Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watched a miniscule segment of Redzone yesterday and saw
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,021

Watched a miniscule segment of Redzone yesterday and saw

Dec 17, 2012, 8:47 AM

a flag for hitting a defenseless receiver. Watched the replay, and then decided to change the channel to Ancient Aliens. The NFL is basically touch football now. Unless it is a handoff in the backfield, the only way to disrupt a pass is to sack the QB,albeit it gingerly,block the pass at the line of scrimmage,knock it down by the DB,or intercept. Any, and I mean ANY significant contact against the receiver will lead to an automatic first down. Running plays are tackle, pass plays are flag football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watched a miniscule segment of Redzone yesterday and saw

Dec 17, 2012, 8:53 AM

Yep. Goodell has turned that league into another version of the NBA. It is showing in the stands as well. I do not watch much NFL for the reason stated above, but I have noticed when turning on the TV a lot of fans are completely turned off from attending NFL events.

If I am player I understand and assume the risk of concussion as the game is inherently violent. This is why you get paid the salary you do.

I cannot totally fault Goodell

Dec 17, 2012, 9:03 AM

As the concussion science continues to show serious brain injuries resulting from repetitive head trauma, it is only a matter of time before the NFL starts getting lit up with claims.

Re: I cannot totally fault Goodell

Dec 17, 2012, 9:11 AM

Timmay,

With that reasoning the following professions will be shut down.

1. Armed Forces
2. Police
3. Fire Rescue
4. EMT

Basically any job with an inherent risk to personal safety is done.

You knew going into your profession that a concussion could happen. You knew going into the armed forces you get could get shot. You knew that if you were a firemen you could burn alive. How in the world you can file suit for an inherent part of the job is beyond me. Nobody is making anyone play this game. Nobody. If you feel your health is threatened. Don't play. Its as simple as that. The lawsuits will come because 2000 idiots blew their NFL salaries on strippers and blow.

Dec 17, 2012, 9:28 AM

I agree. But was saying that Goodell is only preparing himself for that reality, in so far as being aware of the science and trying to negate/eliminate the safety issue as best as he can.

Dec 17, 2012, 9:39 AM

I am for safety. That being said. During war is a General going to stop the fight and say "due to safety concerns we would like everyone to use rubber bullets" During a fire is a firefighter going to stop at a house and say "man that is just too dangerous we are going to have to let the people in that house die" During a drug raid is a police officer going to say "man I really want to bust those guys, but I don't want to get shot so call it off"

You know at the end of the day once you begin a professional football career injuries are a very real possibility (including head injuries). If you do not want to get shot do not join the police force or armed forces. If you do not want to get burned do not join the fire department. And finally, if you do not want to get an injury do not join the NFL.

I will say this. The only good thing to come out of this is better concussion standards before re-entering a game. They do a much better job of not letting guys go back in. Just don't change the game due to a factor you cannot control. For those of you who do not know most concussions happen during practice.

Dec 17, 2012, 11:55 AM

Your comparison is not Apples to Apples and borders on offensive. War is not a game but a matter of life and death. Thank God for the men and women who knowingly and willingly accept that responsibilty. The same can be said for policeman and for fireman and others. Football is a gameit is entertainment and not a necessity. People used to go to the colliseums to see gladiators! Sometimes I think our national mentality is not far from those days!

Dec 17, 2012, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: I cannot totally fault Goodell ]

So are you saying these organizations don't take the necessary steps to protect their people? just cause you are in one of these professions does not mean that steps are not taken to minimize risk. the military is not going to send you naked carrying a knife to take out a machine gun nest. perhaps its getting harder to make a solid hit, but aren't they "professionals." Shouldn't we expect them to be able to play with some skill.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2012, 9:44 AM

Absolutely not. The NFL has gone above and beyond the necessary steps to protect their people. They are now trying to control something that cannot be controlled (injuries)

Instead of flags protecting receivers

Dec 17, 2012, 10:03 AM

maybe the offense shouldn’t throw the ball over the middle or in a way that the receiver will get lit-up by a DB DOING HIS JOB

OC’s & QB’s fault not the DB’s.

ANd there you have it. Do you think a kick cover guy just

Dec 17, 2012, 10:29 AM

hauls butt down field looking at his girlfriend in the stands? No, he is looking out for someone that is going to clean his clock.

A price has to be paid

Dec 17, 2012, 11:43 AM

for throwing the ball over the middle.
Don’t do it, if you know the possibilities & don’t want to pay the price

These dang flags are the reason you see pass happy offenses today and ground and pound offenses of yesterday

They have taken away the price to pay

People forget HITTING is what MADE football

Should not even try to compare stats in different eras—different game

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,021
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic