Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we please do away with the premise that our D
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,937

Can we please do away with the premise that our D

Sep 23, 2012, 1:30 AM

lacks talent. A look at the depth chart reveals that our starting D has 1 5 star recruit, 6 4 star recruits and 4 3 star recruits. That doesn't even include the back-ups or young guys, many of whom are also 4 star recruits. I don't want to hear that we don't have talent. We have it, just not sure why it's not being coached up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe you should put down the rankings and

Sep 23, 2012, 1:33 AM

WATCH the game. Nevermind the outcome, just watch the lack of tackling, pressure, and coverage.

Rankings = talent...

Sep 23, 2012, 1:35 AM

Who has the best recruiting classes the past few years? Bama and LSU. Who are the top teams in the country? Bama and LSU. Stars matter. Not for all recruits, but by and large, they are pretty accurate.

Who has the best coaching over the last couple of years?

Sep 23, 2012, 1:37 AM

Probably LSU and Bama. Talent and recruits EARN national championships.

I think you are making my point...

Sep 23, 2012, 1:39 AM

If you gave Gary Patterson our defensive talent, do you not think he would have a really, really good defense? Same players, same talent, different coach.

NO, we would not.***

Sep 23, 2012, 1:40 AM

Well, then we'll agree to disagree. A guy like Patterson

Sep 23, 2012, 1:41 AM

does a lot more with a lot less talent.

I was making your point for you lol.***

Sep 23, 2012, 1:45 AM [ in reply to I think you are making my point... ]

Again, WATCH a replay of the game

Sep 23, 2012, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Rankings = talent... ]

Talent that doesn't transfer to the field is not useful. Darius Robinson, for example, could not cover ME.

I could be wrong but I think he is pointing to the fact

Sep 23, 2012, 1:36 AM [ in reply to Maybe you should put down the rankings and ]

that people on here complain about the lack of talent when in reality the coaching (tackling, coverage, and pressure) is what needs work.

Bingo! People blame lack of talent, but I don't think that's

the problem. It's coaching and/or scheming up that talent that is the problem imo.

Re: Bingo! People blame lack of talent, but I don't think that's

Sep 23, 2012, 2:17 AM

Yesss!!!!!!!! Vee haf a veener!!!!!!!!!

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Re: Can we please do away with the premise that our D

Sep 23, 2012, 1:35 AM

stars keep you employed in tiger town

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you think our D would be this bad with someone

Sep 23, 2012, 1:37 AM

like Saban or Muschamp or Patterson or Manny Diaz coaching it?

I don't. The talent is there; the molding and/or scheming of that talent is not.

Re: Do you think our D would be this bad with someone

i think we have done a poor job evaluating AND developing talent on that side of the ball

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you think our D would be this bad with someone

Sep 23, 2012, 2:23 AM [ in reply to Do you think our D would be this bad with someone ]

Agree. I don't think it's any coincidence that you heard the same general complaint about both Steele here and Venables at OU (defense is too complicated) and our defense having the same issues as last year.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Good point...

Sep 23, 2012, 2:00 AM

I will add this: Football is not like any other "big time" college sports. In basketball and baseball, many teams can rely on pure talent to win games and titles. It helps to have great coaches who can teach the game and develop winning strategies, but a basketball/baseball team with great talent and average coaching can often easily beat a team with average talent and great coaching.

Great football teams, especially at the collegiate level and higher, will require great coaching. A football team with great talent and average coaching can win many games, but sooner or later this team will be exposed and "figured-out" by a team with a superior game plan (aka better coaching). Adding to that, it only takes one bad coach on one side of the ball to spoil a football team with great all-around talent.

This is why football is the most complex sport in the world, and also why football teams require so many different coaches. Now, am I saying that you guys have terrible coaching? No, definitely not on the offensive side of the ball...and I'll reserve judgement on Venables for now.

It could be that FSU is just crazy good this year...hard to tell because Clemson is the only good team they have played thus far. But with that being said, I would not blame any Clemson fan for criticizing the hell out of your defensive coaches. You guys have plenty of talent to be at least a "solid" defense. If your defense does not get corrected soon, someone has to answer. Unexpectedly long post over.

And the HC. He controls everything. Great assts can't over

Sep 23, 2012, 4:28 AM

come poor HC'ing.

The HC is where the buck stops.

He hires the coaches, he determines the schemes, he approves who we sign, he controls practices, special teams, game mgmt, if we kick it long or short, if we run a risky trick play that kills momentum, etc. etc. etc.

If we ran man to man tonight, we probably would have been

Sep 23, 2012, 2:28 AM

burned worse. I think our D will get better. Experience really does make a difference. Drunk or angry fans tend to forget that (if they ever got it at all).

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,937
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic