Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deer EPL fans that live in 'Merica.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 202

Deer EPL fans that live in 'Merica.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:13 AM

Why/How do you actaully pick teams? It seems better to just enjoy all the high level soccer with no rooting interest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I randomly chose one after the WC after soliciting

Aug 12, 2014, 10:18 AM

advice from the soccer pros here. Apparently you only want to choose among the top 6 clubs as the rest of the league has no hope.

I chose Everton because Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal seemed way too trendy and because Tim Howard

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I chose Arsenal for no real reason, then read everything I

Aug 12, 2014, 10:20 AM

could about them and developed a real hatred for Tottenham (and Chelsea)

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

everyone hates chelsea***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:36 AM

and Man U***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:39 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's because she looks like BOTH her parents.***

Aug 12, 2014, 11:21 AM [ in reply to everyone hates chelsea*** ]

the loser clubs hate Chelsea

Aug 12, 2014, 1:40 PM [ in reply to everyone hates chelsea*** ]

well, you're right, everybody

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See, it is that top 6 deal.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:20 AM [ in reply to I randomly chose one after the WC after soliciting ]

I don't ever want to be accused of being a front runner with any of my fandom. There is little worse than a front runner. This one guy was once sleeping with one of my friends because he paid for her car insurance. This was during Tebow time. Of course he was a Gators/Yankees/Lakers fan. He also only wore shirts that said Famous on them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIFA 08 helped drastically

Aug 12, 2014, 10:19 AM

Chelsea became my go to and I went with it. One of my favorite players was Michael Ballack before that, and he played for Chelsea at the time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Same way I'm sure you chose the ChiSox

Aug 12, 2014, 10:34 AM

or the way lots of SC residents chose the Redskins.

CFC for me because they are on TV probably more than anyone else. That and my kids no pigs follow CFC so it's a team we can support together.

I guess it's the same methodology used by anyone that pulls for any team in any sport without it totally being a local or alumni type deal.

This is perfectly reasonable.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:37 AM

White Sox were on WGN and Frank Thomas' baseball cards were worth just a bit more than Ken Griffey Jr's, depending on which issue of BBBCM I was looking at.

That is better than my reasons for liking teams. I liked

Aug 12, 2014, 10:41 AM

Will Clark's swing, so I was a Giants fan. I liked Washington State's logo, so I in turn liked Drew Bledsoe and then the Patriots...who I absolutely hate now due to Tom Brady taking Drew's job (I know, he sucked).

Clark was one of my first favorites, I didn't

Aug 12, 2014, 10:43 AM

know about his swing, I just took one of his cards to school in the 3rd grade and it was coveted. I also once had a writing assignment that I wanted to grow up to play for the Oakland A's. I found it a few years back, it made me laugh.

I'm an anti-bandwagon fan

Aug 12, 2014, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Same way I'm sure you chose the ChiSox ]

I want to be different. I don't want to wear a Yankees hat like 10 million other folks.

I was Barves growing up because they sucked, When they actually got good in the early 90's, I dropped them BEACUSE of the million bandwagoners that jumped on the train.

Converted to Expos fans after that.
After Expos moved, I tried to be a Nats fan, but it didn't take.

Now I really pull for nobody in MLB. But I like the little guys (Royals, Pirates, Rays, etc) way better than the big ones.

As for soccer, I've never watched one of those Euro games. My life is busy enough not to need another low-scoring sport to have interest in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont get it.

Aug 12, 2014, 11:38 AM

the penultimate fan experience is your team making it to the top and being the champs, yet when a team accomplishes this you drop them?

Are you a masochist?

I don't know, this wasn't a conscious thing

Aug 12, 2014, 11:51 AM

it just wasn't any fun to be a Braves fan anymore when suddenly EVERYBODY was a Braves fan. I invested hundreds of hours listening/watching/going to see the Braves play when they weren't "cool". Then they make the World Series, and whole world (at least entirety of the SC/GA/ALA corridor) jumps on, when a year before 90% of them couldn't have told me the manager's name.

It just turned me off to them, and I bailed.

You are the textbook definition of a hipster***

Aug 12, 2014, 11:55 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Bet he likes PBR and Turtleneck Sweaters***

Aug 12, 2014, 11:58 AM

And has a leather six pack holder for his bicycle...filled

Aug 12, 2014, 11:58 AM

with PBR.

And a handlebar moustache covered with a hint of PBR***

Aug 12, 2014, 11:59 AM

And an old Expos hat, flat brim...and some PBR***

Aug 12, 2014, 12:00 PM

I guess you nailed me there

Aug 12, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to You are the textbook definition of a hipster*** ]

do hipsters live on a farm, raise animals, target practice in the back yard, and only go into the city once or twice a year? If so, call me the hip man.

I do drink PBR, but that was my dad's brand too. I don't think he was a hipster.

Oh ####, I think hipsters mostly stick to the

Aug 12, 2014, 12:36 PM

city so they can both have convenience and complain. If you start some trend where these folks move out to the country, I may have to hate you.

#CountryHipster...Bet he wears tank tops with his jorts***

Aug 12, 2014, 12:39 PM

fair enough

Aug 12, 2014, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Oh ####, I think hipsters mostly stick to the ]

But them hipster dudes (I think of Kramer as my only hipster image because I have no clue what the modern hipster looks like) have no backwoods survival skills, so chances are slim. They are required to live within 1/2 nautical mile of a Starbucks, right?

I have never been in a Starbucks, by the way (or ever even had a sip of coffee in my life).

I can't keep up with their trends. Luckily, people

Aug 12, 2014, 12:51 PM

can tell within moments of speaking to me that the PBR in my hand has nothing to do with hipster.

Newcastle, because of the beer***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:37 AM

Replies: 26
| visibility 202
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic