Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Housing advice for class of '23
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 72
| visibility 1

Housing advice for class of '23

Apr 1, 2019, 1:35 PM

Howdy from Houston! As the username implies, I'm an Aggie living in Houston with a son enrolling in Clemson as a member of the class of '23.

We toured the campus last summer as a family and my wife and I came to the A&M/Clemson game in '05, so we feel like we have a pretty good idea about the campus and lifestyle at Clemson. We're proud and excited for our son but honestly a little sad that he will be this far away from home. Time to cut some apron strings...

One thing we don't feel like we have a handle on though is dorms. The time to choose is coming and we feel like we're a little in the dark. No scholarships or financial aid so money does matter at some level - hence my fondness for the Shoeboxes.

He won't really know anyone so we're hoping the dorms will be a good conduit to meeting people and a dorm having a "social" reputation will be a big plus. Growing up an Aggie, where fraternities aren't that big of a deal, means he's had little interest in fraternities but we've explained to him that the South is different and he should keep his mind open to it.

He's a finance major, big time into athletics, will play every intramural he can, very conservative and (to my chagrin) pretty into video games. I guess they all are though.

So Tigernet, can you help this Aggie figure out how to describe dorm life at Clemson to my son and help us avoid a housing mistake? Thanks!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Housing advice for class of '23

Apr 1, 2019, 1:40 PM

while we have you here. are you a member on texags.com?

Also were you a cadet?

Apr 1, 2019, 1:43 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Housing advice for class of '23 ]

Yes to the Texags question and no to the CT question.

So this is essentially the equivalent of the General board at Texags. Figured it would be but took a chance. So I guess I have to drop some coin for the premium boards to get a real answer. Which is cool.

Looking forward to the varied and creative answers to come.

Thanks!

Can you please tell

Apr 1, 2019, 2:19 PM

swimmerbabe11 to get her cooch back over here. I have some questions for her

AND TELL HER TO BRING HER TIDDIE PIGS TOO***

Apr 1, 2019, 2:20 PM

Varied? Check.

Apr 1, 2019, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Housing advice for class of '23 ]

Creative? Eh.

We're pretty much a one-trick pony here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

{FIFY}

Apr 1, 2019, 2:38 PM

Creative? Eh.

We're pretty much a one-dick pony here

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imagine a lovely home

Apr 1, 2019, 1:44 PM

and take away:

privacy
Cleanliness
comfort
pest protection
high-speed internet
quiet
running water
easy parking
nearby kitchen
washer and dryer

and that is dorm life in Clemson

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoa, bro.

Apr 1, 2019, 1:49 PM

They have running water. Or they used to in the '90s. Maybe that's a paid option now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah...I even had a sink-urinal in my room.

Apr 1, 2019, 2:40 PM

Honestly, it was the deciding factor in choosing Clemson

Yeah, #### Chic-Fil-A***

Apr 1, 2019, 3:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bent some ##### over our sink in Cope Hall circa September

Apr 1, 2019, 1:45 PM

'01. I wish the same for your boy.

Hope this helps.

You hope he gets bent over a sink?

Apr 1, 2019, 1:47 PM

I mean, if he's into it, cool, but let's not get rapey here or anything.

Trying to find a map

Apr 1, 2019, 1:47 PM

In which Texas is also not considered the south.

Random roommate sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. Had an Indian roommate freshman year and he always smelled like currie.

Fraternities are the devil.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

d00d

Apr 1, 2019, 1:52 PM

I legit thought you were KA all the way

YOu mean, you aren't ?

April Fools, or something.***

Apr 1, 2019, 2:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I believe the correct term is "Southern Patriot".***

Apr 1, 2019, 2:35 PM [ in reply to d00d ]

Only those opposed to Yankee agitators who

Apr 1, 2019, 3:30 PM

started the Wa-wuh of Naw-thun Aggreshun

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He won't be a real student unless he lives at The Pier

Apr 1, 2019, 1:48 PM

for frosh year. Make sure they give him the REAL hardwood floors (none of that engineered crap) and of course, the outside fireplace needs to have a working gas connection. No sense in him having to get firewood at BountyLand and soil himself by being near the Seneca lake commoners. The marble counter tops should still be spotless, that is if they finally upgraded from that gauche granite that was there a few years ago. Also, make sure the SubZero fridge is operating at it's peak. I'd hate to see Jr's PBR and Schorschbrau's Schorschbock bottles get above 38 degrees.

His Range Rover (or, since you are from Texas, F250 King Ranch diesel) should be fine out there, if not a little dusty at times. I've heard some of the plebeians even ride a shuttle to and from campus, but on the odd days that he actually makes it to class, its better not to have to deal with those ruffians.

They have one room "tiny houses" that you can rent for the help to live in, but just don't let them know they aren't students. Luckily, they are a short walk from the main houses in which your son will stay, so Consuela won't have to walk far in the rain to lay out Jr's clothes for the next day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obed scok***

Apr 1, 2019, 1:56 PM

Pics of your son? Is he cute?

Apr 1, 2019, 1:51 PM

I'm looking for a bottom.

Found OP

Apr 1, 2019, 1:55 PM

Can someone translate these homer sexual baseball signs?***

Apr 1, 2019, 2:14 PM

Re: Can someone translate these homer sexual baseball signs?***

Apr 1, 2019, 2:37 PM

Farmers Fight
Farmers Fight
Farmers Farmer Fight
Ehhh!

It's very inspirational.

when that donkey show start?***

Apr 1, 2019, 2:39 PM

Re: Found OP

Apr 1, 2019, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Found OP ]

Correction:

Farmers Fight
Farmers Fight
Fight. Fight.
Farmers Farmers Fight
Ehhh!

Been a long time..

You're not helping yourself.***

Apr 1, 2019, 3:00 PM

I'd recommend any of the barracks. Some of the newest dorms

Apr 1, 2019, 1:54 PM
barracks1.jpg(90.8 K)
barracks2.jpg(149.7 K)
barracks3.jpg(179.9 K)

on campus.

You were talking about 1923 right?

I remember getting written up many times in the dorms

Apr 1, 2019, 2:12 PM

Here's some PRO TIPS:

1) don't drink with the door open. Sometimes the real Poe-lease make rounds in the dorms and not just the RA's. I totally got busted for that once but luckily I went to PTI and got it expunged.

B) don't let him be that ### that jams out on the guitar ever day. ####### annoying when I'm trying to study or watch TV or jagg off.

III). THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE HERE. If you get one of those loft beds, it takes away your ability to do doggy style seggs on people unless you're a short man. I'm assuming a man of your status has a son that is not a pittily > 6'0 tall. He will hit his head on the ceiling. It's only power missionary on those bad boys and you caint get too crazy or elsen if you fall off it's gone hurt.

Also, I was on the 10th floor of Byrnes. Elevator was

Apr 1, 2019, 2:18 PM

a necessity. If he's on the first 2 floors tell him take the stairs or he'll take an asswhooping.

Also, someone smeared poo in the buttons one time and it stayed there for like a month. IT STANK.

High five, I was on the 10th floor too. Your post brings up

Apr 1, 2019, 2:22 PM

another point I should have touched on though, and that is to NEVER USE PTI FOR AN MIP. Save that for felonies.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

aNY JUAN EVER SHAT THE ELEVATOR WHILE YOU WERE THERE?

Apr 1, 2019, 2:26 PM

seemed to be a chronic problem my only semester there in Fall 04

No, they had a problem with someone pooping on the

Apr 1, 2019, 2:31 PM

front desk at Mauldin Hall though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we had 10'+ ceilings at el shid

Apr 1, 2019, 2:20 PM [ in reply to I remember getting written up many times in the dorms ]

never had to worry about bumping my head on the ceiling

Why would you since you were on all 4's?***

On most important point.....

Apr 1, 2019, 2:29 PM [ in reply to I remember getting written up many times in the dorms ]

Keep in mind I only lived in Johnstone....

But why in the #### would you #### on the top bunk? I can only hope you at least told your roomate to leave, or waited until he left for a weekend. Assuming that, #### all over the room. Surely there's plenty of room on the floor (lay a towel down=protip). The Johnstone wooden desks are the perfect height. And the trunk/coffee table was awesome. Sit her on the sink too.

The bed was about the only place I didn't #### in Johnstone.

No sink in Byrnes

Apr 1, 2019, 2:38 PM

only the floor, footon, or bunk. Floor was hard as a rock and prone to carpet burns. I didn't want to stank up the footon with fresh ####### smells. Plus Tickle_It's GF at the time was a lil on the PsychoTea fettish side, but closer to a buck fiddy than his preferred deuce and ahalf.

Yes the roommate was out of the room but he did walk in once while it was happening. Came in and yelled "#### IT SMELLS LIKE SEX IN HERE."

Whale there's always a soft grassy spot on the 50 yardline

in Death Valley. ;)

there was also a soft grassy spot

Apr 1, 2019, 2:47 PM

on top of that bunk

Real answer from a more recent grad

Apr 1, 2019, 2:12 PM

I was there 09-14 and lived in the shoeboxes my freshman year. I definitely met a lot of people that I am still good friends with from my time there. It's certainly not the most glamorous living, but as far as being a social place, it is what you make of it. There were a lot of us on our hall that hung out regularly, played intramurals together, etc. And then there were a few people on our hall that I saw maybe 3 times a semester because they never left their room and always had their door shut.

I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else if I could go back and do it again based solely on the friends I made while I was there.

ROH

Johnstone is that x5

Apr 1, 2019, 2:42 PM

Been 20 years since I graduated. Still friends with guys I met freshman year in Johnstone.

Johnstone is mostly gone and what's left isn't going

Apr 1, 2019, 3:32 PM

to be there for long I'm sure.

ROH

If I understand what you're saying here...

Apr 1, 2019, 3:36 PM

WHAT'S LEFT OF JOHNSTONE IS GOING TO BE HIT BY AN APOCALYPTIC METEOR STORM?!?!??!??

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it is known.***

Apr 1, 2019, 4:02 PM

ROH

Been a while since I've walked the halls of

Apr 1, 2019, 2:13 PM

Johnstone, but its got to be better now...there was no where to go but up. Kinda like a voluntary prison camp in the late 80s. We had Dave the Eye-talian, Redneck Todd and his silent monster roommate (guy was like 6'10" quiet as a church mouse in an odd way). Two doors down and across the hall was the chronic ma$turbator; his roommate got homesick and left in the first couple of weeks so he had a room to himself...and, well, in the Tin Cans, you can hear err'thing; and I mean err'thing. Next to him was some kid named Trip that was a small time bookie, the best I could tell. Not sure he made it, with not going to class and all. The Jesus Freaks were the next door down, you could absolutely count on them to tell the RA if any alcohol policies were being violated. They were fun.

Dorm life is kinda like living in an R-rated Dr. Seuss book, thats probably not changed a whole lot. Good luck to the young man.

Much different for me.

Apr 1, 2019, 2:21 PM

No one ratted anyone else out. We all jerked off. Worst thing is someone bangs on the wall and yells for you to finish already when you had a girl in the rack with you. All good fun. Pee in the sink, etc. Only rule our RA has was he did not ever want to "see" any alcohol. So whatever you could get to your room, and keep your door closed, and dispose of cans when he was in class...no problems at all. First night in Johnstone our RA invited us to his frat's party. Free beer, etc. Never had an issue.

Only one guy in Johnstone I didn't like, and he was a friend of a friend and lived in another section. Put nair in his roomates shampoo bottle. Takes that to make me not tolerate you.

Not sure if anything has changed in 15 yrs

But the shoeboxes were great.

Close to stadium
In room sink (not sure if other dorms now offer this)
Big closet
Close to Sirrine (assuming the business classes are still there)
Chick dorms right there
Close to dining

I struck out on the random roommate, but such is life

I don't have any housing advice for you, but be advised that

he most likely will get into trouble with Clemson police. It's completely unavoidable. The basics of preparing for this inevitable encounter are understanding that you are dealing with a retarded person who usually has a chip on their shoulder. It's a terrible combination. You can run from them though, as they have not shot anyone yet to my knowledge, and generally do not want to put much work into their "policing".

Couple of quick helpful tips:

NEVER buy drugs on or near campus.

If you see an older guy wearing a backpack in a crowded bar, they are 100% law enforcement

NEVER attempt to buy beer underage with a fake ID in Clemson. Drive to Pendleton, or out to Seneca. They literally hide in the bushes and ambush people doing this. No, they don't have anything better to do.

Stay away from Elementary education majors, they're looking for a husband to maintain the lifestyle they grew up with. It won't end well.

Lots of money can be made selling weed if he's smart about it.

Stay off of pills.

I remember when a cop let his gun go off in TTT

Apr 1, 2019, 2:25 PM

Some ho grabbed it and shot the ground.

And we hear from our law enforcement hater

Apr 1, 2019, 2:37 PM [ in reply to I don't have any housing advice for you, but be advised that ]

Glad I went through before cops were such a problem. I've told the story of my KA friend who introduced me to a guy at a keg party once. After about 10 minutes friend tells me he's a SLED agent and the party is about to get busted. Dude then winks and pulls down his shirt where you could see the shield hanging from his neck. #### if he wasn't exactly correct.

Sat there, kept on drinking my beer. Frat has the cops PAID OFF and I was in the clear.

And as always, rule #1 is to NEVER RUN. EVER. Be calm. Drink the rest of your beer. Lay it down. Calmly walk off. Probably a dozen parties busted and I was never even approached by a cop as they were all too busy running after idiots that bolted.

Then the sailing club with the CUPD cop who drove up, rolled his car (engine and lights off) down the hill to the campfire we had, then turned on the blue lights. Just sat there. People bolted in all directions. Fat cop gets out laughing his ### off. We ended up drinking a few beers with him before he left to go home to his ##### wife which he told ALL OF US about.

Yeah, I had zero problems with the cops in Clemson. Scored weed in Johnstone plenty of times. Smoked it on campus many times. Smoked it with a cop once too. They really just don't like people running I've learned.

And that was what, 20+ years ago?

Apr 1, 2019, 2:43 PM

All of those "cool cops" left sometime in the mid 2000's. You have to make a judgement call on running, if there's a good chance of getting away, you take it by god.

Avoid any encounter with law enforcement you can, they ain't your friend, and they ain't there to help you. That's a lesson he can take into adulthood, too.

Running rule goes back to high school

Apr 1, 2019, 2:52 PM

during the Korean War. Odd, but I'll take a gander at all the cop-busted parties I attended when busted...

Mushroom Villa - Garden City circa 1993
Calhoun House - Garden City 1993
Dixon's house at Garden City - 1994 (house almost fell off stilts)
Norah's house (Forest Acres cops) - 1994
Some house off Rabbits Run - 1993ish
Heathwood party at someone's house - 1994
Skeeter's party (can't count the times, at least 4) - 1994-5
KA party near downtown - 1994
Some party in Golden Woods- circa 1997
Apartments near the train tracks - 1998

I know I'm leaving at least 3-4 off, but these I remember clearly. If the party spilled outside any dwelling and people were drunk/yelling, you could count on the cops to arrive at some point.

Also drank in Lot 5 with my parents every game. Never had a problem. Must suck for kids today.

Re: And we hear from our law enforcement hater

Apr 1, 2019, 2:44 PM [ in reply to And we hear from our law enforcement hater ]

19B and I knew the same cop sounds like.

I won't say his name on here, but it sounds like something you get from someone to show how much money you owe them, or the thing that sticks off the front of a cap, or the thing coming off the front of a duck's face.

I'm sorry to be so cryptic, but I must protect his name.

19B®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rhymes with, let's say,

Apr 1, 2019, 2:48 PM

Gill Beddings.

Given what I know about you, you may have been sitting at

Apr 1, 2019, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: And we hear from our law enforcement hater ]

that campfire, or at least knew the cop. He had some sob story about his wife is all I remember. I was busy spitting Youkon Jack on the fire and trying to get laid to pay too much attention.

YES...THAT WAS HIM. It clicked somewhere in the part of my brain where all the dead alcohol cells are stashed.

note to self

Apr 1, 2019, 4:21 PM [ in reply to I don't have any housing advice for you, but be advised that ]

never wear a backpack in a crowded bar

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

We had a discussion regarding housing a week or so

ago on here.

I believe our deer friend Willmo® has some pretty solid advice.

Paging Mister Willmo....

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

congrats Hall of Famer

Apr 2, 2019, 10:29 AM

live off campus

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Who's scok is this?***

Apr 1, 2019, 2:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Just read through this----not disappointed.

Apr 1, 2019, 2:33 PM

Odds Aggie's son actually enrolls this fall at CU after this thread?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

7***

Re: Just read through this----not disappointed.

Apr 1, 2019, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Just read through this----not disappointed. ]

100%

This is his kind of crew. Frightens me actually

In all seriousness, he'll have a great time. TAMU and

Apr 1, 2019, 2:47 PM

Clemson are a lot alike, except being a male cheerleader isn't really bragging rights material at Clemson.

Come up to a game or two each season---you can even wear your A&M gear for non A&M games and you'll likely get treated like royalty. Our fans seem to like each other greatly.

This is true.

Apr 1, 2019, 10:04 PM

I’ve been banging an Aggie going on 10 years now.

Just remember the average age in here is probably

Apr 1, 2019, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Just read through this----not disappointed. ]

40-45yo. Just chew on that for a while.

Yes but Henry's skewwing that***

Apr 1, 2019, 3:23 PM

Median is still close to that. Got an idea.....***

Apr 1, 2019, 3:24 PM

Re: Just read through this----not disappointed.

Apr 1, 2019, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Just read through this----not disappointed. ]

This is probably a Bengaline Scok***

Apr 1, 2019, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Just read through this----not disappointed. ]

ROH

maybe he’s one of the 13-18 yr olds in the pole?***

Apr 1, 2019, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Just read through this----not disappointed. ]

He really should consider renting at Cedarwood instead of

Apr 1, 2019, 2:57 PM

living in the dorms. Unless of course my current renter decides to stay, I mean. Plus there's a .005% discount for bringing me brisket from Lockhart.

Oh, and HOOK 'EM TEXAS A&M LONGHORNS!!!!

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell him to get a saddle and ride leaning forward with...

Apr 1, 2019, 9:34 PM

his butt firmly planted and try to stay in the middle of the saddle for a couple weeks. It will calm down but it will take a bit longer to gentle this horse. It's not that big but it's full of spirit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 72
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic