Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
now James Barker sent me an email about booing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

now James Barker sent me an email about booing

Oct 23, 2012, 12:48 PM

and I am not a student.

"Saturday’s football game marked Clemson’s annual observance of Military Appreciation Day, a time when we pay tribute to veterans, men and women currently serving and those who gave their lives to protect us. Clemson has a strong military heritage, and this day is always a special occasion.

Unfortunately, the day was marred by bad behavior from some fans. During the ceremony inducting ROTC cadets into the military, a number of fans booed during the section of the oath they take to obey the President of the United States.

I understand that we are in the home stretch of a heated presidential election and that freedom of speech is a right which makes our country great. Regardless of one’s political leanings, however, this ceremony was a sacred moment to the recruits, their families, and many others in attendance. Many Clemson people have contacted me to express their sadness and disappointment at this public display of disrespect for the office of the President and the young people taking a solemn oath that day. I share those sentiments.

As the election draws closer, negative campaigning is intensifying on both sides. The heated rhetoric and lack of civility we hear every day on TV, radio and in social media can be contagious. But it is possible to hold opposing viewpoints and debate issues without rancor and disrespect – as demonstrated at a recent Strom Thurmond Institute roundtable discussion with political science Professors Bruce Ransom and Dave Woodard.

Political campaigns seek to divide us – to highlight differences in order to drive us into opposing camps. I believe there is far more that unites us, as Americans and members of the Clemson family. These include:
• Our core Clemson values of honesty, integrity and respect for others.
• Our respect for the military and support for our servicemen and women.
• Our respect for the Constitution they are sworn to uphold, which is clear in placing ultimate authority in our civilian Commander-in-Chief, the President.
Passion about issues, commitment to candidates and participation in the democratic process are all vitally important. But when the voting is done, we have one President and he is President of us all.

After November 6, our nation will need to work together to solve the many challenges that lie ahead. Engaging in positive dialogue and choosing the right time and place to voice our opinions will help us do that.
Sincerely,
--Jim Barker
James F. Barker, FAIA
President
Clemson University
201 Sikes Hall
Clemson, South Carolina 29634
Tele: 864.656.3413
Fax: 864.656.4676
"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Just received mine in the inbox.***

Oct 23, 2012, 12:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: now James Barker sent me an email too

Oct 23, 2012, 12:57 PM

it said thanks for not booing so I guess he noticed my behavior.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet his fingers are getting tired emailing all these

Oct 23, 2012, 12:57 PM

people.

I replied and asked him not to email me again until we get a night game in the valley, the woohoo is officially banned, and we get the oculus.

That should keep him busy for a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^^ (+1) ^^^^***

Oct 23, 2012, 1:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just got mine too,... I'm glad Barker feels he needs to

Oct 23, 2012, 1:17 PM [ in reply to I bet his fingers are getting tired emailing all these ]

give a lecture to Clemson fans about the electoral process and how to be good voters.

What a D%#$ joke this guy is!!!

What a pompous A-Hole!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is that really what you took away from his message?***

Oct 23, 2012, 1:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just wish Barker would have gone into a little more detail

Oct 23, 2012, 1:19 PM

on how the electorate college works. I'm still a little fuzzy on that whole process.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

refresher course, no charge, unless the bill is in the mail?***

Oct 23, 2012, 1:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I do know this

Oct 23, 2012, 1:32 PM [ in reply to I just wish Barker would have gone into a little more detail ]

they've never done much in football. dont think they have ever been ranked. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well if they're strictly a basketball school, then they can

Oct 23, 2012, 1:40 PM

expect an invitation to the ACC any day now...

Re: now James Barker sent me an email about booing

Oct 23, 2012, 12:58 PM

I hope Barker put in for the head job at UNC, so he will get the hell out of the place I love.

Re I agree with him but I can assure you that I will not

Oct 23, 2012, 12:58 PM

work with Obummer on anything.

I refrained from shooting the messenger!

Oct 23, 2012, 1:01 PM

Thank you for sharing this. It ticked me off.

I did not boo (though I have very strong opinions of the person in the office). In fact, though, I did snicker at that portion of the crowd for expressing their opinions! And support their right to do so. If you wait for everyone to concur that your dissent is appropriate, no one will ever dissent.

No dissent against George III = no Revolutionary War = no United States of America!

Get over it, folks!

Go, Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has that ceremony occured on past Military Appreciation

Oct 23, 2012, 1:04 PM

Days? I do not recall it being done at the football game in previous years. I am all for military appreciation day but if we keep adding ceremony there will not be time for a college football game.

I got mine too. I didn't boo, but how did he know I was...

Oct 23, 2012, 1:05 PM

....thinking about it. Scary.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

I am going to hold my reply till tomorrow, as I am sure the

Oct 23, 2012, 1:07 PM

alumni administrator inbox is red hot now from all the flame mail replies. It is really quite pompous to email blast a civics lesson out to all fans. Wow, there must not be any work to do at CU if the focus of the entire administration is people booing at a public venue.

Re: I am going to hold my reply till tomorrow, as I am sure the

Oct 23, 2012, 1:14 PM

My guess is the alumni administrator inbox was red hot on Monday morning with messages from people who were offended by the booing. Setting a tone of institutional tolerance and respect is every bit the president's work, and as a fan, alum and former employee, I applaud his efforts to protect Clemson's reputation.

Re: now James Barker sent me an email about booing

Oct 23, 2012, 1:54 PM

Emailed me too, and I was in Wilmington Saddy. Watched the game on TV, but as you know, Patrick and Cunningham were full of themselves and no coverage of the subject of Barker's memorandum.

Someone asked the question if Induction/commissioning had ever been done at half-time. With the size of the ROTC detachment now at CU, a separate ceremony would have been a lot more respectful, as prolly 50% of the fans wouldn't know exactly what was happening.

When I was there, all males took basic ROTC, and 15-20% went advanced and received commissions. how many took the oath Saturday?

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic