartins , that is perfectly stated. Thumbs up for your eloquence , sir .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: I know a little something about students, alumni and

Nov 15, 2014, 7:42 AM

Completely agree Tigerdoug! Thanks Mr. Hartins.

Agree. Don't pay attention to elitist nonsense.***

Nov 15, 2014, 8:35 AM

Nov 15, 2014, 9:01 AM

Agree it does not take a degree to be a football fan...although I do admit Clemson looked a little different in the rain and cold at 7:45 on a Monday morning walking to an 8 AM class after a football weekend.

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic