Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I didn't really realize how well Mark Fields was doing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

I didn't really realize how well Mark Fields was doing

Jul 30, 2023, 4:06 PM

https://twitter.com/aaronmresnick/status/883367706405343236

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn't really realize how well Mark Fields was doing

Jul 9, 2017, 7:06 PM

And just think there some people on here saying our CB's will be our Achilles heel on D. Thanks for sharing this stat. I personally think we're stout in every position group on D. Even if there is a weak link on the back end our Dline can pressure a QB into making hasty mistakes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So basically, teams should avoid our CBs altogether.

Jul 9, 2017, 7:11 PM

I love it!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: So basically, teams should avoid our CBs altogether.

Jul 9, 2017, 8:52 PM

That's what I gathered knowing the two Clemson underclassmen studs that are not on this list and Edmond.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2017, 7:56 PM

Thanks for poasting! +1TU
Hey palmetto 1, you need to to read this b4 you talk any more smack!

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Jul 9, 2017, 8:23 PM

I watched a NFL special on Charles Haley when he was with the Dallas Cowboys. They stated their entire defense benefited from him pressuring the QBs each week.

I fully believe we will be fine in the secondary given we have at least three DLs that can get to the QB.

Jul 9, 2017, 8:37 PM

The secondary is strong and deep. As a matter of fact, so is the entire defense. This may be the best defense Clemson has ever fielded. Can anyone say repeat had our juniors on offense stayed? Even so, our offense will benefit from this defense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting stats, but for a passing team

Jul 9, 2017, 8:48 PM

that throws down field every play, they'd be pretty happy completing 50% of their passes. They would never have to punt. Hard to believe a 45% completion rate is good for a cornerback.

Re: Interesting stats, but for a passing team

Jul 9, 2017, 8:56 PM

That's a 55% chance of turning the ball over in some fashion and I bet the percentages get even more slim if the screens are omitted.

I'm way more surprised to see Carter on that list

Jul 9, 2017, 9:00 PM

You know, since we offered him and Gallman just to get Nkimdiche and all.
But seriously, Gallman was legit 4 star, but looks like our coaches developed Carter into a stud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 9, 2017, 9:01 PM

Mark Fields did a great, no, an outstanding, job at Clemson, IMO. Others will step up, no doubt, but he helped set a high bar as "standard", IMO.

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2017, 10:05 PM

I agree, he has played well and played to the standard. Alexander was a CB that opposing teams didn't want to throw the ball in his direction. No doubt opposing coaches, stats people will factor this into their game plan with Fields. Just another point to a deep corner class, this year I expect he will try to be even more of a ball hawk to prepare for the next level.

Message was edited by: ATech®

Jul 10, 2017, 8:39 AM

So do I, and I would expect he will get challenged early on. He will be up to the challenge. IMO

Jul 9, 2017, 9:24 PM

He knows how important this year is for his future if he wants to keep playing football after Clemson. I believe Fields will really take a big step this year and be really aggressive on defense. Venables will count on him a lot to play man to man

Jul 9, 2017, 9:30 PM

Honestly I think Mark Fields gets a bad rap is because of all the PI's called against him.

Re: PIs are not always bad. Lots of times, it pays to

Jul 9, 2017, 9:45 PM

get them.

Re: PIs are not always bad. Lots of times, it pays to

Jul 9, 2017, 10:01 PM

Oh I agree just saying It's hard for CB's to get good recognition cause of you do your job well you have really no stats except for Int's, so since Fields didn't have many the only time he was really called out was on penalties which is why I thought he was getting a bad rap. I think he played great last year

Jul 9, 2017, 11:28 PM

Our DB's were good, not great but good last year. Alexander was a GREAT CB and Kearse was a VERY good safety until he got lazy for some reason. Our defense is deep across the board and I wouldn't be surprised if our DB's are GREAT this year.

The only position I'm really concerned about is probably DE as I don't feel we have much depth and our starters only bloomed late last year. Luck for them our interior has 2 guys that might be top 5 picks.

Jul 9, 2017, 11:49 PM

Clelin is going to have a great year as I have suggested. Co-Defensive ACC Freshman of the year. Defensive MVP of OSU playoff. Bryant on the other side is a monster as well. Huggins & Register can step in for Wilkins if he needs to play some DE. We lost one due to injury, luckily Wilkins has shown himself to be so versatile if we need him at DE, he can play it well.

Ferrell shedding off defenders getting to the VT QB

Message was edited by: ATech®

Probably a smaller smaple size for Fields

Jul 10, 2017, 9:06 AM

It says minimum of 20 targets and his even 30% could suggest exactly 20 targets (6/20 = 30%).

I'm not suggesting he won't do well, but i would expect him to fall back towards the rest of the pack as he logs more snaps next year.

Re: Probably a smaller smaple size for Fields

Jul 10, 2017, 9:13 AM

To give you a little comparison...
This was from 2 years ago but look at the names and look at the percentages, and this was the best in the NFL.

Top 5 CBs Cmp % when targeted:
Darrelle Revis: 44.2
Patrick Peterson: 46.8
Delvin Breaux: 48.8
Robert Alford: 49.3
Richard Sherman: 50

Jul 10, 2017, 10:14 AM

A great pass rush will help any secondary and that's what we have. Not saying the secondary is a huge weakness, but I think guys like Mullen and Terrell will be more of what you call a shutdown type CB(much like Mac Alexander).

20 is not statically a sample.

Jul 10, 2017, 10:25 AM

-PhD

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic