Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some important points made in this piece.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Some important points made in this piece.

Nov 17, 2020, 10:11 AM

And a realization occurred to me yesterday, too. We know, without doubt, that Trump will stick around in politics--he's maneuvering to stand up his own FOX-killing media empire as we speak. But I think I was kind of telling myself that the GOP could gradually distance itself from being the Party of Trump once he was out of office, and I'm coming to realize that this won't be the case at all. He will still wield the power to make or break the careers of those still in office, by stumping for them or against them. 2 years from now, if a Senator crosses him, a single tweet could ruin that Senator's 6 term run (which, let's be honest, shouldn't be happening anyway).

Anyway, some interesting takes on how the subversion actually works from a guy who has seen it in action in other countries. It's way more subtle than we assume, nothing like dictatorships of 100 years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/16/us-attempted-coup-donald-trump?fbclid=IwAR3ze678guAw2gHLsJD2Lwh8XSZh96Owk_JKeO0_BViv_68tTMRn8KHJ8Kc

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some important points made in this piece.

Nov 17, 2020, 10:36 AM

De facto soft coup = the last 4 years

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excuse me? GOP had a Senate majority for four years

Nov 17, 2020, 12:01 PM

and the house majority for the first two.

He could have had his dictatorship were it not for the 2018 election.

Your soft coup is more accurately framed as a great example of our system of checks and balances. Sorry you don’t our constitution. As some people used to say, love it or leave it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only reason Trump is dragging out the election is the same

Nov 17, 2020, 11:16 AM

reason he ever does anything... money. He will keep his name in the news for as long as possible. He will keep his cult followers intact and energized, long after he has left office. He will drain as much "power" and "name recognition" as he can possibly squeeze out of it. He will make millions off his followers until the day he dies, and then some of his family members will pick up the torch. It's really quite simple. It's the only reason he ran for President in the first place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

The Dems are the experts at this, Trump learned from them

Nov 17, 2020, 11:22 AM

...the hard way for the last 4 years.

I guess y'all can dish it out but you can't take it.

(It's sad that our country has come to this)

I can take any and every thing. I'm neither Rep nor Dem, but I do

Nov 17, 2020, 11:24 AM

have eyes, ears, and a fully developed brain stem. Comes in handy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF that's true....

Nov 17, 2020, 11:27 AM

... then you should agree this goes both ways.

Dems aren't innocent babes in the woods.

Nov 17, 2020, 11:29 AM

But the Dems certainly don't have a populist cult of personality that is worshiped over party and politics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUnext - Oh absolutely, unequivocally YES! A million times

Nov 17, 2020, 11:34 AM [ in reply to IF that's true.... ]

yes. I despise what has happened to both parties... and their "leaders". But sadly, we have no other options, do we??

Re: CUnext - Oh absolutely, unequivocally YES! A million times

Nov 17, 2020, 11:48 AM

I don't know Moo, but we have to change something.
Constant division & fighting IN OUR COUNTRY is rapidly destroying it.

Re: CUnext - Oh absolutely, unequivocally YES! A million times

Nov 17, 2020, 12:17 PM

CUnext said:

I don't know Moo, but we have to change something.
Constant division & fighting IN OUR COUNTRY is rapidly destroying it.

You are absolutely right about that CUnext. We have to find a way to agree to disagree without demonizing each other. Unfortunately, both the left and right-wing media make billions exacerbating the divisions. They promote the demonization of the other side because it keeps viewers and clicks.

The 1st amendment is extremely important but we have to find a way to reign in media. At a minimum, they should go back to labeling "editorial or opinion" as distinct from 'news'.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know man, we have to change something...but what? It's so

Nov 17, 2020, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: CUnext - Oh absolutely, unequivocally YES! A million times ]

depressing because I have no clue, I'm not that smart. I do know that the vast majority of the people in this country are good at heart. We all want the same things, to a degree. And the degrees can can be debated, but now we can't even make the common sense stuff stick. I don't know, it's all such a cluster...

I think it’s more about the person than the party, but yes.

Nov 17, 2020, 12:09 PM [ in reply to IF that's true.... ]

Dubya has pretty much given up politics and done his own thing. He does some speaking engagements and such, but isn’t hanging around like Trump will. Obama has some. Most of his involvement has been help other Dem candidates, not really himself. But unless there’s an election Obama remains pretty quiet and uninvolved for the most part. We will see how much trump is involved after he leaves. I’d bet it will be slightly more or equal to Obama.

Dubya has pretty much given up politics and done his own thing. He does some speaking engagements and such, but isn’t hanging around like Trump will. Obama has some. Most of his involvement has been help other Dem candidates, not really himself. But unless there’s an election Obama remains pretty quiet and uninvolved for the most part. We will see how much trump is involved after he leaves. I’d bet it will be slightly more or equal to Obama.

It's remarkable how many seemingly intelligent people

Nov 17, 2020, 11:26 AM [ in reply to The Dems are the experts at this, Trump learned from them ]

can't identify and acknowledge that Trump is one of the purest grifters to ever walk the earth.

You're so MYOPIC with your TDS

Nov 17, 2020, 11:29 AM

You turn a blind eye to everyone else because of the furious rage that consumes you.

Case in point.

Nov 17, 2020, 11:32 AM

Trump spent 40+ years being a grifter before becoming President. He didn't suddenly change. You just convinced yourself that he did.

Re: Case in point.

Nov 17, 2020, 11:36 AM

Boy, you are spot on there, Trigger!

Remind me how EVERY CAREER POLITICIAN made all their million$$$......

Re: It's remarkable how many seemingly intelligent people

Nov 17, 2020, 11:37 AM [ in reply to It's remarkable how many seemingly intelligent people ]

We literally have an emerging media market that will rake in billions off this delusion by pandering to it. At what point do we require it be broadcast in Bold letters, much like a warning label on a pack of cigarettes, that "THIS IS NOT NEWS" on media legally deemed entertainment news.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big Tech Hearings on Capitol Hill as we speak***

Nov 17, 2020, 11:40 AM

Twitter Jack Dorsey, "We made A MISTAKE"....

Nov 17, 2020, 12:12 PM

... since Oct of 2018 TWITTER ALONE...

CENSORED 194 tweets by Trump campaign

CENSORED 000 tweets by Biden campaign

(Hey, what's the BIG DEAL about one mistake?)

Re: Twitter Jack Dorsey, "We made A MISTAKE"....

Nov 17, 2020, 1:11 PM

Yeah, how come Twitter only censors liars?

Similarly, it's unfair that a whole bunch of the Trump campaign team were arrested and convicted of crimes, while no one on Biden's team was. Bias!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: The Dems are the experts at this, Trump learned from them

Nov 17, 2020, 2:57 PM [ in reply to The Dems are the experts at this, Trump learned from them ]

next,

Let's say you are right. How do we get off that track ?

We need the real Republican party back. GOP needs

Nov 17, 2020, 12:01 PM

to deplatform, deligitimize, and defund him and his followers...make them a third party, because third parties fail. Yes it would be painful for the GOP, but it would be a helluva lot better for America. If this doesn't happen, you can see what's coming...the next guy/gal will run the trump playbook, and they won't be as stupid about it. It could even be a whackadoodle celebrity that could run on the Dem ticket. Somebody like Oprah runs and goes nuts, God tells Kanye he should be a Democrat, Elon Musk gets tired of govt funded enginerding and decides it would be easier to get elected POTUS as a Dem than a Pub, or God forbid Zuckerberg runs on a FB party ticket. You think people like Elon and Zuck haven't looked at Trump and thought,"Hmmm, and he's a dumb, narcissist, sort of billionaire....I'm a real billionaire and I'm actually smart...I could do that SO much better". Will Mark Cuban run? Seems more stable than the others, but the US is more than just a business to run.

Do you really want to be taxed for govt funded self-driving Oprahmobiles? Not as unrealistic as you think...the last guy tried to wall off Mexico, ya know.

This is quite rich...

Nov 17, 2020, 1:34 PM

You guys bemoaning what Trump may do if he in fact loses the election. Meanwhile, Obama's out there with his usual narcissistic arrogance saying Republicans don't like people who 'aren't like them'. What a pathetic, petty little man, still sticking with his 'bitter clinger' clap trap and using 60 year old, worn out tropes to disparage anyone who disagrees with his ilk.

Enjoy your Oprahmobile.***

Nov 17, 2020, 2:25 PM

Re: This is quite rich...

Nov 17, 2020, 2:59 PM [ in reply to This is quite rich... ]

coot,

Have you got any mirrors in your house ???

Re: This is quite rich...

Nov 17, 2020, 3:13 PM

Of course. Including one on the bedroom ceiling.

Don't mind being called 'coot' either, even though I'm a tiger through and through. Heck, call me anything, just don't call me late for cocktails.

How in the world did 70+ vote for Trump? That's the issue

Nov 17, 2020, 3:19 PM [ in reply to We need the real Republican party back. GOP needs ]

The Republicans can't delegitimize that many people without killing their own party so they'll have to go along with Trump as their de facto leader because they have to. They've moved too far away from the composed, and competent leadership of Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and John McCain. They have fully embraced idiocy and they value incompetence.

I believe that the Republican base has gone from wanting a limited Government to wanting no Government. They've long used propaganda themes of the government being incompetent to sell their message of a limited government only to hypocritically grow the government once they were in power, but at least they did it competently. I think that's why they say Trump isn't a politician. He actually is incompetent and while he's grown the federal government and the power of the executive, he's also done it incompetently which is exactly what the Republican base wants. They want to see the Federal Government embarrassed. It ties into the "elitism" they so deride. It borders on wanting true anarchy, and it's hard to say after these last four years of Trump, they aren't closer than ever to that goal.

I would hope that a good 75% of Republican voters

Nov 17, 2020, 3:47 PM

would choose composed competent leadership over the d u m b a s s e r y of the last 4 years, but you could be right about this. If it becomes a question of which candidate can garner the idiot vote (and idiots do have the right to vote) we might be looking at President Hannity or Carlson in 4 years; but I would hope a serious politician like a Haley or Hogan would out primary populist paper candidates.

My hope is that Americans would not reach for the sparkly, loud, cheaply made toy again and grab onto something real.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic