Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Allen talks about the moment that changed his life
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Allen talks about the moment that changed his life

Oct 6, 2011, 11:09 AM

Allen talks about the moment that changed his life

Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen said he was in and out of trouble as a young man, until he met the coach that changed his life. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

best thing I've read on this board in a while...

Oct 6, 2011, 11:15 AM

we need more Coach Inmans in this world

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Dabo is one of those Coach Inmans, too . . . imo.***

Oct 6, 2011, 12:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

But isn't the $10 an illegal benefit?***

Oct 6, 2011, 4:18 PM [ in reply to best thing I've read on this board in a while... ]

only if you buy extra desserts

Oct 6, 2011, 7:22 PM

otherwise - nah man, he was a basketball player, didn't you read it?

null

Re: But isn't the $10 an illegal benefit?***

Oct 6, 2011, 10:37 PM [ in reply to But isn't the $10 an illegal benefit?*** ]

No NCAA violation in this story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which doctor gives physicals for $10?***

Oct 7, 2011, 11:04 AM [ in reply to But isn't the $10 an illegal benefit?*** ]

Re: Which doctor gives physicals for $10?***

Oct 7, 2011, 11:07 AM

I know many that do for local high school football players. In fact a Dr in a hometown near me does it for free.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But isn't the $10 an illegal benefit?***

Oct 7, 2011, 4:19 PM [ in reply to But isn't the $10 an illegal benefit?*** ]

If the high school coach was a booster of a particular school and steered him toward that school, then it could be an extra benefit and an NCAA violation. Since the high school coach wasn't a booster, the NCAA doesn't have jurisdiction. The high school association might, but it may be legal for them to pay for something like a physical. If he took the $10 and didn't play football, it would just be the coach giving a random kid $10.

I like the part about "next season". ****

Oct 6, 2011, 11:15 AM

Me too

Oct 6, 2011, 1:09 PM

I was wondering if anyone had an "inside-track" about him possibly leaving after this season with him being projected so high in the draft. Guess he answered that!! Fantastic news. Good luck this weekend, Dwayne, and for the rest of the season as well.

Implies that he'll be at Clemson next year

Oct 6, 2011, 11:17 AM

I kind of doubt it. :(

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I knew Allen was a great player but...

Oct 6, 2011, 11:19 AM

I never realized just how much adversity this guy went through to get here until now. Praise the Lord for people who show love and grit when others won't stand up. I think most everyone who has had a "Coach Inman" will understand that.

This kind of story is much more common...

Oct 6, 2011, 11:22 AM

than we want to admit. I think those of us who are fathers should consider being "fathers" beyond the scope of our own home. Show some interest and spend some time with kids who don't have that. It would solve a lot of our societal woes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I still have two years here"

Oct 6, 2011, 11:25 AM

Doubtful but would be nice.

Wasn't it Allen's HS coach who

Oct 6, 2011, 11:26 AM

raised so much he!! when Dwayne announced for Clemson---the coach had wanted him to go to UGa (coach was an alum) and apparently had been convinced Allen would be a dawg?????

Or do I have this confused with another player from the same area???

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES IT WAS

Oct 6, 2011, 1:04 PM

Check the picture on the internet when he declared Clemson and look at Inman's face.

Coach Inman would have bet you 140 mazillion dollars Dewayne was going to Georgia.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Allen talks about the moment that changed his life

Oct 6, 2011, 11:32 AM

I love this kid.

Allen talks about the moment that changed his life

Oct 6, 2011, 11:34 AM

Too many young people still do not take advantage of the "$10" opportunities. Great story and glad to have Dwayne Allen as a student/athlete at Clemson University.

See...coaches are very important..from motivation to success

Oct 6, 2011, 11:35 AM

We see it everyday...even with Dabo and his staff.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Write-up!

Oct 6, 2011, 11:42 AM

Tons of respect for this kid. I really admire that our school goes out and recruits great kids of character and surperior athletes. We need more "Coach Inmans" in the world.

Reminds of the day Bowden was fired...

Oct 6, 2011, 11:45 AM [ in reply to See...coaches are very important..from motivation to success ]

and a tear-filled interview with James Davis.

I showed it to me son and told him, Bowden may not have won enough football games, but he did a lot of things right.

TB rebuilt CU, but this isn't Rice, Duke, Vandy, etc.

Oct 6, 2011, 2:18 PM

Winning matters here and that is the primary way a HC is judged. I want Clemson to excel in everything and academics come first, but athletics matter and it's important to win the right way. At the end of the, however, winning is the most important key to "successful" athletics. If it wasn't, Dabo would make a heck of a lot less than $2 million.

Great story!***

Oct 6, 2011, 11:42 AM

Great story! Glad we have high school coaches like Inman.***

Oct 6, 2011, 11:45 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2011, 11:46 AM

Shows the power of real love. God's kind of love. Yeah, Coach Inman wanted a player, but he was also willing to invest in loving (by his actions) and teaching a young man about being successful. I know to some this may be sappy, but it's the truth! Great example of how we can all impact people in a meaningful way for good.

Great example Coach Inman and Dwayne Allen!

Go Tigers!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

I'm glad he got his life turned around, but it makes me so

Oct 6, 2011, 12:26 PM

mad when players do what he's doing. Daquan Bowers is another one. Super-highly rated recruit. Comes in and slacks off, then decides to get serious as a junior, has an awesome year then leaves. Why can't these guys come in and work hard from the beginning?? We basically get one good year out of them.

I don't think you can assume they or anyone else

Oct 6, 2011, 12:33 PM

slacked off!

1) Players take time to mature and some are faster to do so that others.
2) We're running a different offense now
3) These guys have families, social, academic and other things to deal with.

Bowers and Allen are self admitted cases of motivation, or

Oct 6, 2011, 2:25 PM

lack thereof. And it's not just on the field performance. You can tell the difference in players committed and not committed, esp the coaches. It's no mystery when kids suddenly start performing well as to the "why". There is an old saying that is as important today as it was years ago ... you play like you practice!

Oct 6, 2011, 12:48 PM

1-Bless Coach Inman.
2-Dwayne couldn't ended up in a better or more loving atmosphere than Clemson.
3-Growing up isn't easy.

Oct 6, 2011, 1:15 PM

I know he speaks from the heart and love of Clemson as many of the players fill. I really think this team is out to prove something.

Was he raised by is mom or grand parents? Clearly he lacked

Oct 6, 2011, 2:27 PM

and was seeking a father figure.

ACC POTY.

Oct 6, 2011, 2:32 PM

He's a very cerebral player, combining explosive athleticism, brute strength, and technical route-running to form the most complete TE in the country. Scouts are salivating over this kid, and there's absolutely no doubt that he'll be the first TE selected in next year's Draft.

You wanna put a LB on him? Ok, we take you deep. Care to put a safety/corner over him? Prepare to get physically humiliated.

He only has 18 catches? Seems like a lot more...must just

Oct 6, 2011, 2:44 PM

seem that way because several of them were spectacular...hopefully we will have him back next year also

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree

Oct 6, 2011, 5:10 PM

I like this story but as a teacher I must disagree with the crux of the matter. It wasn't that he didn't have a chance at school. He had plenty of chances. A teacher stepped up and actually held him accountable for his actions. I'm glad that his life is turning around, it sounds like he is starting to pull the thumb and not point the finger.

Re: I disagree

Oct 7, 2011, 4:26 PM

Well said. I also am impressed by Allen's on-field play this year after a pretty good soph year. His story is also touching, but I agree with Durango--Allen had multiple chances and apparently thought his size and athleticism would allow him to continue playing no matter his behavior. Allen's poise and maturity in the VT postgame interview was impressive. He obviously has benefitted from his exposure to the Clemson culture. Coaches Swinney,Morris and Pearman have all helped this young man in many ways.

Oct 7, 2011, 10:44 AM

Very nice to see DA give proper credit to someone that has made ALL of the difference in his life!

To often people don't speak up to say Thank You!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic