Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I can see where the criticism of Morris is coming from
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,223

I can see where the criticism of Morris is coming from

Sep 2, 2014, 11:42 PM

BUT, I do not think it is warranted, minus a few small parts (but I digress). Chad Morris is an excellent coach. UGA knew this going into it. But UGA also knew that forcing Morris to not be able to run his offense the way he typically does, would mean very good things for the Dawgs. This is exactly what UGA's gameplan was. They did everything possible to keep pinning Clemson inside the 20 yard line, a place that Chad can't be creative in his play calling. I don't care who you are, when you're down 3 or even 10 points in a ball game, you can't afford to be overly aggressive in your play calling. Had Chad called very aggressive plays at that point in the game, he runs the risk of doing 2 things:

1. More aggressive offense = more potential for game altering turnovers (see Clemson vs FSU/SCar 2012 & 2013).
2. His first year starter, playing his first game on the road in one of the nation's most hostile environments, could quite possibly become extremely rattled by committing a turnover in such a crucial situation. Maybe Stoudt has the mental capacity to stay composed in a situation like that, but that question will remain unanswered for now.

Granted, when you're down 17 you have no choice but to be that aggressive, otherwise you essentially are handing them the ball game. That is one of the only criticisms I have of Chad Morris in the UGA game, along with not utilizing Gallman, Leggett, Kitt and Scott more. Overall though, Morris did the right thing playing conservative at times, especially considering the playmakers we have at WR (or went into the game thinking we had, at least). Screen passes and HB Misdirection plays just aren't the same without Sammy or Andre though.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ur stuuuped

Sep 3, 2014, 12:57 AM

Nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ur stuuuped

Sep 3, 2014, 12:57 AM

RUN THE OFFENSE

Re: Ur stuuuped

Sep 3, 2014, 6:30 AM [ in reply to Ur stuuuped ]

"Ur stuuuuped", says the "Clempzen tygurs" fan.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can see where the criticism of Morris is coming from

Sep 3, 2014, 1:02 AM

I've been trying to be calm about this but it was eerily similar to the 2012 South Carolina game. A team that can run the ball keeping the Clemson offense off the field and Clemson unable to get into rhythm. I rewatched the game and noticed that Clemson's offense made a plethora of small mistakes. Linemen missing assignments, balls that were slightly off, recievers running bad routes etc. I like to think that this is al correctable, it is after all the first game, but I also worry that it's a formula teams with good running games and a solid defense can follow.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You get 4 tries to move 10 yards......

Sep 3, 2014, 4:52 AM

that is the fundamental rule of football. You gotta be able to get more than 2 1/2 yards on every snap of the ball when it has to be done. It is the same whether on your own goal line or the 50. Granted there is more room for error on the 50 but the concept is the same. Move the chains.....

Then you can get the field position you want.

Message was edited by: JParris®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can agree with that, we should be able to get

Sep 3, 2014, 6:28 AM

10 yards on 3 attempts (essentially) regardless of whether we run a Wing-T, Air Raid, Pro, Spread, or any other type of offense. That is fundamental football. Nonetheless, Chad excels in situations where he doesn't have to revert to "fundamental" offensive plays. Just because we SHOULD be able to move the chains regardless of field position, it doesn't necessarily mean we will. I'm not saying thats okay either.

Morris's biggest problem is that he has no backup plan

Sep 3, 2014, 7:00 AM

When his plan stops working, he withdraws into his turtle shell and...he doesn't panic, exactly, but he starts getting desperate. And all it does is let the other team build momentum. It was obvious to everyone watching after, oh I dunno, the fourth 3-and-out that "conservative" was not working. But he kept doing it. If we were going to go 3-and-out anyway, why not air it out with some screens, mid-range passes, and so forth to keep the secondary from cheating up? I realize Stoudt wasn't being given the protection to throw many long balls, but surely we could have worked in any variety of 5-to-8 yard pass plays.

Don't get me wrong, I like Morris and I'm glad we have him. But he does have some weaknesses, and an inability to adapt is one of them.

Re: Morris's biggest problem is that he has no backup plan

Sep 3, 2014, 7:25 AM

Morris panicked, plain and simple. Unfortunately, We've seen this before...

Re: Morris's biggest problem is that he has no backup plan

Sep 3, 2014, 7:48 AM

hey, being pinned down inside our twenty is like being inside of their ten yard line. We have a hard time moving the ball. Our system doesn't work in this situation. We need a bulldozer back or lineman to carry the ball. We might need to use two tailbacks instead of one. Anything but what we are doing because it still is not working. We keep doing the same thing expecting different results and it is not happening. Try something different!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2014, 7:45 AM

Georgia used a similar defensive Game plan that South Carolina used last year which was to blitz one or two guys up the middle. This hurries the quarterback in passing situations and generally plugs up the middle during runs. There are four easy ways to combat this:
1. Running back screens;
2. Tight end screens;
3. Slant passes;
4. Run option off tackle attacking the defensive end.

All of these will slow the blitz. I don't remember us using any of these except for Watson's first play where he ran the run option successfully. Rich Rod would have had a field day. Auburn will chew Georgia up.

Defensive players and kickoff coverage guys were taking themselves out of the play. Defensive players did not attack the blockers. Instead, they were trying to tackle the ball carrier around the blocker. This won't work especially with big, strong runners. Need to clog up the blockers and prevent forward motion. Need Boulware to be the wrecking ball. Too tentative on defense.

when he was calling those sideline passes

Sep 3, 2014, 8:04 AM

or wide receiver screens when we are down by 10 and we have not done anything all half, there is something wrong

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Sep 3, 2014, 8:04 AM

USC did somewhat the same. obviously, they both put pressure on the QB to disrupt the rhythm... USC focused on limiting the pass, while UGA focused on taking away the run. either way, it made us 1 dimensional & predictable, which isn't our system.

Sep 3, 2014, 8:25 AM

I am not saying Chad is not a good coach, but we are five (5) loses in a row to the coots, first time in history, have lost the games we have lost in convincing fashion because he played not to lose. Tell me the positive in that, I would rather lose because we made errors then got beat cause we let the opposing defensive coaches just dictate the game and tempo. Chad and Dabo gets out coached cause we are playing not to lose then we see flashes of these potentially great players we do not utilize I do not get that!

I love what Dabo & Co has done but quit playing not to lose!

Sep 3, 2014, 8:32 AM

15 yds the whole second half is not acceptable period. The loss is all on the O. CM will get it worked out but sat night he did not do his job.

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,223
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic