Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What do y'all think about paying college athletes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

What do y'all think about paying college athletes?

Sep 17, 2019, 9:25 PM

https://247sports.com/Article/South-Carolina-Assembly-Clemson-Tigers-South-Carolina-Gamecocks-Dabo-Swinney-135677398/?fbclid=IwAR3NdHouN0wptHbKRD3ZtVpjomocHfrAWRtGdz81Fwqd0EUnQqybp4uNiSs

Moderators, I apologize in advance. If this should be moved to the political forum, then please move it or just delete it. From personal experience I know how difficult it can be to discuss issues about athletics when they are also political.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What do y'all think about paying college athletes?

Sep 17, 2019, 10:18 PM

Not more than the scholarship and stipend allowed now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Agreed. Keep as is. If there are ways that the NCAA

Sep 17, 2019, 11:06 PM

or the member institutions are profiting off of their players’ Name and likeness, the player should have to approve it first (which they almost certainly will if they anticipate a pro career, because it is in their interests). If they think there’s too much money in the sport and they want to mandate that a portion of profits must go to the university’s educational mission, that’s fine.

The NCAA offers students a full ride and the best facilities and development available. To take advantage, the students must play as amateurs. That’s the deal. If they don’t like it, they can develop for the NFL some other way where they can make more money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

College football is the minor league for the NFL***

Sep 17, 2019, 11:40 PM

That’s false, but the fact that college football is the best avenue

Sep 17, 2019, 11:58 PM

to make it to the NFL does not mean that the MCaA has to change their approach.

null

Er..."NCAA"***

Sep 18, 2019, 12:14 AM

null

It’s true that’s why the NFL has the three years after HS rule***

Sep 18, 2019, 12:28 PM [ in reply to That’s false, but the fact that college football is the best avenue ]

Link to NFL rule requiring a prospect to play college

Sep 18, 2019, 1:09 PM

football during those years?

null

Re: College football is the minor league for the NFL***

Sep 18, 2019, 7:07 AM [ in reply to College football is the minor league for the NFL*** ]

It's 10 times better than minor league! They don't get free housing, free first class flights, free food, free luxuries of entertainment, nor do they get $1mil education, if you value it out for life of use. Most will be in high level debt buying new cars, rent or houses, partying, etc only to fail with no income, no education, no materialistic assets, and starting at ground zero at a much lower level of societal career advancement advantages.

I didn’t compare it to baseball, CFB has 80,000+ stadiums...

Sep 18, 2019, 12:34 PM

Minor league baseball doesn’t.

Sep 18, 2019, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: What do y'all think about paying college athletes? ]

agreed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 10:23 PM

I believe the SEC and ESPN hate Clemson domination so much they have conspired to end football as we know it. Clear evidence that they see no way to ever topple us on the field again. Next Kwestion

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes they should get paid...

Sep 17, 2019, 10:48 PM

If there are gonna be billion dollar tv contracts, conference tv channels, and coaches getting paid multi million dollar contracts, players deserve a piece of the pie. And should be allowed to do commercials. Players help bring in millions of dollars to schools.

And players are well compensated for it.***

Sep 18, 2019, 8:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It's gonna create a HUGE disadvantage for schools

Sep 18, 2019, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Yes they should get paid... ]

Companies are going to push kids to certain schools. See what happened with addidas for bb. Now they can talk to kids all they want.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that would still be illegal by regular law***

Sep 18, 2019, 12:29 PM

Blah blah blah blah. Do some research on how players are

Sep 18, 2019, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Yes they should get paid... ]

already compensated. Forbes magazine did an article on it. It comes out to about $500,000 per player over a 4 year college career. AND they get to take the degree with them for further compensation throughout their lives.

Stop with the knee-jerk whining and crying. Ain't NO single player or group of players bigger than the university they represent. If they don't like the current system then they can pay for their #### degree and go get a regular job like the other 99% of us.

Re: Yes they should get paid...

Sep 18, 2019, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Yes they should get paid... ]

So what your saying is you are okay with Oregon being the National Champions in football and basketball every year. Because I'm pretty sure Nike can afford to pay every top recruit in the nation to advertise their shoe.

Be careful with what you propose because Clemson can't keep up in this realm. A George Coleman Ford commercial isn't going to attract a kid like a Nike or UA add.

Sep 17, 2019, 10:50 PM

They already get paid, its called free tuition.

they get a lot more than free tuition***

Sep 18, 2019, 3:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 11:09 PM

NO!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 11:12 PM

Ex college athlete here. College athletes don't need to be paid because they already are... I played baseball in college... free living free tuition etc....
All my friends who went to college are buried in student loans. I am very lucky and have zero. Paying players would ruin college athletics in every sport.

How would it ruin it? Amateur Olympians get paid from endorsement deals...***

Sep 17, 2019, 11:44 PM

Completely different situation. 1) In theory, you’re not choosing

Sep 17, 2019, 11:57 PM

what country you represent in the Olympics...you compete for your country.

2) this recent phenomenon of people from one country getting citizenship in another country to compete in the Olympics would absolutely destroy the event if the superpowers decided that they were all for it. Imagine an Olympics where the USA, Russia, China, etc, all recruited for their teams, worldwide.

3) I don’t think the Olympics is doing phenomenal from a ratings perspective, considering it is a once-every-four-years worldwide sports spectacle.

null

Very few Olympians make enough in endorsements to

Sep 18, 2019, 2:13 AM [ in reply to How would it ruin it? Amateur Olympians get paid from endorsement deals...*** ]

pay for what it cost to train, let alone profit off of them.

Some do, but very few.

It wouldn’t hurt to give them some spending money or help

Sep 17, 2019, 11:14 PM

Them pay for flights

I don’t think they should be paid a lot of money. Could be trouble with a bunch of 18-22 year olds

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 11:21 PM

Shouldn't this be a question for Georgia or Auburn fans ?

DB23

Sep 17, 2019, 11:32 PM

I'm a very conservative guy. When I was a Clemson student I worked construction jobs at Christmas break, spring break and summer to earn money. The university did not limit my efforts in any way. So why should the university limit a student from earning money from his name or image just because he's an athlete? The free market will determine how much some, not all, student athletes make. On the other hand, obviously this subject opens the door for corruption payments from overzealous fans.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh, overzealous fans have been making corrupt payments for the past 50-60 years***

Sep 17, 2019, 11:47 PM

Sep 17, 2019, 11:40 PM

Thanks for your answers. I posted the link on this board since it is the SC legislature that is involved.

For the record, I am adamantly opposed to paying college athletes any more than they are already being paid - tuition, books, room, board (at the equivalent of a 5 star restaurant), coaching, personal trainers,traveling first class, staying at 5 star hotels, etc.

The problem is the NCAA has brought it upon themselves. They have eagerly and willingly become the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. They relish in the fact that essentially the only road to the NFL and NBA goes thru the NCAA. They encourage recruiting kids who have zero desire to go to class or graduate. Too many of these "student athletes" are majoring in football or basketball.

Sorry, I'm a guest. I've said too much already. This issue of paying athletes is just a hot button for me.

Sep 18, 2019, 12:06 AM

A reference has been made to colleges being the minor leagues for the NFL and the NBA. That’s a true statement. But compare college students to MLB minor league players. In the minors, players don’t make squat for money. They live in poverty and the vast majority of them get nothing out of it, they never make it to the majors. At least college athletes get a free education, college degree if they choose, free room and board many other benefits that their counterparts in the minor-league baseball systems don’t get.

So if college is the minor leagues for the NFL in the NBA, those kids have it way better than their MLB counterparts.

Sep 18, 2019, 6:41 AM

An alalyst made this statement last Spring. The discussion was about the NBA allowing high school players to go directly to the G-League and paying them up to $125K.

His comment was: You think you're gonna get guys like Zion to go to the G-League? You're gonna have to pay him a lot more than 125K. He makes more than that now. (The guy didn't explain what he made by that remark.) His lifestyle is so much better - flying on chartered jets and staying in five star hotels vs. long bus rides and eating at hamburger joints. Which would you choose?

And MLB players get much more guaranteed money than NFL players***

Sep 18, 2019, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: What do y'all think about paying college athletes? ]

CFB and CBB generate more money than minor league baseball...

Sep 18, 2019, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: What do y'all think about paying college athletes? ]

So that’s not an accurate comparison

Sep 18, 2019, 6:56 AM [ in reply to Re: What do y'all think about paying college athletes? ]

If athletes are going to be treated like students coaches should be treated like professors and I’ve never heard of one making 10 million per year.

Drop Dabos salary to 80k and his tune will change real quick.

You should stop watching Clemson football, in protest.***

Sep 18, 2019, 7:12 AM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Sep 18, 2019, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Re: What do y'all think about paying college athletes? ]

You're one of them guys. People forget,Dabo was one of the lowest paid coaches in the country. His first contract was incentive driven. He also gave his entire raise to his assistant coaches one time. I'm sure he had the same opinion then as he does now. You must not know where he came from. Having said that, paying players is an avenue for the destruction of college football, how about spreading money around to some other sports athletes like baseball and softball that are limited on scholarships.

Sep 18, 2019, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: What do y'all think about paying college athletes? ]

The players are treated like student athletes. Our players are getting probably close to 75k per year whatever each year. How much does 4 to 5 years of out of state tutition, housing, utilities, tons of food, clothing, books, tutors, computers, medical insurance,etc etc, break down to per year? They are set. If they do it right they can leave with their masters and no debt.

Sep 18, 2019, 7:25 AM

They are already paid a fortune. They dont deserve more. They dont have to go to college if its such a bad deal. Tuition, utities, books, medical, clothing, computer, housing, food, small stipend, tutors, and much more. They are set. To act like they are doing it all flr free is nuts. They come out debt free.

They just need to create an NFL "d league"

Sep 18, 2019, 7:38 AM

And let players go there if all they care about is getting paid right out of high school. If they do eventually pay NCAA athletes, it needs to be a hard cap of say $5,000 per year/semester. If players are able to license their image/sell autographs/etc. the arms race is going to be outrageous and ruin the fun left in college sports.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All college athletes or just football players? Men & women?

Sep 18, 2019, 7:45 AM

Should the all be paid the same amount?

Should the lowest participant in women’s crew squad get as much as Trevor Lawrence?

Just questions to ponder when we head down the “Pay’em” trail.

As usual, the devil is definitely in the details.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No! they get free education and stipends now***

Sep 18, 2019, 7:45 AM

Re: No! they get free education and stipends now***

Sep 23, 2017, 4:15 PM

Housing, medical, food, utilities, clothings, etc etc, too.

Do you know how much a pair of size 22 dress shoes cost?

Sep 18, 2019, 8:15 AM

How about a casual pullover or golf shirt sized to fit a man who is 6'-6 and 320 lbs?

I'm not for paying athletes because it's only fair to pay athletes which don't earn for the university. That means lawsuits from women's sports and some men's sports.

Imo, this turns amateur athletics into pure 'for profit businesses.' I'm not sure all programs will survive. It's a dilemma for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2019, 9:38 AM

As an intellectual property attorney, of course they should have the rights to market their own images. Trevor getting 2 million for Head and Shoulders ad somehow annoys you? Wow

Sep 18, 2019, 9:43 AM

They are trying to keep them amateurs. Players might move to bigger markets for marketing purposes and what not. It's a can of worms. It would destroy college football as we know it. Some things are bigger than the individual. They can wait 3 years.

Sep 18, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: What do y'all think about paying college athletes? ]

What's the saying? Oh yeah, follow the money!!! What's to stop say,a certain Oregon fan from giving out $2mil contracts to 22 student athletes? Or maybe buy a 1000 signatures at $10 a pop from 44 student athletes. Schools with the richest fans and/or the largest alumni bases would dominate CFB. I guess that fine if you support schools like Texas, USCw, Oregon, Michigan, OSU, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc. Are you willing to be outbid by these schools for the talented players Dabo recruits? I guess one positive would be that schools like Harvard, Yale, MIT, and others like them would be relevant in CFB.

Sure, take away their scholarships.........

Sep 18, 2019, 9:39 AM

free meals, free medical & training access..........then give EVERY PLAYER from the 3rd string center to the Star QB the EXACT same amount of money to pay for their education, medical & training, & meals and have them "pay the bills" and manage their money effectively..............we'll see how that turns out.

it's just moving money around...........if they want any clemson gear send them over to the tiger sports shop and let them pay $30-$70 for a shirt out of their own pocket.

Sep 18, 2019, 12:24 PM

If they decide to pay the players then all scholarships should be rescinded. Let them pay for their tuition, etc.

Sep 18, 2019, 12:49 PM

If it ever happens, I hope Clemson would opt out and compete in a division where only student athletes play. I'll be just as enthusiastic and supportive as I am now, season tickets and an orange wardrobe. If it goes semi-pro, I'll have a lot of extra money, free time on Saturdays, and be more productive at work with regards to tnet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic