Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hopper says visits are just part of the recruiting process
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

May 2, 2011, 8:43 PM

Clemson commitment Germone Hopper wants to take advantage of the recruiting process, just not at the expense of losing his Clemson offer. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting situation here huh

May 2, 2011, 8:53 PM

I love Clemson and want to be a Tiger, but I want to take my visits just to make sure???????

I understand the teenager part, but where is the "I want to be a Tiger and these visits mean nothing"!!

Or the "it is a chance to see the country for free!!"

Those statements make a lot more sense to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

seems like we tell guys up front how we look at their

May 2, 2011, 8:59 PM

commitment. they understand but then want to look around anyway. seems like you need to stick to the commitment or you take your chances on whether we have room

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed, we look for you to be "fully" committed***

May 2, 2011, 9:01 PM

so your girlfriend accepts your engagement ring

May 3, 2011, 8:06 AM

then tells you that she wants to go on a couple dates with other guys "just to make sure".

You OK with that?

Prob a bad idea to get married when you're 16******

May 3, 2011, 8:19 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem is, these guys are 16-18 years old. If you had to

May 3, 2011, 8:19 AM [ in reply to so your girlfriend accepts your engagement ring ]

"get engaged" at that age, you probably would have a difficult time with commitment yourself. You still with your high school girlfriend?

It's more difficult to enforce that kind of ultimatum than you make it sound.

Early signing period would eliminate alot of this.***

May 2, 2011, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Interesting situation here huh ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Early signing wouldn't be this early.

May 3, 2011, 10:57 AM

nm

Re: Not Marlin Lane 2.0

May 2, 2011, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Interesting situation here huh ]

I agree with the staff. If you are going to commit, then dont visit. If you still need to visit a few more schools, then wait until you are done to commit.

It messes with other recruits at the position if you commit then visit another school and fall in love with it.

on the other hand we have had commits try and

May 3, 2011, 1:56 AM

recruit for us.

it is a tricky situation. I like the kids perspective. I would take my 5 visits if I had the talent to get schollies from a D-1 school.

I would visit and commit or be a silent commit. silent commits happen every year.

it works both ways.

null

i agree, but often coaches pressure kids into a commitment

May 3, 2011, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Not Marlin Lane 2.0 ]

they want to please the coach.....

Re: Interesting situation here huh

May 3, 2011, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Interesting situation here huh ]

Sounds to me the one school who should be more concerned is Miami. The kid is openly saying I want to be a Tiger and all the visit to the U will be is just that a meaningless VISIT cause I am already committed. So question is does Miami pay for this kids weekend vacation since recruiting is apparently done with?

Re: Hopper says visits are just part of the recruiting process

May 2, 2011, 9:06 PM

Sounds completely straightforward to me:

Hopper said that Clemson coaches told him – before he committed and after – that they didn’t want prospects taking visits after they had committed.

“I don’t want there to be any hard feelings or anything like that,” he said. “They have the All In thing, and they told me they didn’t want me to take any more visits.

We dont oversign. How about u coot?***

May 2, 2011, 9:12 PM

I don't blame him, I would take my visits too******

May 2, 2011, 9:09 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, don't blame Clemson if they pull the offer.***

May 2, 2011, 9:24 PM

Re: Agree.***

May 2, 2011, 9:44 PM

Re: Well, don't blame Clemson if they pull the offer.***

May 2, 2011, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Well, don't blame Clemson if they pull the offer.*** ]

I won't, but I'm not sure that strategy is appropriate for all of our recruits. These things are shades of gray, depending on how badly we need a recruit and how much we believe what he says. If we think we can get somebody else thats just as good and we're not sure this guy is really committed, then I would expect us to pull the offer. On the other hand, if this guy is a top notch talent and we think he really does just want to see some other places (which is a perfectly valid desire), then I would not expect us to pull the offer.

NO. You cannot have a set of recruting rules for one player

May 3, 2011, 8:35 AM

and another set for lesser players. They all deserve the same amount of respect. Holding one player to his word, while letting another player waffle isn't right. Look at South Carolina and their treatment of Garcia. Yep, he won them some games, but his freedom to act as he chooses very much helped FSU wack them in the bowl game. From what I have read, not ALL the players in Columbia have his back. I hope he returns and has a relapse the week he plays us.

Re: NO. You cannot have a set of recruting rules for one player

May 3, 2011, 8:48 AM

Not saying that Dabo doesn't have exactly the same viewpoint as you do about this, maybe he does. I don't think that most people would (if they were actually involved in the situation and not just being internet heros). Either way, I don't really care. Dabo's job is to win games, he's free to do that in whatever way he thinks is best.

Agree...suggest all kids take ALL their visits

May 2, 2011, 9:40 PM

Having lived thru the process my suggestion is that the recruited player should USUALLY take all their visits and increase their perspectives. I know my son would have done it no other way and we both felt it was extremely valuable.

Was Ryan your son?***

May 2, 2011, 9:54 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was Ryan your son?***

May 2, 2011, 9:56 PM

lmao

Yup*****

May 2, 2011, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Was Ryan your son?*** ]

He sounds as if he is going to ask the staff if he can.....

May 2, 2011, 10:01 PM

take a visit or two and if they say no he will not take any visits. Atleast he realizes what could happen and he is going to make sure he doesnt lose his offer.

"I just want to make sure Clemson is the place for me." In

May 2, 2011, 10:49 PM

other words - "I'm not committed."

They should just say - "I'm committed unless I find somewhere I like better."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, Miami, FL is nice this time of year

May 2, 2011, 11:09 PM

Don't forget your golf clubs, dude.

Recruit on your visit dude

May 3, 2011, 1:08 AM

I think it would be petty if we pulled kids offers for not being "all in". What's next, they kick you out of IPTAY for visiting another teams championship hall during an away game?

Seriously though, we should have our kids "talk up" Clemson to the other recruits while on these visits!

If youre not committed, DONT COMMIT! Pull it Dabo!***

May 3, 2011, 9:15 AM

Re: If youre not committed, DONT COMMIT! Pull it Dabo!***

May 3, 2011, 9:44 AM

You have to realize this kid is in high school. He, like many other prospects, may not have ever had the opportunity to travel very far away from his home. If he says he is still committed, you have to believe him. If he is happier somewhere else, let him be happier. You should not penalize a high school kid wanting to see other schools. Marlin Lane situation was totally different. The coaches wanted him to come for an official visit to Clemson and he planned to do so. He then canceled his trip here and went to Tennessee instead. He was also arrested.

May 3, 2011, 10:13 AM

Youre right, he is in High School, not kindergarten. If you want to take your visits, fine, take them, THEN commit, not the other way around. He says in the article, Im still commited to Clemson, I just want to be a teenager and take some trips AND MAKE SURE CLEMSON IS THE RIGHT FIT FOR ME. That is not commited. You should already have taken your trips and know what the right fit for you is before you commit to someone. Its common sense, which I suppose many of these guys dont have.

May 3, 2011, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: If youre not committed, DONT COMMIT! Pull it Dabo!*** ]

He can see Miami when we play them

Have fun, bring me back some beach sand

May 3, 2011, 9:37 AM

I seriously doubt that we would turn down a visit from a top recruit who was verbally committed to another school. Don't have rules for your recruits that you don't have for yourself.

I'd rather the kid KNOW that Clemson is the right place after comparing it to others and have no doubts when the show up ready to work. I knew what kind of car I wanted, but I test drove a number of models.

I agree with joeyb

May 3, 2011, 9:40 AM

He committed to us of his own free will. He knew we were only taking one WR.

So commit to us to get the spot then want to look around, this just doesn't smell right!!!

Let the kid enjoy a free trip to Miami

May 3, 2011, 11:15 AM

From this story alone, Hopper sounds like an exceptionally mature guy and I look forward to having him at Clemson.

He had the foresight to ask the coaches' permission, which demonstrates a great deal of respect. Also, he sees the bigger picture of what's going on here (he knows why they don't want him to go but he also knows that this process is a special experience that most teenagers don't get). All-in-all, his handling of this situation is far more honorable than many of the responses to this article.

If the kid says "I am going to Clemson and

May 3, 2011, 12:26 PM

I am just going on these visits to have some fun. I will lead other schools on and then just go with Clemson anyway." How many visits do you think he will get? I like what he is doing. There is no evidence of Dabo pulling an offer unless there was some event he wanted the kid to be here for such as the day when we had almost all of our recruits here together or maybe some camp etc. When a kid won't come to those things because he wants to visit another school, then you know he is not all in and you pull the offer.

I have an idea this is what will happen with this kid and others too. Telling him you don't want him to take other visits is like saying "I'd like you to wear a Clemson shirt every day and when the hats are put in front of you, burn the gamecock hat with a blow torch." You'd love for it to happen, but you don't expect it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

Great subject. Four points to consider: 1) Alabama & FSU

May 3, 2011, 11:48 PM

are tearing it up on 2012 ESPN Top 150 early commitments. Clemson will rightfully pursue many of these kids until signing day. 2) It is very early. It is one thing for a senior to commit in Jan following his H.S. football season and another thing to sign this early. Many H.S. seniors commit prior to the start of season solely to reduce pressure and concentrate on their games. 3) Taking away player freedoms and their latitude to see other schools this early could backfire on the Tigers. 4) Dabo's had his growing pains with on-field "strategery" but he has absolutely proven his recruiting mettle. Based on his track record, Tiger fans should feel great about letting Dabo work his recruiting mojo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic