Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Clemson vs. Georgia: Vivid memories make the renewal of this rivalry a good thing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

New Story: Clemson vs. Georgia: Vivid memories make the renewal of this rivalry a good thing

May 9, 2018, 8:11 AM

Clemson vs. Georgia: Vivid memories make the renewal of this rivalry a good thing

Clemson versus Georgia. Simply saying those three words evoke vivid memories for both fanbases, and those memories probably span several decades. The news broke last week that the two schools, who haven’t played since 2013 and 2014, are close to finalizing a deal that would see them face off once again. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even Georgia had to take a Peek

May 9, 2018, 8:29 AM

....Kickoff is Next

Is that not the GOAT?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Even Georgia had to take a Peek

May 9, 2018, 11:21 AM

I live in Texas now, and after showing that video to some friends, many of them started following the team. They now come up to me to talk about upcoming games, or about how the previous game went. It really was an infomercial.

Click here to read Gabi's Story

Re: New Story: Clemson vs. Georgia: Vivid memories make the renewal of this rivalry a good thing

May 9, 2018, 8:31 AM

Watching that video sure makes me miss ol' Brent Musberger. He always loved coming to Clemson! I'll never forget running in to him and Ara Parsegian down at the Esso Club one gameday weekend. Good times.

Re: New Story: Clemson vs. Georgia: Vivid memories make the renewal of this rivalry a good thing

May 9, 2018, 8:38 AM

:) ;)

May 9, 2018, 8:49 AM

Gets your heart pumping. GO TIGERS

We don't need to play georgia

May 9, 2018, 9:38 AM

There was a time when we needed this series with Georgia for exposure and validation. Vince Dooley recognized that there was no longer much to gain by playing Clemson when Clemson won about half the games in the 80s, and noticed that we were stealing players from the state. He ended the series and accomplished exactly what he intended.
Now Clemson has a fresh nc trophy and national recognition. We can play any power 5 ooc team and qualify for the playoffs. Heavy ESPN exposure. And we already take the players we want from the state of Georgia.
Why do we need to play Georgia? I say screw em.

Re: We don't need to play georgia

May 9, 2018, 10:05 AM

agreed, nothing to gain here. Meet in the playoffs. Let's move on!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We don't need to play georgia

May 9, 2018, 11:37 AM [ in reply to We don't need to play georgia ]

I agree, don’t need to play Georgia in the regular season. For one, it’s risky. For 2, I just hate Georgia so much I don’t even want to look at them throughout an entire game. I would rather play teams from all over.

5-5-1....I was at a couple of those and remember the “1” vividly, all of us trudging out of the stadium disappointed, Clemson and Georgia fans. A tie is a rotten way to end a game and I’m glad they have overtime now.

1983. 16-16 final if I recall correctly.***

May 9, 2018, 2:34 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I completely agree. Our schedule is already LOADED with

May 9, 2018, 1:27 PM [ in reply to We don't need to play georgia ]

rivals and Top 10 upstarts. I'd rather concentrate on winning our conference, taking care of business, and meeting other Big Brands and conference champions in the College Football Playoff.

May 9, 2018, 10:14 AM

Pointless to do. Another roadblock that stands on our way of going to the playoff. Much more to lose than to gain

It should happen every single year. As long as we make

May 9, 2018, 11:33 AM

the playoffs we can play plenty of other significant non-conference opponents every year.

Clemson-UGA is THE best underplayed, underrated rivalry in college football.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes please! Man, I love playing these guys.

May 9, 2018, 11:55 AM

It might be because I was a kid in the 80s, but Georgia was always high on the list of teams you wanted to beat, and for me, that has never changed. I would love to see us play them semi-regularly.

May 9, 2018, 11:56 AM

I got to Clemson fall of 1988, just as we stopped our annual series with UGA; and I must say having watched the games in the 80s growing up, I was quite disappointed the series was done.

Georgia was, and is, our real rival.

That said, reading some comments about not wanting to play UGA because it's "risky" etc...are you kidding me?! That's the most asinine thing I've ever read, could you imagine if FSU and Miami stopped playing every year because FSU missed game ending FGs and thus didn't want to take the L anymore..?? That game for many many years, most often, decided who was going to play for a National Title. It was an epic showdown, matchup, and game - year in and year out. Clemson and Georgia (with the direction the two programs are going/have gone) would be similar in almost every way.

And most of all and as I said before, Georgia is our true rival. They have a similar, storied tradition and are posed to be an annual CFP contender and elite program. The series has been heavily contested and exciting - two equal teams throughout history. And let's face it, USuC is only a "rival" because they're in-state, they want to be Clemson, and they have an inferiority complex, and as a result, their fans are ignorant and obnoxious...which is the only reason it seems to be a rivalry. The reality is they're not, never have been, and never will be on the level of Clemson, or Georgia for that matter.

I say drop USuC and add UGA as an annual game. That's a real rivalry and real game. USuC can either play Georgia Tech in our stead, or better yet, play the Citadel annually...that matchup/series is likely 50/50 historically anyway ;)

May 9, 2018, 12:14 PM

Great post. I just personally don’t want that sick feeling of dread leading up to a Clemson-Georgia game. But I agree they are more of a rival than the team here in Cootlumbia.

May 9, 2018, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemson vs. Georgia: Vivid memories make the renewal of this rivalry a good thing ]

Scar is our true rival. I love the Clemson-Georgia series and have very fond memories of those games as well.

But, we share a state with Scar. We’ve played them more than anyone else. When the 5-in-a-row anomalous streak happened it was like a knife in the heart.

Clemson-Scar is a tremendous college rivalry and a certain percentage of both fan bases which are obsessed with the other. This is not really true with Clemson-Georgia.

And, I think Georgia considers Florida their top rival, with Georgia Tech and Auburn right behind UF.

May 9, 2018, 3:03 PM

As a UGA fan I have mixed feelings on this. Most UGA fans consider Florida our #1 rival followed by Auburn (and let's be honest, who doesn't hate Auburn?). I can't really get into the GA Tech hate the way most UGA fans do. They rarely challenge us for recruits and rarely beat us. In other words, they aren't usually much of a threat in any way. UGA already has Auburn every year plus someone else from the West. Florida won't be garbage forever. As much as I'd love to see the Dawgs and Tigers go at it, I'm not sure I want to add another nail-biter game to the schedule.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2018, 5:20 PM

Have to say I agree with ya dawg on this one. Personally, I would rather see a match up in the playoff with Georgia than in a regular season game. I think it would be more exciting and carry more regonition on a national level for both programs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't really miss this rivalry. Maybe it's because of the

May 9, 2018, 1:21 PM

whole obnoxious SEC thing, or that we already have one obnoxious SEC rival in Usc, another rivalry I just sort of tolerate. We also have a strange rivalry with Georgia Tech, so it's kind of overkill. Then throw in other conference rivals and upstarts like State and Louisville.

I think overloading and muddying our schedule with more rivalries is a mistake.

I actually think our Florida school rivalries have been more important, FSU for years, and now perhaps Miami, which I have been enjoying more. And our now National race with with bigger brands like Ohio State, Alabama, and Oklahoma is more important (like getting to the CFP), and is what I personally live for.

We already have FSU, GT, TWO non-conference Power 5's, plus usually one or two Top 10 conference rivalry upstarts to deal with. I say we let UGA and Usc beat-up on each other in their SEC east thing.

We have bigger fish to fry now.

It's a good thing every once in a while but agree

May 9, 2018, 2:23 PM

the regular series won't and doesn't need to happen again. I'd rather play a variety of opponents.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Walker never crossed a Clemson goal line

May 9, 2018, 10:44 PM

Just like George Rogers. I told George this while playing golf against him to get in his head. Was I wrong?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.***

May 11, 2018, 3:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better Games make for Better Teams

May 10, 2018, 1:41 AM

I don't mind this at all. Would I want to play them every year? No, but semi-regularly would be fine by me.

Clemson vs Georgia is great for the sport and great for recruiting. Plus the universities are so close it just makes since to get this rivalry going again

I would rather play them than a Furman or Citadel any day of the week.

We have seen in the playoff era you can drop one and still get in

Go Tigers!

Re: My prediction: Our younger Tiger fans will soon share

May 11, 2018, 3:36 PM

older Tiger fans' hate for the leghumpers after visiting Athens.

Right now, they just don't get it.

But they will.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Not many cars have antennas to break off nowadays...***

May 11, 2018, 3:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can’t wait! Clemson / UGA !***

May 13, 2018, 5:10 PM

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic