Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I didn't grow up with the goal of being a Clemson man.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

I didn't grow up with the goal of being a Clemson man.

Jul 30, 2018, 10:04 AM

I was an unfortunate son, raise by nomads who moved me nearly a dozen times while I was growing up. My dad was a sixth grade educated truck driver. He and mom had two dates when they were 16. It must have been their first date because on their second date they decided to make the long journey from Roane Co. TN to Georgia and get married. They doubled with mom's younger mother who was 13 and another 16 year old boy that evening and two marriage ceremonies were performed back to back.

I was born about 13 months after those ceremonies so it must have taken a while back then to figure out the details of mammal reproduction. I had my first year of school in my parents' home town, Rockwood. It was there in a small one room school house dedicated to first graders. The 2nd and 3rd grades houses were there in the row too. Before I finished the second grade we moved to Georgia...by the time I got out of high school the 1st, 2nd and 12th grades were the only years I spent in one place and they all happened there in Rockwood.

After marrying I moved to Chatt and worked at CE manufacturing boilers, nuclear reactors and components. When CE shutdown in the late 70s I moved to Greenville, SC. A year later we moved to Easley where I woke up one morning realizing that I had forgotten something but didn't know what it was or where I'd left it. It took a couple years to figure out that I'd forgotten to finish being educated so I immediately began looking to solve the problem.

I happened to be living 10 miles from Clemson then. Having been out of highschool for over a decade Clemson laughed at my application. My ACT test was "Out of date," the young lady said, so I went to G'ville Tech for two quarters. For the youth here that was about 2/3rds of two semesters. I carried a 3.8 or something so Clemson sucked me up like somebody flipped the switch on vacuum cleaner. Three days after I hand delivered the application I received the acceptance letter in the mail.

For the TL;DR, Readers Digest crowd...My path was long with many twist and turns which sometimes folded back on itself but in the deepest and most sacred place in my heart I know Clemson was in God's plan for my life. It wasn't UT because of any shadow cast by Neyland or UGA, or Bama, or FSU, or Miami, or any of the other universities I lived near while I was growing up.

God knew where I belonged and he gave me a closeup of all that's out there so I'd appreciate Him for picking out the best. Through trial and tribulation and with Divine patients this sojourner was brought home.

For Real TL;DR, Clemson was my destiny!

BTW, mom and dad were married until dad's death in 1971.

Note TO Mods, move this at your own risk for it it a testimony to God's Divine Love for Clemson, me and you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn't grow up with the goal of being a Clemson man.

Jul 30, 2018, 11:09 AM

I love your story 88. Thanks for the background of how you became a Tiger. I can tell you are "All In".

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best post on here in a long, long time 88. Thanks for

Jul 30, 2018, 11:39 AM

sharing.

Clemson is indeed a sacred place that I’ve found can be had in 2 ways:

1. A part of your birthright and heritage and upbringing - a nearly mystical place & people that you’ve heard about and know about & felt your whole life. This was me and how it has been for my entering Freshman daughter.

OR

2. Discovered and then embraced.

I think either way you get there leads to an amazing Family that is truly unique.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic