Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I agree that an 8-team playoff is only a matter of time. The
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

I agree that an 8-team playoff is only a matter of time. The

Dec 12, 2013, 10:06 PM

resons given here by Frank the Tank blog provide perfect reasoning. I also happen to think that the auto bid for conferences will Make Notre Dame join the ACC as a full memeber. There would be at-large spots, but the best chance is to be in a conference. According to the blogger, here is why it will happen sooner rather than later.

"Yes, I believe that it’s inevitable for the playoff system to go to 8 just as it was only a matter of time that we went from 2 teams playing for the championship to a 4-team playoff. I would never have said that 2 years ago, but the tea leaves are there for further playoff expansion. Now, as I had intimated in playoff system proposals posts previously (such as this one about a hypothetical 4-team playoff system 3 years ago that actually turned out to be fairly close to what the CFP will look like), the critical question is, “Does this make sense for the Big Ten and SEC?” Anyone can slap together a playoff system that he or she personally would like to see, but the challenge is always about whether the power conferences would ever agree to it.

In this case, there’s a fairly heavy incentive for the power conferences to eventually expand the playoff to 8 teams if they can do the following: all 5 power conference champs would receive an auto-bid. That provides a host of benefits for the power conferences compared to the 4-team system, such as (a) a guaranteed playoff slot annually and all of the money that comes with that, (b) guaranteeing that their respective conference championship games become de facto annual playoff games under their complete control and all of the money that comes with that and (c) making each divisional race within each of those power conferences have national title implications in a way that would increase the competitive and media value of the regular season and all of the money that comes with that.*"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8-Team Play-off Proposal

Dec 12, 2013, 10:12 PM

5 slots for 5 power conference champions
1 slot for best team from all other conferences
2 slots for at-large teams (no more than one from a conference)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that would be awesome.

Dec 13, 2013, 1:06 PM

Play the first 2 rounds of the playoffs immediately after the regular season. Use the results to seed the major bowls. (the two non-eliminated teams go to the championship bowl)

Max it at 8 though. That's enough in my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 would be perfect with four major conferences

Dec 12, 2013, 10:20 PM

Let's see how 4 works out before we head to 8. I don't want these young kids to play a 16 game season.

Four is unworkable.

Dec 13, 2013, 12:11 AM

As soon as one of the 5 major conferences has it's champion left out, that number will change.

As far as playing 16 games (SEC wouldn't like this)

Dec 13, 2013, 5:21 AM [ in reply to 4 would be perfect with four major conferences ]

I say get rid of the conference championship games. Many times you have at least one participant that's about the fourth or fifth best team in their own conference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

"Playoffs would make the season is too long" excuse

Dec 13, 2013, 6:27 AM [ in reply to 4 would be perfect with four major conferences ]

that we heard for years doesn't hold water.

This year every team had a 14 week season including two open dates and add in 15 practices for 70 bowl teams. In a playoff only a small number of teams are extending their season but do you think any player is going to complain?

Cut the season back if you have to but determine a true champion on the field like every other sports does it.

High School State Championship teams play 15 games

Dec 13, 2013, 8:50 AM [ in reply to 4 would be perfect with four major conferences ]

Super Bowl Teams play 19 (or 20 for wildcard teams). I think that the college boys will be OK to potentially play 16 games

With 8 teams, you know #1 is in there somewhere.***

Dec 13, 2013, 6:13 AM

An 8-team playoff is really like a 13 team playoff

Dec 13, 2013, 6:22 AM

The conference championship games in the 5 power conferences act as the first round of the playoffs.

Re: I agree that an 8-team playoff is only a matter of time. The

Dec 13, 2013, 6:55 AM

8 is good but there is no solution. people will still whine of who didnt go. look at hoops 64 was the be all and end all. people started whining and now there are 66. still there is whinning about who doesnt make it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yup the 4 team one is a joke..

Dec 13, 2013, 6:57 AM

we know two sec schools will get in each year.the rest of the conferences will have to battle it out for the remaining two slots.

I agree. Just a matter of time. Someone is going to get

Dec 13, 2013, 7:39 AM

left off one year and cause a big stink. Just like the NCAA BB Tournament.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed....just a matter of time***

Dec 13, 2013, 8:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll move to a 16 team playoff within a few years.

Dec 13, 2013, 8:24 AM

It's inevitable. Too much money to be made and too many teams and conferences wanting in. The chance for someone to get hot late and upset some big teams in a 16 team playoff is a huge draw(like the NCAA tournament).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as I would like to see that I just see them stopping

Dec 13, 2013, 8:32 AM

at 8 to keep the little guys out. At 8 teams the big 5 conferences can control the spots.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The pressure is inherently on to expand the pool.

Dec 13, 2013, 8:49 AM

Conferences team will always want to get a piece of the ever expanding pie. Wouldn't the SEC want Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina and Missouri to get in this year if it were an 8 team playoff? Wouldn't ESPN want that too? Wouldn't every other conference argue to get more teams in, especially if the SEC got 3-4 in every year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The pressure is inherently on to expand the pool.

Dec 13, 2013, 9:41 AM

the 4 team playoff has eliminated the conference tie-in and limits to # of team by conference. an 8 game would likely follow that because where do you draw the line w/ conferences and many at large are stronger than conference champions. it would closely follow the BCS ranking but selected by committee like basketball. FSU would be the only ACC team and the SEC would get in 3.... SC is just out at #9.

Regardless of what scenario you envision, the pressure to

Dec 13, 2013, 9:51 AM

add teams will always be there - be it from the SEC and its minions or the non SEC conferences who feel they are being left out of the pie.

I certainly hope not.***

Dec 13, 2013, 9:59 AM

Dec 13, 2013, 10:05 AM

I like the idea of an 8 team, all 5 conf champ if they are top 10 and 3 at large.

Replace conf champ with at large if not top 10. They can still be picked. At large teams must be top 15. No conf limitations.

Make top 4 seeds hosts for first round.

Use rose, orange, fiesta, sugar, peach, and cotton for second round alternating every 3 years. Bid out NC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2013, 11:26 AM

That's a good 8 team system. U have to make it that every power conference winner gets in bc then like stated that creates 5 extra playoff games. And doesn't water down the reg season. Then 3 at large bids. The committee can still use rankings to determine the playoff seeding. The problem would be the conference tie ins, it wouldn't be fair for the Big10 winner to always play the PAC 12 in Pasadena. Or SEC vs Big 12 etc. but this would create issues w geography and what it is really all about...str8 cash homey

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a lot to learn about a playoff before we progress..

Dec 13, 2013, 11:46 AM

past the four team system.

I don't particularly believe it's about getting it right as it is about maxing out the money. It's going to be a learn to earn type system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Supposedly won't be anytime soon as the 4-team thing

Dec 13, 2013, 1:00 PM

is set for 12 years and has been said that NCAA is adament to sticking to that.

I think we're going to learn an awful lot about how

Dec 13, 2013, 2:30 PM

challenging the logistics would be for anything larger than a 4-team playoff after next year. How will fan bases and programs respond to making major travel arrangements with a week's notice? And for next year and the 11 seasons to follow at this point, that will only involve two, but it's going to be significant.

Someone likened an FBS level football school traveling to moving an entire army on short notice. There's far more personnel and a heavily reliance on massive numbers of fans supporting these teams and filling these massive stadiums. It is a far different challenge than what FCS level schools face. Is it feasible for the fan bases necessary to fill these stadiums to travel all over the country three times in the span of a month? We'll face that with the coming 4-team playoff for all conference programs outside of the Big 12. Imagine upping that to 4 times with an 8-team playoff?

As awesome as an 8-team playoff sounds, I believe the logistical and cost realities involved will make it highly unlikely to occur.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic