Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IMO, the call in the Duke/'Cuse game was one that shouldn't
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

IMO, the call in the Duke/'Cuse game was one that shouldn't

Feb 22, 2014, 9:21 PM

have been made. It was way too close to call. I watched it many times, judgement call at best. I can understand Boeheim's reaction, but he crossed the line by definition and the referee had to eject him. With a game of that magnitude, on that stage, it should have been a no call( although, if I was a basketball coach and not a judgmental poster on T-Net, I undoubtedly, and without hesitation would have reacted similarly to Boeheim). The game was entertaining though...GO TIGERS!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You will always be in the right if you treat others as you want to be treated!

You are right... should have been a no call***

Feb 22, 2014, 9:23 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same here - if they let players run all over defenders at

Feb 22, 2014, 9:25 PM

the rim all game, they should continue to let it go at that point.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both calls were bad, but you can't react like that. Cuse had

Feb 22, 2014, 9:25 PM

a decent chance to still win the game as bad as Duke was shooting FTs.

I cited Boeheim's behavior merited ejection...I am ok

Feb 22, 2014, 9:28 PM

with that part, just not the charge.

The magnitude of the game should have absolutely nothing

Feb 22, 2014, 10:05 PM

to do with whether or not a call is made. If the ref sees a violation he should have the guts to call it instead of swallowing the whistle in fear. If it's just not clear, then by all means don't call it, but games should all be called the same, based on the rules of the game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re:Absolutely. Otherwise, you don't need the rules.***

Feb 22, 2014, 10:19 PM

To clarify, I wasn't referencing the magnitude, merely the

Feb 22, 2014, 10:25 PM [ in reply to The magnitude of the game should have absolutely nothing ]

timing. I have watched enough sports to understand that at critical times, the refs historically let 'em play(not saying this right).It is common and expected in all sports. It was a call that should not have been called, regardless of team or venue. JMHO...GO TIGERS!

I'm not sure I follow - so it's not the magnitude, it's the

Feb 22, 2014, 11:04 PM

timing? As in, there are certain times it should be called, and certain times it should not?

Maybe I need to clarify. Whether or not a call is made should not be based on any of the following:

1. The magnitude of the game.
2. Timing (whatever that is).
3. Expectations of players, fans, or coaches.
4. What has historically been called or not called in certain situations.

The only determining factor in deciding whether a call should or should not be made should be whether or not a violation was committed according to the rules, and the rules should be interpreted the exact same way in every game and in every situation. A foul is a foul, a travel is a travel, a charge is a charge, etc. It's just my opinion, of course, but "let 'em play" is a giant load of horseshite, and a total cop-out by officials who are afraid to do their job, and creates the wrong expectation by players, coaches, fans, and announcers.

I'm not trying to pick on you, as I think you are expressing a very commonly held opinion. It's just that "let 'm play" has always been a pet peeve of mine, as I think it's just another way of saying "arbitrary, inconsistent officiating that is not in keeping with the rules or the spirit of the game, but somehow we should accept it".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

that whole ref not deciding the game is crap

Feb 22, 2014, 11:09 PM

by not making a late call they do decide the game
now blowing the call is a whole nother matter

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly! If a player commits a foul and the ref calls it,

Feb 22, 2014, 11:47 PM

it's not a case of the ref not "letting them play", or not letting the players decide it on the court, as is so commonly opined. In fact it is exactly the opposite - when a player commits a foul, or any violation in a close game, he is influencing the outcome, on the court.

And I agree - blown calls and poor officiating are different matters.

- H. L. Mencken

Not disagreeing with you but I think a foul is different due

Feb 23, 2014, 12:06 AM

to being a judgement call by the ref. If the ball goes out of bounds or a player travels there is no gray area. Obviously the calls should be made that need to be made but I think the problem comes into play when you can look back throughout the game and see the same violation called/not called. I posted earlier about the inconsistency of the officiating which I think is the biggest problem and has been.

Curious.....

Feb 22, 2014, 10:12 PM

you say the call shouldn't have been made and I fully agree---I was just wondering how long you've been watching ACC basketball.....this type bullcrap has been going on in Cameron Indoor and (even moreso) in the Dean Smith Center for decades....and there's no end in sight.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have been watching ACC basketball for 30 years, ever since

Feb 22, 2014, 10:19 PM

I was 9 years old. I agree with your assessment, and I know this ##### has been going on since I can remember. Just think the refs should have let em play! GO TIGERS!!!

You nailed it. That has been my biggest gripe over the years

Feb 22, 2014, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Curious..... ]

with ACC officiating, it's not just the obvious BS calls, but the inconsistency. They will call little ticky-tak fouls 30 feet away from the basket and then let four guys bang away underneath the rim, the make-up calls when they miss one earlier, and then the need to get a game back under control.

you are correct, inconsistency can be the worse thing any...

Feb 22, 2014, 10:38 PM

....official can do in any sport.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic