Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More on Jeff Scott
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

More on Jeff Scott

Dec 9, 2019, 9:26 AM

Just to try and catch up.....Like I yesterday afternoon on the board looks like Jeff to USF. Thanks to everyone who asked questions during the Q&A yesterday. I loved doing it. Even the Jean Arthur question.

A lot of people are throwing out all kinds of ideas about who does what...I have asked around and can say I think Tyler Grisham (the former WR, current GA) is out on the road recruiting. He has been recruiting as GA and has had success. Kyle Richardson is on staff as an analyst but has never recruited...now, that doesn't mean he can't get the job. Mickey Conn was in the same boat when he took over.

Brandon Streeter - a lot have asked if he would take over as co-offensive coordinator. He already has a lot of input, but as we know there isn't some hard, fast rule that says you have to have co-offensive coordinators and the people I've talked to seem to think Tony will be the offensive coordinator and Streeter will take over increased duties. Not sure about that, but it makes sense.

Some person sent me a message on Facebook asking if Chad Morris would come back....No, no, no, and no. Clemson has an offensive coordinator. That bridge no longer exists.

I will keep chasing and asking and we will see what happens.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More on Jeff Scott

Dec 9, 2019, 9:29 AM

Thanks for the quick update. Obviously sad to see Scott go because he is awesome but also very happy for him and it’s well deserved. I’ll be rooting for him at USF

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Tony needs to get an increase and be named OC.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:30 AM

Promote from within to have a WR coach. We can’t lose both Tony and Jeff around the same time so we need to make sure he’s inclined to stay. I think promoting someone to Co-OC is a slap in the face to Tony.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Tony needs to get an increase and be named OC.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:30 AM

Promote from within to have a WR coach. We can’t lose both Tony and Jeff around the same time so we need to make sure he’s inclined to stay. I think promoting someone to Co-OC is a slap in the face to Tony.

username checks out***

Dec 9, 2019, 9:40 AM

Dec 9, 2019, 9:31 AM

:)

I definitely would not expect co-coordinators again

Dec 9, 2019, 9:35 AM

Tony should be OC. Streeter can take on increased duties and get a raise without actually being named Co-OC. Other programs have "passing coordinator" titles and such for non-OC assistants. I think that's what LSU calls Joe Brady, the architect of their incredible 2019 offense.

I believe the only reason we had Co-OCs to begin with is because Dabo had two equally important staff members and he wanted to treat them as such rather than snubbing one in favor of the other.

Re: I definitely would not expect co-coordinators again

Dec 9, 2019, 9:49 AM

I think coach streeter being promoted to co offensive coordinator is not a bad thing because whe tony leaves to be a head coach one day you will have somebody in place to take over as offensive coordinator

Streeter can be that without the title. Tony deserves to

Dec 9, 2019, 10:01 AM

have the CO- removed and be given a BV type contract.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

He could do that without the Co-OC title

Dec 9, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: I definitely would not expect co-coordinators again ]

Also, lets just say that Tony does leave in ~2 years and Dabo needs to replace him, but, for whatever reason, doesn't feel like Streeter is really "the guy" to become OC, he now has a problem to deal with. How do you hire from outside or promote somebody else over your current Co-OC? The optics of that would be really bad.

I think it's just much better to increase his responsibilities and give him an extra title and some more money rather than making him "Co-OC."

Re: He could do that without the Co-OC title

Dec 9, 2019, 10:12 AM

It's about continuity. Dabo is not hiring anyone in general who he's not "comfortable with". Streeter will be running the exact same system that Scott was running, nothing changes. The point in elevating Street is because he knows the system and it keeps the status quo. Elliot trying to do this all on his own would be something new and not something I want to try when we got playoffs on the line. Not to mention that Streeter will carry more weight in recruiting if he can walk in a recruits house and say he's the Co-OC.

Elliott isn't going to be doing it on his own

Dec 9, 2019, 10:16 AM

You give Streeter increased duties, a raise, and a new title like "QB Coach and Passing Game Coordinator." You can groom him to be the next OC without giving him the "Co-offensive Coordinator" title.

Well we know Tony's time at Clemson is numbered

Dec 9, 2019, 9:37 AM

So I don't see why we wouldn't be grooming Street to eventually take the job. Promoting him to Co-OC makes sense.

Re: Well we know Tony's time at Clemson is numbered

Dec 9, 2019, 9:48 AM

The way I understand it, Chad Morris made it known to Dabo he was looking to go be HC in Midwest so they were always grooming Jeff & Tony to be play-callers when he left without calling them OCs. I would think the same would be the case for Streeter or Grisham or _____ (whoever).

Re: Well we know Tony's time at Clemson is numbered

Dec 9, 2019, 9:55 AM

The only thing I think this does is shows a need to always have somebody in the "on deck" circle. Streeter is that guy right now but we're going to need a guy to replace him. Richardson would probably be a good choice but I'm going to keep pounding the table for us to hire Trevor's former HS coach Joey King from Coastal Carolina. That guy has always had future superstar college coach written all over him to me.

See my post above

Dec 9, 2019, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Well we know Tony's time at Clemson is numbered ]

That just unnecessarily commits Dabo to Streeter. It's far better to keep the options open on the chance that promoting somebody else or even bringing in a new OC from the outside is necessary. If Streeter is the best guy to replace Tony down the road, he can be promoted to OC from QB coach.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:49 AM

Hey David!!

Is it safe to assume Jeff will not be with us for the playoff games?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 9:58 AM

Very doubtful because with the early signing period, USF will want him out recruiting. It's already out there that they wanted to make a hire before the early signing period which means they obviously think they can steal some recruits late. With us still having Tony, I think the chances he coaches the playoffs are slim.

Thanks as always, Mr. Hood!

Dec 9, 2019, 10:00 AM

I am happy for Jeff. He's a great guy, hard worker, and smart football mind. I hate to lose him, but wish him all the best in Tampa.

It will be interesting to see how the new staff roles are handled here. We must show confidence in Tony Elliott as our OC, and I believe that we should ideally do that in the form of a raise and title promotion to OC (rather than co-OC). However, we also must make sure we keep Brandon Streeter happy, as he seems to be a very good coach and recruiter. If we don't promote Brandon to co-OC, what would keep him from leaving to be Jeff Scott's OC at USF if offered?

Lots of tough decisions to be made, which must be handled delicately. I trust Dabo to do the right thing.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic